• Welcome to new DualSportBC Forum!
    To Log in on new forum you will need to reset your password first using "Log in" --> "Forgot your password?"
    Sorry for the inconvenience caused, but we trust it's a one time deal.
    If you encounter any issues please contact us at [email protected]

DSBC and Tailforks GPX Ride database system

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
Over the past several months we have been playing around with the Trailforks trail database, map & management system if you are not familiar with it I suggest you click on the link and check it out.

For many year now DSBC members and users have continually been asking for what the best way to post and share .gpx or GPS tracks. We have tried a few but they seem to disappear after a few years. DSBC allows upload of GPS files but that is not very intuitive for most.

How would you guys like to have a central place to post your rides (dirt or adventure) tell your story with pictures, and insert your gps tracks that can all be viewed on line. A place where it will be easy to find and not get lost or absorbed (like Faceboook)?

This is a work in process and we have to gauge interest, but if you want to do a post like the example below it can be done today with a little bit of learning on your part

Just like a regular post you can write a story on your ride,

While in your post you can easily insert your pictures in Hi Resolution

But now the cool part, if you use TrailForks by having your Trailforks app in your phone record your ride or use your GPS to record your ride then upload it to your Trailforks account. You can then embed a interactive map of your ride into your post here on the DSBC forum.

Below is an example of my last ride that I used my Trailforks app on my phone to record and save to my TrailForks account

• you can do most of your looking without having to leave the DSBC post
  • you can zoom in and out
  • change basemap for you google earth people
  • if you double click on the map title (Tuesday May 19, 2020) and you will go directly to the Trailforks site where you can lots more stuff including downloading the gpx file or add the ride to your own Trailforks account for future reference
If something like this interests you please let us know by posting below and we will work on giving you simple instructions on how to insert your Trailforks ride into your DSBC forum post. Its as easy as inserting a youtube video

Special thanks to lagbc for taking the time to figure this out for us.

Of course you can insert your pictures along the way
1590426667159.png

tomcycle

Staff member
Here is an example of posting another persons route from Trailforks,
great for an online discussion on difficulty and future ride

filterx

I don't use Trail Forks nor do I really want to but I'd like a central place to share GPX routes if any one wants the ones I've recorded or DL'd for places in BC.

tomcycle

Staff member
I don't use Trail Forks nor do I really want to but I'd like a central place to share GPX routes if any one wants the ones I've recorded or DL'd for places in BC.
Its probably better you upload your gpx tracks yourself as you know the details about the route and you can add them to the track, from there it is ez to share.

02drz400

Will try this out soon.
I’m surprised so many guys start their ride right from their house. I think there are to many degenerates out there that can find out where you live and target your bikes! I’ve had too many stolen already.

tomcycle

Staff member
Will try this out soon.
I’m surprised so many guys start their ride right from their house. I think there are to many degenerates out there that can find out where you live and target your bikes! I’ve had too many stolen already.

I have to admit I am at fault sometimes as well. but I have a good security program.

I would recomend that riders edit there track to exclude there home, maybe connect to that crazy neighbours house

lagbc

Will try this out soon.
This is a good point. Tom you have contacts at Trailforks, maybe you can recommend that they implement "Privacy Zones".

Strava (very popular activity tracker) has similar feature where you can input your home address and put privacy zone around it, more inf o on that: https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000173384

Stumbled across trailforks the other day, great app. Great way to download the trails offline and not have to haul your garmin out every time too. I was shocked how much tamihi has changed in the last few years.

tomcycle

Staff member
Yes you can download the gpx file from TF then upload to RN. From there you will have to put in all the turns. Its pretty ez just need a little time and google earth