450 EXC Jetting & Mileage

scottbc

Member
It would seem that quite a few of us have recently drank the orange coolade. I must admit that this new bike is like crack cocain, you just have got to have more. I had a DRZ and wanted something lighter with better handling, added power was just a bonus. Now power slides are just a twist of the throttle away. The only thing this bike has in common with the DRZ is two wheels and a seat.

I did all the usual mods, JD jetting,desmog and derestricted. I used the JD recommended jetting and the bike runs great. No bogging, great throttle response. I know that it may be a little rich as you can smell it. But all this comes at a price. Last tank of fuel I only got 14.5 KM/litre of fuel. My DRZ got 25 no matter how hard I flogged it.

All this is OK until we do our annual trip south. To get any reasonable range out of this bike it will require the giant 21L tank.

So what kind of mileage are fellow 450 riders getting? What are your jet sizes and needle clip positions.

Scott
 

SubMann

New member
imported post

imported post

My bike (2007 450 EXC) was rejetted before delivery by No Limits in Squamish. So I don't know what the jet sizes and clip positions are. I have the 13 litre aftermarket tank. I can get about 175 km from 13 litres on more open roads. Trails I can go on reserve after 130 km. I have recently bought the gigantic tank for the longer trips south. It is not a huge task to change tanks when prepping the bike for road trips.

I did the White Rim trail in Moab with just one extra litre of gas. I went on to reserve a few km before getting back to the truck. We parked close and rode the loop that way. I couldn't have made it if we rode to/from Moab.

So I'd say that your mileage is decent for that bike. Being slightly rich will keep it cooler too. What year is your bike? That may help with answers too.

Oh yeah, just to keep the flame alive, I too switched from a DRZ to the KTM and agree with your comments. :clap::hb:
 

scottbc

Member
imported post

imported post

I guess that I should have said that the bike is a 2009. I also re geared to 14/45 and will probably change to 14/48 as 6th gear is useless.

So when you went to Moab, this was using the 13L tank? That is where our trip is this year. We will be bike camping for part of the trip so 175K range won't likely cut it.

Scott
 

SubMann

New member
imported post

imported post

Yes I went with the 13 litre tank. We just tried to be aware of the mileage every day. Others in my group had less range (stock tanks) so I wasn't the limiting factor. (maybe my riding was though! Nice hospital there!)
 

blocker

New member
imported post

imported post

My Kim 400-2005 was getting 20+K per L on the sametrip. In. Baja last month it dropped to12-13K
Per L. Over oiled air filter was part of problem. However still do not know why the poor fuel economy. Not back to
The 20-24K that I usually get. Have 13L tank and was getting 250+ K per tank.
 

scottbc

Member
imported post

imported post

I would be really happy to get that range with a 13L tank. The DRZ range for me with the Clark tank, loaded up and traveling was up to 350KM. Granted the bike is jetted a little on the lean side but not having to worry about fuel is a bonus.

Based on my recent mileage with the KTM I'm looking at 300KM at best with the 21L KTM tank.

Scott
 

Fbomb

Member
imported post

imported post

My last ride out to Church, etc ws 155 kms of highway, gravel roads, single and no track on 13 liters. I have 14/48 gears and 6th is still useless. My DRZ on 14/47 got similar mileage.
 

scottbc

Member
imported post

imported post

I would be curious what your jetting is Pete? Lets assume that you had 1l litre of fuel left when you ran out. That only gets you 12KM/L, so a 21L tank will take you 250K. It's OK for day rides, not so good for desert trips.

Scott
 

Fbomb

Member
imported post

imported post

I don't remember but whatever JD recommended for sea-level is in there. I actually used 13 liters on the day and that was 100 kms of 80 kmh pavement (low speed due to unbalanced tires) and LOTS of 1st gear singletrack.
 

zokalr13

Member
imported post

imported post

i think its kinda dumb to put ona humongous gas tank on a lightweight race bike -kind of defeats its design parameter-i would only put on the next size up from stock for a little more range but to turn the KTM into a KLR gas barge and load it up like a pack mule is blasphemy IMO [just sayin] ...but to each his own i guess.. i dont find this ktmeats anymore gas than any other bike thative ownedbut i havent ridden it upthe continental divide yet....
 

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
imported post

imported post

More words of wisdom

Better to have it and not need it.

Generally most of the guys I ride with need to get 200 Kms + for a days riding. I find that most guys need at least 2 extra litres of gas to make it to the next gas stop without worrying. At .76 kg per litre your not asking to much to go the distance. Usually aftermarket tanks are no more heavier than stock tanks. I usually fill up my tank according to the riding we are doing that day. I dont have that inner urge to fill my tank when its not nessary.

The moral of this story is it is better to have the capacity, but it is up to the rider to decide how much of that capacity they are going to use.

TT
 

scottbc

Member
imported post

imported post

Zok, I agree that loading this bike up like a pack mule is a sacrilage. We like our long trips though, so I will be using a giant loop bag and backpacking gear to keep it light. The idea is a bike that maximizes the riding experience. But range is still a major issue.

My intention with this thread was not to start an argument about what size gas tank to use but rather to compare notes on jetting settings and mileage. I am also not bitching about the mileage, I would just like to jet for the best compromise between performance and economy.

It,s sunny out and time to ride so I will check in later. have a great day today everyone.

Scott
 

greenlake

New member
imported post

imported post

I just found this thread, sorry for the late response. I bought my '07 EXC525 at no limits as well. They didn't jet it, but leaned it out for better running. I was getting around 20km/l for 2 years. I have now changed to jd jet kit and dealing with about 15km/l. My off idle throttle response is shite as well. I have a little tweaking to do and will try to get it better
 

blocker

New member
My last trip to Baja in Jan on my 2011 KTM 450 EXC-R with a 13l tank and JD jet kit with the hi elevation needle set for sea level hot conditions and 14/52 gearing.
To start with the bike had 500 k when I started and got poor milage but as it finally broke in it was getting 18-21 K/L depending on riding conditions. With a loaded bike. So getting 200+ K out of a tank.
 

04klr

Well-known member
07 525 exc, just returned from Baja, JD kit 172 main, red needle 4th clip, ran brilliantly! never a cough, burble or fart.
the first tank of fuel was 15k/L, then I adapted to the bike and let the big dog lug at bit and the mileage just got bettr'n better, 18k/L was easy, and several times was over 20.
 
Top