Newbie to Dual sports

B

BlueRider

Guest
Hey guys great site. I have actually met some of you in Lillooet last year I am sure. Anyways I am considering getting a dual sport. I have always had quads but have also had a few street bikes but last summer I borrowed a new XR650L and had the best ride of my life. I need some general advice here but do not know where to post the question.

I am considering a DRZ400, XR400R(adding kit) or an XR650L. My purpose will be 50% 50% hwy/offroad, with very little single track trails for now. I am a bigger guy 6' 230lbs. I have found a few XR's for sale and prices seem reasonable. Any guidance or tips you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
 

RocketMan

New member
imported post

imported post

If you are planning on plating an XR400 i would rather recommend an XR650R with a kit.If you enjoyed the 650L model you would really enjoy the R model.Only downfalls are no E button and the bike can be a little buzzy on the blacktop with aggresive DOT approved skins.Other than the above they are a very reliable machine,lots off friendly torque,and ergonomically miles ahead of the L model.
 
D

dualsportbiker

Guest
imported post

imported post

Any comments on the Dakar Dual Purpose Kit for the XR650R (2006)as opposed to theBaja Dual Sport Kit or any other kit for that matter?
 

dirtdoug

New member
imported post

imported post

I have an XR 650L and went with it because I like a 650's grunt when out mixing it up with cagers on the highway. The trade-off of course is that it's harder to throw around through the woods. I really only notice the extra weight when I'm coming down a hill... or when I drop it:tup:. I'm a fairly big guy and can handle it.

Like the women in my life the XR 650L is low maintenance. I buy bikes to ride not to work on them and I can't think of a simpler bike design on the market today. Adjusting the valves takes maybe 20 minutes once you know how, threaded adjusters - very easy. Change the oil and go. Plus e-start.

Been around since 93 so lots of aftermarket stuff. Good suspension for the pace I ride at, more aggressive riders would prefer the XR 650R.
 
F

flyinmonkey

Guest
imported post

imported post

my dads got a drz400, and ive gotta say, its one sick bike, i wish i could afford one
 
D

dualsportbiker

Guest
imported post

imported post

I've had an XR650R for about a week. And except for the sometimes easy and some times difficult start there are no problems to talk about. The shiny red bike does get me a lot of female attention, but its when they want to ride with me is when I wish i had an extra seat...

I've been asked so many times that now I am actually thinking of somehow turning it into a two seater...

... and ofcourse no storage space...

but other than that, its a Honda, what more can I say...
 
G

Guest

Guest
imported post

imported post

I have a xr 650l, its getting pretty dated compared to the new stuff from Europe but i still like it. The xr is a very reliable old school design.I think this is the last year for the 650 l ,Honda is probably going to come out with some thing new more like the r model ,fuel injection probably. Hope so anyway.
 

slawrence

New member
imported post

imported post

I purchased a XR650L, 2006 model, back in October. I love the bike. You should get a larger IMS or Clark fuel tank for longer cruising range. My Clarke gives me over 300km range. Since the bike hasn't changed since '93 it's not at all sofisticated. The engine is bomb proof and as easy to work on a lawnmover engine. Just pick up a honda issued service manual for specs.

I would suggest a XLR or Drz if you had said you were going to be 65%+ off road. The DRZ, out side of KTM, is the most dirt worthy of the 400's. The only catch is these bikes rev high on the hwy. and don't have the top end speed. Especially if loaded with a larger weight rider and gear. I can easily pull 120km on the highway without stress the engine or 80/20 knobby DOT Tires (Dunlop D706).

As previously stated, it is a big bike for tight bush wacking. but as long as you can muscle it around its really a hoot. Based on the bikes you listed you will likely be happy with any of the bikes. I just think the XRL is more suited to street use.
 
Top