What Is Causing My Chain To Stretch So Quickly?

D

DjG

Guest
Is this normal?

I have had my DRZ for just over a year now and it wasn't until about 4 months ago that I had to get some of the slack out of my chin for the first time. A couple of weeks ago I tightened her up again, and today I reached the last notch on my adjuster. In the last 4 months have gone from setting 4 to 7 - which I presume is 3cm difference.

I keep 40-50mm slack in the chain as per the specs. I like pulling wheelies... could this be the cause?

-Greg
 

joker650

Active member
imported post

imported post

If your "clutching" wheelies on the pavement your chain will stretch "moocho" !

WOW!!

Thats a lotta strech !!
 

ktmken

New member
imported post

imported post

This started to happen to me on a trip I took last summer. I was having to adjust my chain every 300 hundred miles or so. Time for a new chain. Make sure you change the sprockets also at the same time.

I went with a x-ring chain this time. so far so good.
 
D

DjG

Guest
imported post

imported post

Ya, I've been 'clutching' wheelies at every intersection :D If you're not 'clutching' wheelies how else are you doing them... a burst of throttle?

Thanks,
Greg
 

joker650

Active member
imported post

imported post

Ya, I've been 'clutching' wheelies at every intersection :D If you're not 'clutching' wheelies how else are you doing them... a burst of throttle?
Thanks,
Greg

Yeah........

Six Hundred and Fitty CC's............ and Moocho throttle in 2'nd. It's amazing how fast you get to the next light doing that!!:tup:



hehe..... Went out this afternoon fur a city ride. Many.many wheelies today:D!!

It's soooo fun having 3 weeks off !!





Would be verry easy to get into trouble in the next few weeks.:cool:
Bad Joker...BAAAAAAD Joker!!:mad3:
 
S

Starbucks

Guest
imported post

imported post

the 400 will throw up a throttle wheelie with the right technique, stock...it just takes practice. Now, if I could only hold it at the balance point...
 
J

jha07

Guest
imported post

imported post

I only do throttle wheels on my 400. In 1st it'll come up with no help from me. In 2nd, I have to lean back and give the bars a good tug.
 
J

jburnin

Guest
imported post

imported post

do the airbox mod and Dynojet kit and you'll be pulling wheelies in third, and when you do flip backwards you'll be able to pick your bike up by yourself because it's not a 650.:clap:. Just kidding!!!
 
D

dirtbike555

Guest
imported post

imported post

Stock chains and sprockets are junk. I had the same problem on my Yamaha with stock chain and sprockets. The more miles I got on them the quicker it would stretch. Before I swapped them out I was adjusting the chain every ride. Upgraded to x-ring chain and Ti sprockets and have'nt had to adjust for 4 months. Very expensive initially @ $380.00 but worth it in the long run. They're bulletproof and take my 5th gear wheelies no problem with no stretching. Alot of riding has been in sand with a 8 flap paddle tire too.By the way, whats a clutch wheelie??? :p:p:pThe old 426 will reach for the sky in any gear. (Yeah, Yeah,it's geared down and my top speed is only70 mph! ) :D
 
P

Pirate

Guest
imported post

imported post

It's plain old wore out Greg, so yes this is normal. As for the wheelies, well this is part of the cause when it comes to chain stretching. Of course it also depends on whether you do much dirt riding and how often you lube (most seem to under lube). Another factor is chain tension. Don't forget to tension up with the wieght off the rear wheel and lets not forget quality. The better quality the less stretching. As for the sprockets, if they are screwed then your chain will get screwed. So, now that I've gotten that off my chest, wheelie away till your hearts content my friend. JUST MAKE SURE SHE'S BOLT UPRIGHT........

PIRATE..........
 
D

dirtbike555

Guest
imported post

imported post

Also try using chain wax instead of regular lube on your new chain and sprockets. I've used it for years and will never go back to regular old lube. The trick is to apply it to a warm chain, then if you have time let it cool down and the wax hardens ( I usually apply it the night before a big ride). Lasts longer than regular lube and after its hard it does'nt attract grit.
 
P

Pirate

Guest
imported post

imported post

Thanx for the tip, as soon as mine has expired I shall be trying wax.:tup:

PIRATE..................
 
Top