'05 DR 200 rear tail light

M

myran

Guest
Riding the other day my partner pointed out that my brake light wasn't working. Back at the ranch I pulled the seat, tank and side covers. I physically traced the wiring as best as I could without breaching the shrink tube covering the wiring harness. No obvious breaks, all connectors are clean and free of corrosion, and, yeah, I even checked the bulb. Any ideas? If there is a fuse block I couldn't find it, and I can't really see why such a low draw would need fusing in the first place. Signals still work, but brake light and plate light refuse to co-operate. Help!!
 

Sparkle

New member
imported post

imported post

Hi myron:

I'm not sure what bike you have, but mostolder and simpler bikeshave a single fuse somewhere near the battery. If this fuse was blown the bike would still run, and the headlight would still work....If your signal lights are working chances are this fuse is still okay. Unplugging and reseating connectors can often solve problems like this.

The tail-light and the brake light are separatewires and the chance that both have a wiring fault at the same time is remote. So, my guess is the bulb socket is defective and either not making contact with the bulb contacts (the spring inside may be hung up).....Or the socket assembly is not grounded to the frame of the bike.

Try another bulb....spay the inside of the socket with wd40 and make sure the contact plate moves freely on the spring...make sure the socket is grounded to the bike frame....check for voltage at the socket with a test lamp or cheap meter (6 bux at CT) .

Sparkle
 
M

myran

Guest
imported post

imported post

Thanks for your prompt reply. I can sure use all the help I can get. OK, so I've got a '05 DR 200 (does that make me a woman?), and I'll be a Harley rider if I can find a break in the wiring, or a fuse.The bulb has indeed been replaced, with a brand spankin' new one, if I may say so myself.The bulb housing seems to be brand new, and I have dis- and re- connected most, if not all the connectors, looking for loose, or corroded junctions. Nada. The original bulb was also pristine (I love the Internet, I never get to talk like this to folks! Pristine. Sweet.) Hmmmm. Anyways, any site-ideas for finding a model-specific wiring diagram? I think I've identified the wires coming from the front and rear brake switches, and traced them along the harness, again, no OBVIOUS trauma, I think I'm going to have to use my fault-finder. I wanted to wait till I have no other options, because once I start stabbing the wire sheathing with that knitting needle probe I'll probably have to rebuild the wiring harness. Which I will if need be, but I'm trying not to make things worse for myself. This is something new for me. I guess I'd be smart just to take it into the shop, but being smart just isn't me.:shoot:
 

Good 350R

New member
imported post

imported post

Myran,

The tail lights on most Dr's are famous for having the ground wire vibrate and break off. I have repaired my 350 twice and my wife's 200 once. If the wire still looks attached then check inside the plastic coating for a break. I am certain that you will find the problem here.

Ken
 
M

myran

Guest
imported post

imported post

Gotcha. Merci (the other official language).
 

Sparkle

New member
imported post

imported post



Good 350Ris right, and looking at my DR350 diagram there are three wires hooked to the taillight, if your bike is the same it goes like this:

Brown........runs the tailight...it's turned on by the ignition switch.

White with a Black stripe.....is the brake light, turned on by the front and back brake.

Black with a white stripe.....is the ground wire going to the ground in the harness.

The only thing that could disable both brake and tail lights is a bad connection on the Black with a white stripe wire (ground) as G350R says. Test it by holding a piece of wire against the metal of the bulb socket and touching a solid metal (unpainted) part of the bike frame with the key on, the tailight should light...

Sparkle
 
M

myran

Guest
imported post

imported post

FIXED :clap:. Many, many thanx to all. No way I would have found that break without looking specifically for it. You folks are way cool :dude:.
 
Top