XR650L mods

P

Poul

Guest
Hi guys, I have a stock xr650L and I want to improve the fuel range. I know there are a ton of aftermarket tanks out there but it is hard to choose the best one. Does anyone have any advice (good or bad) on any particular one? Also, what is the best way to order them around here since most are from the US?:?

Thanks,

Poul
 

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
imported post

imported post

Best place to buy a tank is right here at DSBC, decide what you want and PM me, I will get you the best pricing. :)

TT
 
T

t-bone650

Guest
imported post

imported post

Hi Poul,

I fitted an 22 litre Acerbis tank on my XRL and it worked well,300km range and I liked the twin petcock feature,unfortunatly I just sold it on to another DSBC member!!
 

X-R-cu-tion-er

New member
imported post

imported post

hey, i have a 2003 XR650L and this is what i have on it ; oversize clarke tank, renthal fat bars, supertrapp IDS exhaust, UNI air filter, dyno-jet kit. it goes good. i am going to install rim locks and in the future an oil cooler from SRC (summers racing). i was getting numb hands from the vibration resonating thru the bike (especially at high speeds) so i melted some lead and put in right into the hollow of the bar. that along with sandwiching rubber between the bar clamps and running a set of spider grips really reduced the numbing sensation.

jt
 
P

Poul

Guest
imported post

imported post

jt,

Interesting use of a mass dampener. I was thinking of doing something similar to the ends of my mirrors to reduce the vibration on them. Did you put lead in the entire core of your bars? If so I suspect that the part near the center is just adding weight and not helping reduce vibration. I think the theory is that more weight near the ends of the bars is more efficient. Maybe a slug of depleated uranium in each end would work well?:tup:

How is that big clark tank? Have you had any problems with it in terms of fit or movement?

Cheers,

Poul
 

baxter650

New member
imported post

imported post

I also have the Clarke tank on my BRP, no problems other than the added weight. Good mileage even with jetting. Don't put on decals till you run a few tanks of gas through, apparently the plastic will sweat or pass vapor or somthing causing the decals to bubble and peal, i don't know if its BS or not butmine bubbledand came off. Do you still have the smog pump & stock jetting? Well worth getting rid of,fair amount of cheep power. Next mod for me will be a fork brace, i find the forks to be a little on the scawny side. Good luck with the tank.
 

X-R-cu-tion-er

New member
imported post

imported post

hey there, i put approx 9 inches of lead into each end of the bars. i like the clarke tank, its a bit on the wide side but u get used to it, i can get 300 kms (including reserve).

jt
 

blocker

New member
imported post

imported post

t-bone 650

Where did you get your Acerbis Tank from and at what price.

What is the difference between it and a Clark or IMS tank other than 7 liters more??

I have a 2003--XR650L with tank Shrouds, does the Acerbis tank use the shrouds??

Thanks
 

blocker

New member
imported post

imported post

JT--- Does the UNI air filter come with a cage?? and is if fully foam? how does it seem to you.

I have a K&N ---but it is not good filter for high dust loads like in the Baja.

blocker
 

X-R-cu-tion-er

New member
imported post

imported post

hey blocker

yeah the uni filter comes with a cage (plastic and no backfire screen) and it works just fine.i find with the xr's that you have to let them breathe and in my opinion the k&n lacks in that department, it clogs with dust and shit too easy.

jt
 

blocker

New member
imported post

imported post

I put the Acerbis 23 l tank on my 2003-XR650L.

You must cut off the original tank mounting lugs for the tank to fit.

It fits well and works well. I now have several reserve settings with the tank hanging so low on the right side.

Also have to change the position of the front signals, as they interfear with the tank.

I also put a ProMoto Billit rack on the bike, very strong and easy to install.

As far as set up. Taking the snorkle out added 12+% to the max hp--- on a dyno.

Adding in all the baffles to the Suppertrap muffler, rather than half of them added 8% to the hp and a little more noise.

blocker
 

blocker

New member
imported post

imported post

I got the Promoto rackfrom Baja Designs, but you can purchase itfrom http://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/promoto/racks_hon.htm

their price is $155.00 --$5 less than Baja and they provide good service.

Take a look at their site, they have lots of stuff and Bob will get anything additional that is not on the site.

I just ordered a "Scotts" damper for my XR650L plus taller bars, and a mount kit for my KTM 400EXC--- so that I can switch the damper between the bikes. After riding the sand and woops in Baja a few weeks ago it looks like a good way to go-- most of the pre-ride bike we saw had dampers.


blocker
 
P

Poul

Guest
imported post

imported post

I am glad to here there are a few XR650Ls around. My bike is in storage right now for the winter.

The bike is going to need new tiresbefore I bring it out of storageand I am wondering if you other XR650L owners have any comments or recommendations with regards to tires. I do like the aggressive dirt riding with knobby tires but I also want tobe safe on the road.

By the way, do you guys typically rideor trailer to the trails?I find that when I ride the bike all the way from Vancouver I am toostiff foran extendedride in the trails. I think I will buy asmall trailer, what do you folks use?

Poul
 

blocker

New member
imported post

imported post

I usually trailer my bike to the trail--- I have just put on Mitas DOT approved and very agressive tread pattern--that I purchased from DSBC store. I am going to Baja in Jan and will let you know how the tires hold up. Tom T has used these before for Baja and said they are a great tire.

blocker
 
M

Margarita Machine

Guest
imported post

imported post

Blocker,

What Jet kit are you using and which jets did you use with theIDS (R or Q core)and UNI airfilter installed?



Thanks,

Margarita Machine:hb:
 

blocker

New member
imported post

imported post

Since it was 3 years ago don't remember what part of the JD jet kit I used. Yes I installed the Uni filter, it worked great. The Mitas tires didn't hold up that well. An other fellow was on a KTM 640 with Dunlop 606's that did hold up---so I now use 606's on the rear and Perelli MT21 on the front. The Honda did not stand up to the kind of riding that we were doing in Baja the frame sub frame broke 3 times the gas tank connection's also broke several times and needed I to fab some pieces in the field. With 35 lbs on the pro-moto rack (that did hold up) there was to much force on the sub frame and it broke is several places. I purchased a KTM 640 (a bike built for this type of riding) and have had no problem with it ---- other that scratches on the plastic for some reason.

blocker
 
M

Margarita Machine

Guest
imported post

imported post

Blocker,

Thanks for the input and I hope you are enjoying the KTM 640 :dr:.



Regards,



Margarita Machine :hb:
 
Top