Lowering links DRZ400s.

Donger

Member
OK, sorted out the fuel issue, now I need to lower my new steed. Any advice? Main questions below....
- Can I install myself?
- How much adjustment is needed after installation?
- Is there anybody out there that could give me hand? I'll have a nice warm shop in May to do the work...

DP
 

MtB

New member
Links are a piece of cake to install (30 min max, including raising the forks in the 3x clamps), but I would advise against them. They are not the simple and cheap solution they seem. Changing the links (for longer ones) will alter the effectiveness of the rear suspension by increasing the force transfered to the rear shock. Without installing a stiffer spring (not ideal either), you will really have to crank up the preload, which reduces travel. Either way you will end up bottoming out or with a mega harsh ride, its a vicious cycle. Consider reshaping the seat instead, or if you have about $400 to spend take your bike to RMR to have both the front and rear lowered internally.
I know 100s of people have lowering links etc. etc., this is just my $0.02 worth.
 
Last edited:

Shuswap

Member
If you ride fairly aggressively, using the full stroke of the shock, then this probably isn't the way to go. If you are an easy/leisurely rider, then it might be all you need.

Have you figured out how much you would like to lower the seat?
 

Donger

Member
The bike came with a custom seat, that certainly helps. I'd take whatever I could get, without too much hassle. I'd love to say I was a leisurely rider, but I'd be lying. Already jumped it, dropped it and had it up a couple hills. My feet are hanging in the air more than I would like when doing ditch crossings etc. No problems on the "c" stuff or street.
 

Summitx

New member
Along with the suspension drawbacks it also lowers your foot pegs which makes your feet and ankles more exposed to hits. I picked up a corbin seat at the end of last year. It is a bit hard to get used to the different shape and the slope to the front. It is much lower than the stock seat at the tank. I've only had a couple of rides and I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it. Need to spend some more time on it and there is plenty of snow to melt around here before I can get out. I would suggest trying a lower seat first especially if you ride hard enough to work the already marginal drz suspension. Perhaps you could borrow one for a ride to see how different it is.
 

Summitx

New member
Was going to ride today but it's snowing hard so here you go. Measured the distance from the plastic side plate to top of the seat at the frame / sub frame point. Stock seat 6" ... Corbin 3". The foam on the stock seat will compress more than the hard foam on the Corbin so stand over estimate at least 2" less with the Corbin. I'm having a hard time getting used to be slid forward on the seat but consider this....I'm 6'2".....if your ass is anywhere but at the frame / sub frame pivot when the rear wheel takes a hit your not where you should be on the bike. Not a big deal in gentle terrain but you really notice it technical rough stuff. I doubt you will get anymore than 2" from links without really messing up the geo on the suspension. Next Time I may go for a 'Seat Concepts' low.
 
Top