XR 250 - a real world bike?

B

bark buster

Guest
I have a chance to pick up an older XR 250 dual sport, and I'm wondering if anyone has ever really tried to ride one on a longer trip. It's not for me, you understand, it will be for the easternvisitors who thought theywere goingto ridesomething newer and bigger.

If it will whir along at 100 K it would be fine, and I suspect that it will be about as off-road capable as most older DS bikes - am I right, orshould it continue as a lawn ornament?
 

bmw rocke

Member
imported post

imported post

What year is it? If it is a dualsport it would be an XL250 or XR250L depending on the year. The XR was the pure off road version.

As far as on road riding is concerned I would not want to ride more that a couple of hundred K a day at the most on a 250 dualsport. If you load it up with luggage it will not be all that fun on the highway and will probably only want to cruise at around 90kmph if my memory serves me correctly.

Rocke.
 

North

Active member
imported post

imported post

I had an 1984 XR350R. I loved the bike. But, it was not a bike for long trips. And a 250 would be less so.

But, thats not to say you can't. You just wouldn't do it well on it.
 
B

bark buster

Guest
imported post

imported post

Many thanks for the replies, I think I'll have to go for something bigger, e.g. XR400/600 +. I'll be looking at a 650L and an XR400 on the weekend. I really hate to pay (every year) the added insurance cost foranything over a 400, but I guess it's partof theprice.Is it just my angry opinionor does ICBCset their rates by displacement only? -i.e. a 600 four sport bike is the same cost as a XR600??????
 

North

Active member
imported post

imported post

Your right about the rates, you would think it would go by HP and type of bike.
 
B

bark buster

Guest
imported post

imported post

Iwill eventually have to stop ranting about this, but from myexperience, 100 + hp sport bikes are usually bought by younger riders, and if I compare that combined risk against, for example,a 35 hp and much heavier 650L, which is often ridden in the (kind of) mature hands of older riders.....

I suspect this has come up before, but has the DSBC tried to talk to ICBC about this? I would be happy to helpICBC tosee the DS light.
 
G

Guest

Guest
imported post

imported post

+1 for trying to get the always fair and helpful folks a NaziBC to see the light about HP and rates for Bikes, heck I pay less for my F250 4x4 than my Xr, all the while the same and only operator is in the driver seat at any given time. Cheers to all and see'yall out there.
 
Top