New BMW & new to BMW questions

klrroo

Member
Hey Guys, I am new to BMW and just got this '09 f650gs twin. Is there anything that I should watch out for maintenance wise on it? Would you recommend synthetic oil for it? Any tricks and sensible mods that should be done? It has the continentals, tall screen, skid plate, rad guards and bush guards so it is setup pretty good. Another thing I was wondering is if there were wire wheels available for her? Thanks!:cool:

2009 BMW f650gs twin.jpg
 

offworlder

Moderator
Great bike, incredibly versatile. Plenty of aftermarket goodness available, VERY smooth power delivery, wide service intervals. Just hit 15000km on mine, and ZERO issues (other than me taking her places I shouldnt, but she trucked on regardless). Recommend a set of Heidenau K-60s, and the MOD plate and tail rack.
There's been mention of spoked wheels, custom (Woody's) made and taken from the previous thumper iteration (only one fits), although I'm not certain of the details. If planning on going off road on anything more than FSRs, take er easy (read: slow on the bumpy stuff), as the shocks are soft, and the rims are hard, I've already gone through one wheel from hitting a cross ditch to hard to fast. Dont go to low on your (off-road) tire pressures, due to the weight of this bike.
Hope you love her as much as I do mine !
 

klrroo

Member
Good to hear about the mileage and no probs! I only have 1,200km on her so its hardly broken in yet. Yes FSR's only, I have other bikes to abuse offroad and those cast rims look sketchy. This will be my 'Holy Sh!t I hate people and gotta get away' ride. The rack is going to be my first purchase.
 
Top