Stripped threads in F650 cylinder head

DSRW

New member
After adjusting the valves on my 2004 F650 GS I over torqued one of the bolts on the camshaft carrier and stripped the threads on the hole in the head. I think it can be repaired. Do I need to remove the head to do the repair? I can't tell if the hole is just for the bolt or if it goes into the water jacket or something else.
 
O

old trials guy

Guest
imported post

imported post

Without seeing it or knowing the internals of your model I can only give you general advice. It would be typical that the cam carrier bolt hole is a blind hole into the head. It should be quite feasible to install a heliocoil or thread insert into the damaged hole. The big issue will be access to the hole while the engine is in the bike. If there is adequate room to drill out the damaged hole and tap for the thread insert it should be a relatively easy process.

I suggest that you contact Jay at Mongoose Machine in Port Coquitlam. He has many years experience with this type of problem. You can reach him at (604) 464-3460. I have used their services for years and so do many dealers.

Good luck....

otg
 
F

franhoser

Guest
imported post

imported post

I did a similar thing too. Over tightened the head cover that is held by the camshaft holder. Took it to mongoose and was fixed with stailess steel thread.
 
A

awitzke

Guest
imported post

imported post

Sounds like it will need a heli-coil or threaded insert.

Any engine machine shop can do that for you. (be wary of Mongoose, their workmanship has gone downhill over the last few years).
 
O

old trials guy

Guest
imported post

imported post

awitzke wrote:
Sounds like it will need a heli-coil or threaded insert.

Any engine machine shop can do that for you. (be wary of Mongoose, their workmanship has gone downhill over the last few years).

I have known Jay for over40 years and I know he would jump through hoops to keep a customer happy so I am somewhat shocked by your harsh comment.

I have never had a bad experience nor heard of anything but praise from the many friends I know who deal there but everyone is entitled to express their views.

otg
 
F

franhoser

Guest
imported post

imported post

Mongosse is one of the best machinig shops around. Ask any of the pnwma racers where the get their engine work done?
 

Mud-Ectomy

Member
imported post

imported post

I had a head rebuilt at Mongoose about 6 months ago. Great service, turnaround times, and price.

my 2CW

Mud
 
A

awitzke

Guest
imported post

imported post

I didn't say anything about him as a person. But from personal experience on their workmanship, on more than one occasion I've had cylinders sent out for boring come back oval. I'm just voicing my personal experience? If you've had good experience, that's awesome... I haven't so that's just my $0.02 on the subject, take from it what you will and I'll just leave it at that.
 
O

old trials guy

Guest
imported post

imported post

awitzke wrote:
I didn't say anything about him as a person, did I?
I don't think anyone (including myself) suggested you did but this is getting way off topic. Unless anyone else has something on topic to add I agree we should leave it at that.

No harm intended, no offense taken......

otg
 
Top