help throttle sticking

J

jburnin

Guest
throttle is sticking when I turn. If i loosen the nuts on the throttle linkage it doesn't stick. Just wondering what the adjustment of the cables should be. Should it have lots of flex in the cable or should it be taught. Any ideas?????
any help would be appreciated Thanx:clap:
 

joker650

Active member
imported post

imported post

Sounds like the cable is routed wrong or has snagged over something on the triple clamp.

U didn't hook ur tie-downs to the cable ..........did ya?:D
 
J

jburnin

Guest
imported post

imported post

no it was fine yesterday before I took it apart. DOH!!. I thought maybe it was snagged too but why woulld it be fine with the nuts on the linkage loose, but as soon as i tighten them the throttle return slows way down
 

joker650

Active member
imported post

imported post

jburnin wrote:
no it was fine yesterday before I took it apart. DOH!!. I thought maybe it was snagged too but why woulld it be fine with the nuts on the linkage loose, but as soon as i tighten them the throttle return slows way down


There is ur problem...........it is not back together the way was before. Re check your assembly bro, something is different.:ted:



What bike do you have?
 
J

jburnin

Guest
imported post

imported post

I have a drz400, the only thing that could be different is the tension adjust. on the throttle body. Are the cables supposed to be taught. I guess i'll just have to look everything over again. Thanx for everything, hopefully I can fix it before Mcnutt tomorrow DANGER DANGER!!!
 
imported post

imported post

Try loosening the throttle housing and sliding the throttle a small amount towards the edge of the handlebar. Chances are that you moved the throttle grip/housing too far inwards and now the rubber of the grip is binding on the outer edge of the handlebar.

The same sort of thing happens if you tip over and bash the right handelbar into the ground. Often the impact will slid the grip further up onto the handlebar and end up with the rubber grip pushed up into the metal handlelbar, stiffeningor lockingup the twistgrip.

Hope this helps
 
P

Pirate

Guest
imported post

imported post

Good tip Backcountry boy, I'lltell Kuzzy about that one, however the throttle does work when the linkages are loosened so that can't be it. Remove the tank and saddle and go over every inch of the cable, you must have it snagged. Check the seating position at both ends too. Also,make sure that the cable is secured to the framein the correct manner. Don't use tape, zip ties are better......Good luck.

PIRATE...........
 
J

jburnin

Guest
imported post

imported post

thanx everybody I think I got it figured. Today I rode Mcnutt and the problem seemed to fix itself> I think you were right pirate. The cable was just twisted
Thanx again everybody:clap:
 
S

Starbucks

Guest
imported post

imported post

It shouldn't be a problem if the throttle is stuck wide open...!
 
J

jburnin

Guest
imported post

imported post

Ya yer right maybe It would have helped me out on the real steep and rooty sections. I think I've fallen in love with Mcnutt, but I have to admit that it was a wke up call to how out of shape I am. That place is great though for a severe a@# kicking!!!:shock:
 
Top