DRZ dual sport or supermoto

r_jackson

Member
I am looking for a DRZ 400 and see a lot of the motard versions out there. What's the difference besides the tires? The forks look different, will the SM forks work off road? If I bought the SM version and put knobbies on will it be a decent bike or is there more to it?
Thanks!!
 

cactusreid

Active member
i'm no pro on these bikes,but there's a lot of these bikes around. if you had to,you could buy a sm model, go to flea bay and buy up enough parts ie: forks,dirt wheels and discs,and maybe a rear shock and viola- you would have a motard and a plated dirtbike for probably not a huge investment? nah-that sounds to easy,it probably won't work!
 
F

franhoser

Guest
the drz sm has the inverted OC showa forks and I belive the swingarm is different. You cannot take the S dirt wheels and put the on the sm.

If you want the true dirt setup with 21/18" you can take a RMZ 250 or 450 wheels and use them but you still have to use the oversize front and rear rotors from the sm. There is a guy on ebay that sells the setup (warp 9) for about 700-800 US. No spedo.

Don't do the SM 17" rims with dirt tire, that's getho and your asking for death.
 
W

Wiser25

Guest
i have the 2009 drz 400 sm. bought it this summer and love it and actually i was on the noobie ride yesterday in chillwack. my bike is still stock and i went on the ride with my street tires and ripped it up. i did very well and didnt have any serious traction problems i wasnt in much mud but went through a bunch of puddles and the forks dominated! i def recommend the drz 400 sm because it did great with street tires and next year when i get dirt tires im sure will do even better. plus they look way sicker than the regular version!
 

Bill_P

New member
I got an E model, it has more power and is about 40 pounds lighter. I was able to get a registation for it also.
 

Dr. Love

New member
the drz sm has the inverted OC showa forks and I belive the swingarm is different. You cannot take the S dirt wheels and put the on the sm.

If you want the true dirt setup with 21/18" you can take a RMZ 250 or 450 wheels and use them but you still have to use the oversize front and rear rotors from the sm. There is a guy on ebay that sells the setup (warp 9) for about 700-800 US. No spedo.

Don't do the SM 17" rims with dirt tire, that's getho and your asking for death.

I believe you are mistaken. The 21/18 from a S will fit! The only thing to worry about is the disc brake. You would have to run SM size rotor f/r.

You can get stock S wheels, or, Warp 9 (not compatible with stock speedo drive, and has different bolt pattern for brake and sprocket)... or SM Pro! Both SM Pro and S wheel (obviously) can use the stock speedo drive, sprocket and disc...

$840 here - http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop/3/12/index.shtml
 

r_jackson

Member
I found a 2007 DRZ 400 and bought it. It came with extra tires, bigger tank, heavier suspension and soft saddlebags, but I really like the heated grips on these cold days!
 

Shuswap

Member
Hah! Another Deezer-Dumper!
I found mine to be a better off-road bike than I thought it would be. It's a bit heavy, but it continues to surprise me, pleasantly, with each trip to the trails.

Thumpertalk has great info on servicing, maintenance, upgrades, etc: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25

In fact....mind-numbing quantities....
 
Last edited:

bcwraps

New member
hey guys, I am new to the forum and to BC also.
I just got an DRZ400SM and I am wondering if I did a mistake by getting that bike. (previously I had a YZ250F).
I was looking to see what options I have ti make the SM into a 50/50 off road on road. I am not planning to go too crazy with the off road but still be able to drive it on street because I don't own to many vehicles to carry the bike.

So, please give me some suggestions on what tires I should get from your experience or if I need to get a new set of rims 21/18 ( will this work on the SM set up? fork, break, etc.)
Or I should try to go back to the dealer and try to change it for the S while the deal is still fresh?

I can hardly wait also to get out there and explore. I am open to some suggestions of trails since I am new to BC and don't know not even one.
Thank you in advance and hope to see you out there.
 

MtB

New member
I've had both, the S and SM and it really depends on where you are going to ride. Trying to make an SM into an S is like trying to force a square peg in a round hole! It can be done, but if you plan on riding more than 30off 70on road you are better off with the S, which is a pretty good street bike apart from the stock Deathwings. The SM has a beter fork, bigger brake, and a slightly different carb (Dynojet for the S will not go easily on the SM). So unless you have an SM already I'd start with the S. There are enough farkles to pay for without having to worry about a new set of wheels, brakes & spacers.
 
F

franhoser

Guest
im under the assumption that they are both the exact same bike. The only difference is the fork and swingarm for the different set of wheels.

Same carb and jetting in fact.

The E model is where things really become different. In terms of the carb and engine.
 
Top