• Welcome to new DualSportBC Forum!
    To Log in on new forum you will need to reset your password first using "Log in" --> "Forgot your password?"
    Sorry for the inconvenience caused, but we trust it's a one time deal.
    If you encounter any issues please contact us at [email protected]

Cancelled DeeZee Navigation Off Road Dual Sport Ride September 12, 13 2020

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
I am sad to report that the DeeZee ride will be cancelled for 2020

I personally am not convinced that there will be a acceptable solution to the Corona Virus issue for 2020 and as such will not put anyone at risk

Depending on the situation we may make the route available for those of you who want to ride it for fun without the risk of being in attendance of a group of people you many not know.

Tom

48338790702_2125bed702_b.jpg

GPS, Smart Phone, roll chart and map required

Last edited:
Hey Tim, could we use the Rally Blitz app for this event instead of a roll chart? You mentioned you experimented with it in previous posts.

tomcycle

Staff member
Hey Tim, could we use the Rally Blitz app for this event instead of a roll chart? You mentioned you experimented with it in previous posts.

Standby and I will check it out

its only an apple app and I am a android guy, so pretty slim chances that I will have the time to learn another app, got a pretty full plate now. It looks very similar to the rally navigator.

Still because its going to be a long day I would recommend a roll chart, does not need batteries and can be dropped many times without any harm.

Keep in touch

Tom

Rustic

DSBC President / BCORMA Treasurer
Staff member
I'm going to go old school analog and do the paper roadbook. You can pick the basic ones up from Gnarly Parts.

ahah, got it! Well, will you send it as a PDF for us to print Russ? Rally navigator and Rally can simply read the PDF instead of printing it.
To your point Tom, I believe if I fall bad enough to damaged my display device, I'll be in a rough shape as well! ;-) (plus I got a spare screen for the CAP than I can use as well for the roadbook)

tomcycle

Staff member
ahah, got it! Well, will you send it as a PDF for us to print Russ? Rally navigator and Rally can simply read the PDF instead of printing it.
To your point Tom, I believe if I fall bad enough to damaged my display device, I'll be in a rough shape as well! ;-) (plus I got a spare screen for the CAP than I can use as well for the roadbook)

Once the route is ready to go you will be able to download and print a roll chart or route book pdf of course

Rustic

DSBC President / BCORMA Treasurer
Staff member
What Tom said it's his event, I'll participate;) ( and help if requested)

Bummer about the event. Maybe an event in Spring 2021. I’ve been keeping up roadbook practice. I’ll do road books for any new trail ride I go on. I’ll have the gps as backup but focus on my “roll chart” as the primary nav.

Here’s my setup: I put rollchart in quotes because I use an old beater iPhone to run the premium version of the Rally Blitz app. (https://advrider.com/f/threads/rallyblitz-rally-iphone-app.936183/) in lieu of the traditional metal/plastic holder for the conventional paper road books.

The latter enables reading .pdf roadbooks, and in particular, be driven by the the great cottage industry developed button product by Chris Vestal (https://advrider.com/f/threads/blit...blitz-and-rally-navigator-compatible.1266762/) So you can advance/reverse the roadbook as we’ll advance/reverse/reset a separate odometer.

It truly makes a great and comparatively cost effective solution using a non-paper approach. And since the input algorithms are slaved to the IPhone music +/- volume and next/previous track functions, you choose to also have the buttons drive that or another iPhone’s music player for the boring tarmac stretches before or after the rally when you’re no longer in need of the “roadbook” / odo app.

For reference, my setup, and some shots of it in use for roadbooks I created for my ride earlier this week:
3C055236-85BD-47A1-A8D7-EB11151899B9.jpegE1999695-9B48-4D15-8C02-DA917681A25E.jpeg6D906D27-4F51-4E0A-B138-64A10DF8D343.jpeg8F438F9E-676F-4100-BB75-8CDE7FC0F74E.jpeg50423A5B-514F-4B4E-9A3D-6B8BDB815B31.jpeg

Last edited:
PS-if anyone needs an old-style 3.5” paper roadbook holder to which Rustic refers, I have one in decent shape. I may have an older one as well, but one for sure I can sell/donate. Not looking for cash as they’re under $50 new - a case or even a can of a Radler and it’s yours if you come by to pick up (near South Surrey)

Yeah, I like Radlers. And no, I don’t care if you judge me for it. LOL.

cheers.

Daniel

04klr

that's quite the swiss army multi switch on the left bar, go stop left right up down, neat. Also like the klr-esque home built rally tower, and thumbs up for the spare clutch cable (also klr-esque).

No spare clutch cable on hydraulic clutch Husabergs...:)

The last two shots should come up first, as they were taken before the bike restoration was completely finished. The unattached cable end you see is for the manual decomp lever, which I hadn’t installed yet.