Left sidw, engine case oil leak from plastic plug

G

Guest

Guest
Has anyone else had theirs leak, and if so how did you fix it.
Mine was seeping, so I tightened it a bit, and now it leaks more than before.
confused.gif
 
G

Guest

Guest
imported post

imported post

Sorry about the spelling mistake in the title.

I tried to edit the title, but could not figure out how to.
 
G

Guest

Guest
imported post

imported post

Can I use a thread sealant?

If so what brand would you all recomend?
 

joker650

Active member
imported post

imported post

What does this plug do, why is it there? IS it a side case assembly bolt?

Loktite makes a pipe thread paste sealant. I think it would work prety good. I have some here at home. Call me....pm sent
 

zokalr13

Member
imported post

imported post

mcfly wrote:
Has anyone else had theirs leak, and if so how did you fix it.
Mine was seeping, so I tightened it a bit, and now it leaks more than before.
confused.gif
If its a 2008 KLR then its under warranty-so get the place you bought it to fix it -these problems can be tracked and then the manifacturer can address the ''defective''problem ....
 
D

dooveman

Guest
imported post

imported post

Check that you have an O ring rubber washer there. If it fell off then you have a plastic on aluminum seal, which isn't a seal and will leak.
Brian
 
G

Guest

Guest
imported post

imported post

I just checked it.

The oring is there, and it looks good.

I wiped it and the mating surface in the case, just on the chance a small particle of dirt was there and causing the leak.

I am having a hard time getting faith in the dealer, so unsure if they will correctly fix it.

The bike has 2 oil leaks and many very loose items, actually bolts have even fallen out, so were not checked for tightness during the PDI service.

But I will ask them and see what they say.

Otherwise I may be by to take you up on the offer of the sealant Joker, thanks for the kind offer to help.
 
D

dooveman

Guest
imported post

imported post

It may have been threaded poorly as well. But if it has the rubber O-ring then I can't see how it could leak. The threads are not the barrier, the rubber washer is. You also need to open that to do maintenance so don't seal anything perminantly.
Brian

oh, and I also had a problem with, in my case, a loose signal light. I think they get the noob's to assemble the bike. You need to go around and 'BLUE' loctite the bolts everywhere. Look for any bolts that screw into the frame or welded on nuts that can't be replaced by lock nuts. Other bolts like the one for the seat and side covers are removed all the time so loctite is unpractical so keep an eye on them. These bikes vibrate and bolts and nuts fall off.
Brian.
 
Top