• Welcome to new DualSportBC Forum!
    To Log in on new forum you will need to reset your password first using "Log in" --> "Forgot your password?"
    Sorry for the inconvenience caused, but we trust it's a one time deal.
    If you encounter any issues please contact us at [email protected]

Dualsport Moussee

Rustic

DSBC President / BCORMA Treasurer
Staff member
Dualsport Moussee

Reece convinced me to try running a mousse in the DR650 as I can not get a 17" Tubeliss. Some people say you can others say you can not run the mousse at highway speeds and/or it will run out to fast and just disintegrate. Well let see... 18" Mousse fitted at Flatire Social into my Mitas E09 Dakar (Mitas Dakar have an extra ply on the tire so a bit stiffer sidewall already.

Ride #1 Abbotsford to Tamahi and return

Held up for the whole trip!
I know that tippy toe feeling Reece was talking about, when you get the tire rolling the mass is being forced out so hard that the contact patch gets narrower (or that's how it feela) I didnt have any issue with handling on straight or turns but did seem a little more.... squishy in the prairie cross wind.
The 130kmh highway run and then the little blast up the Chilliwack Valley heated the tire up well.
it seemed to get good grip on the FSR bare sections and I feel like it was much better in the snow but who knows.

So far.... liking it.

Rustic

Staff member
Entry #2

Did another blast out to Gnarly parts at freeway speeds to grab the tubeliss for the DR front wheel. Mousse is still running well, that tip toe feeling really only happens at 40 to 60k, when the tire rpm gets up there enough to change the shape but not form right up. Feels safe still just a little.... tip toy is the best description. At 100kmh + you dont even recognize the difference.

Note: It was easy getting the tubliss installed but a real bitch getting it to seal up on the Mitas C17 Dakar. Tire had previously been mounted so I poured the soapy water to the install and it sealed up.

Rustic

Staff member
Entry #3

Rode out to Tamahi on Saturday, high 130kmh + highway speeds and lots of mud with a little snow in Tamahi. The mousse feels good offroad but maybe a little stiffer than Inlike it offroad. Perhoas it's the 18" that Reece stuffed into my 17" Rim.

will keep rising it and see how it wears and perhaps softens over time.

Pretty Happy with it overall.

Too bad you can not get TubLiss for your rear. I just got to try it out at McNut and at 6 psi the traction is unreal its makes a huge difference. When you go to put TubLiss in your front use a Baha no pinch tool to eliminate the possibility of ruining the inner liner. Some tires are more tricky than others to install and if you use too much force with the spoons you can deform the tire and it will not seal proper. I have the tool you can use it if you want.

Rustic

Staff member
Entry #4

Installed the Tubliss and rode Tamahi area with Trevor, it performed well and the Moussee is softening up in the rear a bit too. Very Happy with both.
Did have to pour the soapy water to it to get it to hold pressure in the main low pressure area but it worked.
Hit something fairly hard charging up Thurst and by the time we were down and at Old Yale for an Apres Ride it had lost pressure (Front tubliss) but pumped it up to 18 for the road and it held since without airing up.

Rustic

Staff member
Thanks for the offer but I had already mounted just had not posted.... thanks!

Rustic

Staff member
Entry #5

Just did the loop down to Seattle to get some work samples and took the beast, knobbies, mousse and tubliss..... normally I would throw on my street wheels but dont have set up for the new bike yet. South down the #9 average speed of 100km and ten back up Coastal secondary roads and the Chukanut. Tubliss stayed aired up but a small flat spot can be felt at around 45 to 60km, I think that is from the hit up Thurst on Saturday though... will have to have a closer look and see about truing it up. Te rea felt fine, I am used to the tiptoes and all is good. Dont go to the Oyster bar on the road side, ride down to the Farm and get them fresh on the beach, cheaper and better.