KLR valve adjustment - looking for some help

C

Crash Davis

Guest
I want to learn how to domy KLR valve adjustment, so I'm hoping someone that may be doing their own in the next couple months would mind doing them together, so I can learn how (first time's the toughest...eh?).

I'll provide beer and shims!

BTW, for anyone interested, you can get a 16-shim set on Arrowhead Motorsports website (http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/) for $72 USD.

Crash Davis, North Van
 
2

2wheelsgood

Guest
imported post

imported post

Check out Mark's excellent klr valve adjustment procedure at http://www.klr650.marknet.us/valves.html,
Print out a copy, read it twice and have it near your bike -- should be straightforward for you :ted:.
Also, your local bike shop may swap out your shims for you, at least they do here at valleymotosport, that'll save you a few more $$.

los dos tornos
 

russelldyck

New member
imported post

imported post

Don't worry, the KLr valve adjustment is a snap to do, just gotta remember to be paitent and take yer time. I did the KLR vales for the first time a bout a week and a half a go now with the help of http://www.klr650.marknet.us/valves.htmland the 16 peice valve shim kit from Arrow Head Moto sports, came to just about $100 with shipping and exchange, not a bad price concedering that a few years ago I had'im priced @ $8-$10 a shim at Blackfoot Moto Sportsin Calgary:shock:eek:ops smells like supper's ready so gotta go, if I can help with anything I can help with from up here in Quesnel gimmy a shout.



Chow
 
S

spam and eggs

Guest
imported post

imported post

This was pretty funny..... I replied to Crash Davis a couple of weeks ago indicating that I would be willing to try doing the valves with him and that I would provide the garage and it turns out that we know each other from outside of this site- he and his fiancee are heading to South America in a couple of months and the guys at Burnaby Kawi gave them Sagot and my # months ago and we had beers with themand talked about our South America trip. It was pretty funny when we realised that we actually knew each other by our real names before we knew each other by our DSBC names....

Anyways, we did the valves on both of our KLRs this past Wednesday. Pretty proud of ourselves, neither of us ever having done it before. We figured we'd take one apart and do it and if we had problems, at least we had the other one on hand to refer back to. I asked Sagot to come by the garage after work in case we ran into problems but aside some a few minor questions, but we did it all on our own (I think he was actually a little put out that we didn't need his expertise after all).

The "how-to" guide at http://www.klr650.marknet.us/valves.html was AWESOME. Very easy to follow- I don't think I could've figured it out from the Clymer manual alone. The first one took a long time (4.5 hrs) because we were taking everything apart really slowly and reading carefully, doublechecking the shim calcs, etc, but the second one probably took only 2.5 hrs start to finish.

We are so smart, SMRT.....:clap:
 
Top