BC TCAT

verdo26

Hey Folks,

I've been toying with the idea of doing the BC portion of the TCAT this summer, perhaps late mid July or early Aug. Was wondering if there were any people that have done it and can offer up any insightful info. How much highway riding is there? Can the highway be avoided at all? I have an older version of the map but should be good enough I would assume. If someone could direct me to a more recent version that might be helpful but for now I will plan based on this https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/v...&ll=50.56000197927415,-117.94661310967058&z=8

Or perhaps you know some good other smaller multi-day loops you might like to share, I'm just looking to get out and explore something this summer.

Cheers and thanks for sharing!

verdo26

Have you found/read www.graveltravel.ca? It should have up to date info
Yeah I've gone over quite a bit of the site there but struggling to get a look at a good map. Don't have the GPS device I want to use yet so haven't gotten the up to date coordinates from them as of yet.

Viva-cdn

Hey Folks,

I've been toying with the idea of doing the BC portion of the TCAT this summer, perhaps late mid July or early Aug. Was wondering if there were any people that have done it and can offer up any insightful info. How much highway riding is there? Can the highway be avoided at all? I have an older version of the map but should be good enough I would assume. If someone could direct me to a more recent version that might be helpful but for now I will plan based on this https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1FbIY3vxwcjWn36RWbrx6dCPMfctgZbAg&ll=50.56000197927415,-117.94661310967058&z=8

Or perhaps you know some good other smaller multi-day loops you might like to share, I'm just looking to get out and explore something this summer.

Cheers and thanks for sharing!
What part of BC are you located in?

Viva-cdn

I'm in Salmon Arm. I've been thinking about doing some of the interior sections of the tcat this summer.
Until you get a gps, you can download the tcat gpx files and load them on one of the mapping apps on a phone or tablet. I use Locus maps on a nav station I built with an old Android phone. It's a purchased app, but has better features than most of the free ones.

Attachments

• IMG_20200807_163237.jpg
    IMG_20200807_163237.jpg
    577.5 KB · Views: 7

verdo26

I'm in Salmon Arm. I've been thinking about doing some of the interior sections of the tcat this summer.
Until you get a gps, you can download the tcat gpx files and load them on one of the mapping apps on a phone or tablet. I use Locus maps on a nav station I built with an old Android phone. It's a purchased app, but has better features than most of the free ones.
That's a nice little set up. I've been trying to look at all sorts of nav apps and systems and it's doing my head in. I have an old Garmin that was given to me years ago. I'm gonna see if I can update the maps and perhaps load the backroads mapbook on it. But I'm not sure it can take it. Pretty old system. Looks like the mapbook folks made an app too.
So many choices.

majorbedhed

I'm a huge Gaia GPS fan for Android. Yeah, doesn't give you the heads up display that a real GPS device might, but I purchased the www.graveltravel.ca GPX files for the TCAT, uploaded them to Gaia, played around on my PC and it all syncs wonderfully to my phone. It does require stopping to look at your phone when you arrive at a confusing intersection out in the boonies, or pulling out the phone to reconfirm when things just don't "feel right" - yes, that will happen from time to time. But as long as you download the maps for offline use before you boogie out, and carry and extra battery for your phone - I'm sure you'll find it's an awesome way to travel the back country with peace of mind. For added support - I purchased the Backroads Mapbook Overlay for Gaia which covers the majority of the forest service roads built in BC. Now I use Gaia for dual sport, mountain biking, and hiking. There are certainly better apps that are sport specific, but this is the best all around GPS tool I've found for what I enjoy out and about. Good luck.

Viva-cdn

That's a nice little set up. I've been trying to look at all sorts of nav apps and systems and it's doing my head in. I have an old Garmin that was given to me years ago. I'm gonna see if I can update the maps and perhaps load the backroads mapbook on it. But I'm not sure it can take it. Pretty old system. Looks like the mapbook folks made an app too.
So many choices.
I have an old Garmin, but the map costs drove me to the phone and app solution. A repurposed Android phone and good apps like locus or Gaia offer way more versatility (plus a bigger screen and backup phone). My total cost in for phone, housing, Ram mounts, apps and maps (plus a little personal labor) is about $120. Power is a cable to a waterproof USB double port connected to a switched relay.
If I take the time to prepare a route before a trip, it will track along as I travel and I just need to glance done when I get to junctions to know where to go. I can also use Bluetooth headphones to get voice nav