• Welcome to new DualSportBC Forum!
    To Log in on new forum you will need to reset your password first using "Log in" --> "Forgot your password?"
    Sorry for the inconvenience caused, but we trust it's a one time deal.
    If you encounter any issues please contact us at [email protected]

Drive Mode Dashboard & Carpe Controller

Rustic

DSBC President / BCORMA Treasurer
Staff member
Ok, I have been getting me and the Beta ready for the 2021 ADV/Dualsport season, lots of time to make up for from being out most of last year with the Achilies!

The Beta is a complete game changer and I was looking for the ultimate Navigation solution and like many of the roadbook controls but they just didn't work with most Nav apps thennI found a Bluetooth controller that suggested it could do it all, that it supported 20 different Nav apps.... I tried their Drive Mode Dashboard app and liked it... a lot. So I took a huge chance and ordered the hardware. Shit it came to almost $400 cdn with purchase, extra mount (one for both single track and ADV bikes), shipping and tax/duty.

Thork Racing and the CARPE CI Controller are the total Nav game changer! It even just runs on Android native (despite a warning that an app is required) and it supports every single Nav app I have tried it with today.

Looking forward to not having to stop and frequently take my gloves off despite touch display finger tips.

Thorkracing.com

Update: Thork Racing said that Gai should be fully supported.... I Uninstaller the controller app and reconnected the controller. BAM It is working fully in Gaia and faster in native app...
Awesome device

Attachments

• 20210212_143921.jpg
    20210212_143921.jpg
    928.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210212_143929.jpg
    20210212_143929.jpg
    553.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210212_143938.jpg
    20210212_143938.jpg
    637.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20210212-154050_DMD2.jpg
    Screenshot_20210212-154050_DMD2.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20210212-155323_DMD2.jpg
    Screenshot_20210212-155323_DMD2.jpg
    649.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20210212-155300_DMD2.jpg
    Screenshot_20210212-155300_DMD2.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Rustic

Staff member
I am using an old Note 9 and it's mounted with a Ram mount and extra strong silicone retention. The Ram mount has an after market high wattage wireless charge coil to avoid the moisture in the USB port issue. (Battery pack pictured for reference not the Note)

Attachments

• 20210212_145550.jpg
    20210212_145550.jpg
    949 KB · Views: 9

bmw rocke

Thanks Russ.
This looks to be the best current setup available. Thork racing has developed Drive Mode Dash board for android and it is great.
Drive Mode 2 is available for free with in app purchases. They are currently upgrading DMD2 on a weekly basis. That means it has been a little buggy with some updates. The original seems to work fine for now.

It is funny that we were both working on the same issue (nav) at the same time and came to almost exactly the same conclusion. I just didn't want to pour more money into Garmin. With an android phone you have so much more flexibility and upgradeability.

I went out and bought an Android phone specifically to run as Nav on my bikes. I purchased a Chinese brand phone with a 10,000 mha battery. I can run it for over 12 hours with the screen on full brightness and tracking on a Navigation app. This makes it fully waterproof and no wires hanging around. Just a thought if anyone is going down this route. For a phone mount I have just set up the Ram Quick Grip XL. Quick easy and really secure on the bike. I have tested for a day at McNutt on my 300xc and the phone isn't going anywhere. So far this is the best holder for a large heavy phone I have found. And at less that $40 shipped CDN by far the best priced of the quality units I have come across.

Here are some pics of the phone and holder on my T7.

Rocke

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_2366.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2366.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 12
  • thumbnail_IMG_2368.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2368.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 11

Rustic

Staff member
Great Summary Rocke. I had the same mount for a few years on my 650 and it worked well until I started pending harder especially onnthe wr250r and I went back to the x mount with silicone corner straps that I had before but didn't like because it was a hassle taking off and on. However now that I run a dedicated Note 9 for nav and my phone is in my chest pocket it seems to be working best. (I also have a heavier duty silicone secure band now instead of the Ram supplied one)
Either moubt is probably a good choice for folks.

I have an aftermarket high output wireless charge coil that is glued onto my xmount now as well.

I have found playing with the Carpe controller now for a full day that it is still not fully Gaia Compatible but Thork (who now mange the DMDB app) tell me they are continuing to refine it. Basic pan and zoom are working and that's what I need for now)

bmw rocke

I found my RAM X grip with the elastics always held the phone well. The issue I have with both my iPhone and Android is they slide down and the arm on the holder hits the power button and turns the phone off.
I know the quad lock stuff works well but not available for my off brand phone.
Wireless charging on the ADV bike would be nice but this phone does not support it.
Interested to see what others are running.
Rocke

Rustic

Staff member
I found my RAM X grip with the elastics always held the phone well. The issue I have with both my iPhone and Android is they slide down and the arm on the holder hits the power button and turns the phone off.
I know the quad lock stuff works well but not available for my off brand phone.
Wireless charging on the ADV bike would be nice but this phone does not support it.
Interested to see what others are running.
Rocke
I running my phone in landscape orientation so the x is at the bottom and no sliding, I do also have a rubber texture side case and I pulled one of the ram rubber feet of sonthe metal sits between buttons.
Not a fan of quadlock because it's a hassle to take out of case and I frequently need to.

As Rocke said what are others using.

Harley Sadlo

Russ, thanks for the neat Nav updates. I too am doing some prep on the Beta. Mine is luggage related. I am working on a rear carrier with bracket for chainsaw. Hoping to incorporate a small flat platform and loops right and left side to support a Mosko luggage system down the road. I will let you know how it turns out. Going into the fab shop next week.

Rustic

Staff member
The single track guys give me a hard time because I always have had some type of hard rack. I learnt to appreciate this mentality on the WR250R but still wanted a solution to carry my Rotopax as I didn't want to do the tank upgrade. I found a really awesome DirtRacks that was made in limited numbers and it was sort of a half rack if you will, but stronger than just a plate on the fender.
So the hunt was one and the only thing I could find (beyond a bolt on plate) was this Nomadic Rack BUT not compatible with the 20/21 year models due to I think the subframe update.

Anyways I ordered it and will see if easily modified for the current year. Other than fitting I will add a plate for my Rotopax because the only real upgrade needed on this 390rrs is fuel capacity.

I like that it is a support to the subframe for when I have my kriega rackless on and serves for multiple hand holds to recover from dirt naps

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210216-081414_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210216-081414_Chrome.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 5

Harley Sadlo

That track is all I got really needs. A small tool pouch or Roto pack fuel container could easily be mounted. Better than carrying on your back.

Rustic

Staff member
That track is all I got really needs. A small tool pouch or Roto pack fuel container could easily be mounted. Better than carrying on your back.
That Rack, Meaning the onenI pictured or do you have different? Trying to recall what was on your bike. Lol

Rustic

Staff member
Never seen a Perfect Squeeze before, its tabs are close together and doesnt look as robust. let us know how it works.

leebob

Funny enough, robustness is one of the reasons I’m leaning in that direction.

I will let you know, if I end up with one. I’d better get off my ass and make a decision here soon.

leebob

Well, with many thanks to Russ for the heads up and Dave for sending it on, I now have a Perfect Squeeze phone mount. It hasn't had a trial by fire yet, but so far I'm really impressed. The mount is entirely machined aluminium and steel. The only non-metal parts are the silicone sleeves over the legs that do the squeezing. Once the phone is mounted there is no way I can see it coming loose. Yes Russ the legs aren't all that far apart, but far enough that the phone does not move in any axis. There is absolutely nothing that bends or flexes. The squeezing legs are a larger diameter at the top than the bottom plus they have metal rings beneath the rubber at the top so when the phone is squeezed between them it is impossible for it to be spit out the top. My phone has a silicone case on it so it doesn't budge up against the rubber legs. I didn't try it without the case but my intuition is that it won't move in that configuration either. They definitely aren't cheap, only time will tell if it is worth the extra money. Now that I have the mount I have to find a larger format phone for my not so young eyes, maybe something along the line of Rocke's dedicated nav phone.

The only glitch I see is the quick release tab. You are supposed to be able to fit the phone once and then just remove and replace using the quick release tab. I find that when the mount is tightened down I have to loosen the mechanism a couple of turns to take some pressure off the tab before it will push in and release the carriage.

IMG_0085.jpgIMG_0087.jpg

Rustic

Staff member
Great little review thanks, are the arms adjustable at all in distance if say you haf a button in the way?

leebob

No, the arms are fixed. You would‘t want Them any closer. You would have to slide the phone one way or the other To avoid any buttons.

A phone only fits in the mount lengthwise . If you want a portrait orientation you have to rotate the whole mount 90 degrees.