Just got my KTM 640 Adventure - Now for the upgrades

fastlane

Member
Planning on some good riding this season so just got a well maintained but used (46000km, 2 owners) 2005 KTM 640 to alternate with my 2008 KLR.

This KTM came with a centre stand + seperate side stand, very full tool box, 2 sets of tires, KTM manuals, Carrier racks (no side boxes), rear carrier box, huge 28 litre after market tank and Hindle exhaust. Runs great and starts instantly on a full charge but after 3-4 starts the battery loses power. Has the original YTZ10S battery. On a 2 Amp charge it reads full after only 20 minutes. Could that mean some cells are dead:confused: What battery should I get and where?

I also plan on getting a high front mud guard after reading the bad stories on mud jammed front wheels with the low mud guard that is on this bike.

Is 95 Octane fuel needed at all times?

So many questions, so little time. :D I'm an experienced rider but a KTM virgin so I'd appreciate any advice and am looking forward to some great rides with a bunch of you very soon. :eek:

Lane
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2199.jpg
    IMG_2199.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2226.jpg
    IMG_2226.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2233.jpg
    IMG_2233.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2219.jpg
    IMG_2219.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2215.jpg
    IMG_2215.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Big Booger

New member
Congrats on the new bike Lane. If the bike doesn't knock and ping with regular gas no need for the expensive stuff.
 

Island Hopper

New member
Right after you charge the battery check the voltage with a meter, then install the battery and check the voltage again... It should read the same, if it reads lower you may have a small short... Start the bike and check the voltage while running and then stop the bike and check the voltage, while running it should read much higher if the bikes charging system is working...

If the battery is the original it is very likely that it needs replacement... I picked up a YTZ 10 s through Battery World which worked out to be about 40% cheaper than the OEM price...
 

fastlane

Member
Thanks for the info guys. I see there is also an Odyssey battery which is slightly smaller and lighter. Any ideas on how good that is in comparison to the YTZ? I see that the KTM 640 cannot be started at all with a dead battery (not even by kicking) so to me the battery is a vital piece of equipment as some of our rides are to remote places!

I'm also planning on rigging up a basic jumper lead set so I can plug it right into the 12V outlet on my KLR in an emergency when I'm out with both bikes. (The only problem is gettiing the KLR everywhere the KTM goes:p)
 

250ccforme

Member
Whichever new battery you get, check to be sure about the kind of charger to use with it. The AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries are 0.9 A max, even your 2 A charger is too high, will cook the battery.
Congrats on the "new" bike!
 

broxy

Member
If you are interested, I did the high fender conversion recently, and have listed everything that is required to do it. I never really had any problems with the low fender, but 3 seconds in mud will have you convinced you need it. Wish I did it sooner. There were a handful of times where it packed up, but much more riding was passed up because of the likelyhood of mud. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14447030&postcount=5897

I also used a few tidbits from this thread, mostly regarding the wire brake hose guide on the right side, and the the hose guide mods for the upper and lower triples.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565796
 

broxy

Member
That's because it's mine. I had it for sale on this site last winter, and was hoping to pick up a 950, but now, even more than last winter, I'm less eager to see it go. It's a mental disorder, I cannot own more than two operation bikes at a time, and I picked up a 525 EXC. I hope it doesn't sell, but the wife and I would like to move sometime in the next year, and that would make it easier. She's wondering why I have it listed as well.

I hope you love your 640 as I do mine. They are brilliant!

Every mud packed fender is near fatal IMO. Here's my V Strom and my friend's SV650. His front tire melted from the friction after less than 1 km back on dry ground.

1196689203_spNuc-L.jpg


1196689374_3GL3T-L.jpg


1196689262_MHGD7-L.jpg
 
Last edited:

fastlane

Member
Nice bike Broxy, I'm itching to get going with mine. (I enjoyed your video from the left seat into Calgary:))

Today I bought a new battery (YTZ10s) through Battery World in Burnaby for $100 which was $50 less than from a bike shop. (Thanks for the tip Island Hopper). I also got a 0.75 Amp Battery Tender from them for $44 and returned the Canadian Tire 2Amp charger (thanks 250ccforme). This bike has high miles but has been cared for. What should I focus my maintenance attention on?

I'll be doing some long distance road/off road trips in June with my brother who is visiting me from S.Africa. We'll be on my KLR and KTM. He currently rides a BMW GS1150 and a KTM 250 trails bike. Planning on doing the Rutledge ride together in July and maybe head up to Lillooet and beyond to show him some great trails. Any good trails route advice is welcome.
 
Last edited:

Droptarotter

New member
Fastlane;
How do you know the bike will not kick start with a dead battery?
I am asking this because I just bought a 640 Adventure and am having starting issues.
Also.......If you are interested in luggage........mine came with soft bags and hard bags........I do not think I will need either one.
Cheers
 

fastlane

Member
Fastlane;
How do you know the bike will not kick start with a dead battery?
I am asking this because I just bought a 640 Adventure and am having starting issues.
Also.......If you are interested in luggage........mine came with soft bags and hard bags........I do not think I will need either one.
Cheers

It's well documented at http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216376
and http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86958

The lights are wired to be on all the time so you need to install a switch to kill the lights if the battery is dead. That way you can possibly kick start or roll start the bike as there may be just enough power to fire up a spark. In Europe they have a built in off switch for the lights, but not in N.America.

PM me more info on the bags, I'm interested.

I'm in N.Van if you need any help.

Lane
 
Last edited:
Top