klr stumbling

B

brolo

Guest
After about an hour of ridingmy klr starts backfiring and stumbling (missing) any ideas? runs strong for the first hour.
 

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
imported post

imported post

We will need to here more symptoms,

Does it happen in the rain or after you wash the bike?

Is the bike new to you? or have you owned it for some time?

Have you made any changes? New exhaust? Dohicky changed? Tune Up? New filter?

Check for water in fuel, KLRs have been know to store water in the lower reaches of the tank.

Spark plug lead, grab it, if it shocks :shock:you the lead id not good

List anything else that has happend to the bike since the problem.

Tom
 
B

brolo

Guest
imported post

imported post

hhhm..well I've had the bike a year now, it has done this 3 times first time was in the rain so I did the t-mod and it hadn't done it again until recently, but maybe there is water in the tank because I've been down to less then a quater tank the last 2 times it has happend.
 
Z

ZED

Guest
imported post

imported post

I would recommend running the tank really really low, then pulling it off and emptying it out. You likely have a bit of water in it. We just did that with my wife's bike as it was exhibiting similar hesitation. All is fine now.
 
B

brolo

Guest
imported post

imported post

I will give that a try thanx! If that doesn't work I'll pull the carb and give a shot at cleaning it (never taken a carb apart before so should be interesting)
 

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
imported post

imported post

Let us know how you make out:hb:

Tom
 

volcon

New member
imported post

imported post

Does the problem occur at all/any speed? or after running at highway speedfor while?
 
B

brolo

Guest
imported post

imported post

well the last time it happend I was riding around backroads doing about 60 but once it started it continued doing it every30 seconds to couple of minutes at all speeds the rest of the way home..it sucked. I rode it around for a while today and it seems fine but I just filled the tank yesterday so we will see what happens when the tank get low.
 

Swinada

Member
imported post

imported post

Check your fuel and vacum lines, maybe one is brittle or has a cut not properly seated and will suck air.
happend to me on a quad, put new lines in and everything is good again.
 

volcon

New member
imported post

imported post

I agree with Swinada and add to check for a leak/crack/tear on the carb boots, air box, air box drain. BTW your air filter isn't plugged/wet/dirty/damaged?
 

The Pope

New member
imported post

imported post

sometimes my klr would seem like it's out of fuel and stumble. improperly vented tank was the problem.
 

ToadRide

New member
imported post

imported post

My KLR had a miss and stumble problem very early in its life. 00Buck and I were lucky to trace it down to the main power wire connector just back of the fuse box. The round male/female one. It was just loose enough to cause the short. Squeezing it with pliers still left it slightly loose so we put some dielectric grease in there and, voila, problem solved. Also, did the doo about a week ago and the instructions pointed out to do the same for the push on connector for the kick stand kill switch. Dielectric grease there too. Either of these two spots will cause stumble or a complete no start.
 
Top