• Welcome to new DualSportBC Forum!
    To Log in on new forum you will need to reset your password first using "Log in" --> "Forgot your password?"
    Sorry for the inconvenience caused, but we trust it's a one time deal.
    If you encounter any issues please contact us at [email protected]

Dirt bike hitch carrier

Summitrider

Hello

New to the dirt bike world.

I have a 2004 Yamaha WR450F dirt bike (weighs about 250 lbs).

regarding transport I was thinking a hitch carrier off the front of a 2002 Ford F-350 with family atvs on sled deck and towing family travel trailer.

I’m seeking you input as to what hitch carrier I should invest? Steel or aluminum?

I have read a number of reviews commenting on the Harbour Freight aluminum hitch carrier where knobby tires get tightly wedged in to the point of prying out the tires.

If you or any of your friends are selling a hitch carrier please let me know n I can follow up with them.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Regards

jim

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
I have the cheap Princess Auto bike rack that fits into the receiver, its poorly built and not made to last, but it works. I have had this unit for many years now and have put on 10s of thousands of Kms on the back of my car and MH. It has done the job at hand and no one has ever tried to steal it. Every time I look at it I want to buy a nice aluminum unit, but it just keeps on doing what I need. If I had to do it over again I would seriously consider a nice aluminum unit, then worry about someone stealing it.

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member

ejfranz

Also have the steel Princess Auto one and it has lasted 10 of thousands of kilometres carrying a WR250r or XT225 or TW200 or DT200.

Summitrider

Thank you for all your replies and suggestions. Well as luck would have it I was able to get a preowned aluminum unit. Works well so far...

Benj

I have the Race aluminum. It only weighs 38lb so easy to handle. I use it with a KTM500 but I would not go past a 300lb bike with the rack.

Attachments

• CF9B8729-F930-4ED1-8B02-DC2AFB1F7C74.jpeg
    CF9B8729-F930-4ED1-8B02-DC2AFB1F7C74.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5