KLR 02 GREMLINS ANY THOUGHTS!!

P

Pirate

Guest
DEAR FELLOW RIDERS, I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE YOU CAN CHUCK MY WAY. THE SYMPTOMS ARE AS FOLLOWS:- MOTORCYCLE WILL START ONLY WITH FULL CHOKE (EVEN WITH ENGINE HOT) AND WILL STALL WHEN CHOKE IS TURNED DOWN OR THROTTLE IS TURNED SLIGHTLY...........I DID MANAGE WITH SOME PERSISTENCE AND VERY LIGHT MOVEMENTS OF THE THROTTLE, TO BRING THE ENGINE REVS UP AND TAKE IT OFF CHOKE, BUT IT WOULD ONLY RUN AS LONG AS I GAVE IT LOTS OF THROTTLE, SPLUTTERING AND COUGHING ALONG THE WAY (AS IFTHE FUELWERE GOING ON TO RESERVE)..........THE AIR FILTER IS SPOTLESS, THE SPARK PLUG IS CLEAN, GAPPED CORRECTLY AND APPEARS TO BE SPARKING O.K. ITS THE ORIGINAL NGK WITH 14000 KLS. I'VE TAKEN THE FUEL TAP APART ALL APPEARS WELL AND THERE'S FRESH GAS IN THE TANK. THE ONLY THING LEFT NOW IS TO GO FOR A PINT UP THE PUB!!!!
 
S

Sabre

Guest
imported post

imported post

Cracked/dislodged vacuum hose? Lack of vacuum to petcock = lack of fuel flow.

BTW, your caps lock appears to be stuck. ;)
 
S

Starbucks

Guest
imported post

imported post

that's my suspicion as well...did you go into the carb to reject and forget to hook er up again?
 

joker650

Active member
imported post

imported post

Bad fuel cap vent? As in not venting at all. Will it run properly with the cap off the tank?
 

russelldyck

New member
imported post

imported post

take the top off the carb and check the diafram inside, guess they can devlope pin holes and or small tears by them selfs, also check to makesure it is seated properly. Now if there is a pin hole or a small tear yer just gonna have to replace it.

Harley dealers carry a slide/diaphragm assembly, part number 27585-88, for Kehin CVK40 carbs.cost would be around 40-50 bucks. Sorry this is the only part number I could find but it should get you in the right direction. K now I'm hopin on the klr, headin into town and going to A&W for some breakfast before mybrain shutts down

Cheers:hb:, hope this helps

Russ
 
P

Pirate

Guest
imported post

imported post

Thanx for the effort Sabre but no go.......The vaccume hose appears to be 100%. BTW me thinksthe caps lock problem has gone!!
 
P

Pirate

Guest
imported post

imported post

Starbucks, I didn't go into er as of yet to reject anything, so I certainly didn't forget to hook something up!!!....................There is something I forgot to mention however(head bowed low, tail between legs). I don't know ifit is relevant but the problem first occured just beforeI pulled into the gas station. After filling up and not starting I noticed that the choke cable was hanging out of the carb a little way. I snapped it back in but to no effect...........Thanx anyway Starbucks.
 
P

Pirate

Guest
imported post

imported post

I tried that already joker650 but it didn't make any difference. Tank venting appears to be fine. I'm relying on you guys, don't give up on me now........Thanx anyway.
 
P

Pirate

Guest
imported post

imported post

O.K. Russelldyck after reading your response I did go into er... and I checked the diaphram which looks good and I also made sure that I hooked everything up!!! Thanx for the part # but me thinks me should hold off on spending me pieces of eight just yet.............Bloody hell at this rate I'm going to end up riding Annie Sundays 1990 DR.
 

russelldyck

New member
imported post

imported post

you say the air filter is clean, but could there be to much oil still left on the filter, if so simply take a rag and try and get as much if it out as possible, more oil on the filter=less air getting into the carb=running way to rich. Just wondering, has the bike sat for any length of time? If so you might wanna try and taking the carb out and giving it a good soking in carb cleaner then using compressed air to unclong/dry/clean out ports and stuff, but after everything else possible has been checked first.

Now I hope these help :DI'll see what esle I can think of.



Cheers:hb:

Russ
 

russelldyck

New member
imported post

imported post

Oh ya, at 14000klm it wouldn't hurt to change that plug to I just did that along with valve adjustments @ 13000klm, and now run'n better than ever:tup:
 

russelldyck

New member
imported post

imported post

just thought of somethin! drain the float boal and check for any crud that might be floating around in there, it does happen
 
P

Pirate

Guest
imported post

imported post

I appreciate your help Russ. The bike hasn't been sat around at all and I rode it most of the winter asI live on V Island. I've had the carb apart now and eveything looks spotless. As for too much oil on the filter I bypassed the air boxcompletely but to no effect. The fuel line is clear and I know the petcock is working cause I sucked on the vac hose and out came the fuel. In the meantime I can steal a spark plug off Annie Sunday's DR as long as it's the same size and try that. Keep on thinking Russ,I need all the help that I can get.....Thanx mate.......BTW what a bitch that is to get the carb off and on.
 
P

Pirate

Guest
imported post

imported post

Still no joy!!! I tried a different plug but to no avail. Strange that it will only start on full choke.
 

joker650

Active member
imported post

imported post

I don't know ifit is relevant but the problem first occured just beforeI pulled into the gas station. After filling up and not starting I noticed that the choke cable was hanging out of the carb a little way. I snapped it back in but to no effect...........Thanx anyway Starbucks.






I f this is the only thing that had changed right before the problem ocurred..... check further , the problem is most likley here.

I don't know how the choke cable set up is but maybe there is now an air or vaccum leak at this point.

Check for a missing o-ring or retainer bolt. Can you find a pic of the carb with a parts break down. Sounds like something is now missing in this area.

http://http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html#knownissues]http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html#knownissues]http://http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html#knownissues[/url]

or



http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266229&parentpage=2
 
P

Pirate

Guest
imported post

imported post

Thanx for the link joker650. I don't believe this to be the problem but you may well be right. Unfortunately I don't have a workshop manual, so I can't be sure of the situation regarding seals at the carb location. There is a plastic fitting screwed into the carb which the cable then seats into and a rubber sleeve over the both. A small piece of the plastic fitting has broken away at the tip, but I'm sure this wouldn't make any difference. I've checked the vaccumesuckat the carb and it seems good. I see there is now a manual available so I will grab one for sure..........Oh well itlooks like I may have to go to the dealership with this one............Thanx again.

BTW if anyone wishes to call with a possible solution my #is 250 468 7557 Vancouver Island.
 
P

Pirate

Guest
imported post

imported post

Well it's happy days again. I've managed to get the old geezer goin. Still don't know exactlywhat was wrong, however I did strip the carb for a second time including removing the choke cable and cleaned and blew. Boy did I blow.....Anyway thanx to all who sent advice,I really appreciated it.

PIRATE
 
imported post

imported post

Pirate,

Missed your bike problem postings, glad to hear your KLR is ready for"TheZone". See you at the 8.30 ferry on Friday.

Had a very similar problem on my Honda last year. After lots of p-g around it turned out to be a bad sparkplug boot. Since this often caues intermittent run/no run conditions you might want to replace the complete hightension lead. Mightn't hurt to check the coil wires as well, a poor ground causes all kind of oddities????

Rgds Lars
 
Top