XR650L

dirtdoug

New member
Go to leave work today - nothing. Checked the obvious suspects: batteries okay, fuses okay. Power is going to the dash, horn, tailight, turnsignals but not to the ignition and so the headlight doesn't come on with the key. Anybody ever had a problem like this or am I tracing wires to find the short/break? Any other ideas. Sidestand switch checks out okay.

I hate electrical :shoot:
 
O

old trials guy

Guest
imported post

imported post

If it is electric start did you check the starter relay and starter fuse (Honda often mounts a fuse right on the relay assembly)?

If the fuses and relay are good I would first check the ignition switch and kill switch for operation.

More information would be helpful...

otg
 

Mad Max

New member
imported post

imported post

This may sound stupid but did you check all your fuses in the battery box? If you need a wiring diagramP.M. me your e-mail and I can send you a copy from my Clymer manual. Just remember ALL wiring is EASY be it AC, DC, single or 3 phase. ALL wires contain SMOKE.The secret is...IF youlet the smoke escapeOUT of the wires you have screwed-up!

Don't let the smoke out


Max
 
O

old trials guy

Guest
imported post

imported post

Any success getting it started?

otg
 

dirtdoug

New member
imported post

imported post

Worked on it briefly tonight - fuses are all appear fine but I'll change them for the sake of being through. I have access to a new starter relay so I'll try that next. Thanks for your help.
 

dirtdoug

New member
imported post

imported post

Got it

I had a fuse tap plugged into the starter fuse spot to run my heated handgrips. All the fuses in it were fine; pulled it out and popped in a 20 amp fuse into it's spot, bang started immediately. Changed both fuses in the fuse tap, put it back in still nothing - so something's not right with the fuse tap.

Should of known - I had problems with my CBR years ago when months after racing it in Calgary the sidestand kill switch would come on just a hair and kill the ignition. Racing rules require that you pull the sidestand. So I did that and jumped the line to make it work on the racetrack; when I returned it to the street I put the switch back in place. Took me probably a month to figure out why the bike wouldn't run properly (was an intermitent problem so hard to diagnose).

I guess what I'm saying is start with what you've messed with:shoot:. Lesson learned.

Now I can go riding :clap:
 

baxter650

New member
While you are messin with stuff do yourself a favor and coat everything with dialectric grease.
 
Last edited:
Top