Changing your tires

Jimyb

Just curious if there is anybody that has changed their highway tires to a more aggressive dirt tire on the side of the road when your doing long trips? How hard is it to do without the tire stand etc.

offworlder

I've done many tire changes in a variety of places; critical skill to have down. Practice in yer garage/with yer trail tools, and you'll be ready when (not if, when) it happens. As far as stands go, rocks, logs etc... work as well as retractable stands like this:

Jeckyll

Just curious if there is anybody that has changed their highway tires to a more aggressive dirt tire on the side of the road when your doing long trips? How hard is it to do without the tire stand etc.

How long is long? What kind of bike? What tire (i.e. tubed or tubeless)?

I can easily get 8 - 10,000 km out of a rear Tractionator GPS on the Super Ten, so I don't mess with it, just spoon fresh rubber on before leaving. That includes going to AK / YK.

Carrying tires around sucks. Big bike, sure, it's OK, smaller bike it's a royal PITA.

Jimyb

How long is long? What kind of bike? What tire (i.e. tubed or tubeless)?

I can easily get 8 - 10,000 km out of a rear Tractionator GPS on the Super Ten, so I don't mess with it, just spoon fresh rubber on before leaving. That includes going to AK / YK.

Carrying tires around sucks. Big bike, sure, it's OK, smaller bike it's a royal PITA.
I'm going to tuk next year and am thinking of using a more comfortable highway tire to get to Dawson City then changing to a more aggressive 60/40 tire. I'm on a BMW GS 650 with tubeless tires.

Jeckyll

I'm going to tuk next year and am thinking of using a more comfortable highway tire to get to Dawson City then changing to a more aggressive 60/40 tire. I'm on a BMW GS 650 with tubeless tires.

OK, I get the desire to do that, it's a _lot_ of highway especially if you go straight there
(I went up that way in 2019, for reference: https://www.yamahasupertenere.com/i...s-and-deserts-and-meeting-great-people.26881/)

As far as that road is concerned, doing it in full wet is ... well, you can read it in the report if you care :)

I know that in 2019 there were some folks on that road that were stuck long periods of time (up to 2 weeks) due to the wet conditions.

Still, I would not want to carry 2 tires up. I'd look into shipping tires to Whitehorse and then getting them put on there (or putting them on there).

Just my $0.02, but I found that I carried quite a bit of gear already for camping, different temps (The range I experienced was 30C -> 2C in my ride up there in early August).

Enjoy your trip!

04klr

For the far north trips start off with a new/near new front tire of choice for the duration of the trip. For the rear start with a 1/2 worn rear tire of choice then spoon on new meat in Dawson (either shipped to whitehorse/Dawson or carried from home) to ride out the rest of the trip.
One tire change and you're done, and hit the worst roads with a fresh rear.