MOD F8 GS skid plate

toowheels

New member
Hello F650 GS & F800 GS riders,

I have a revised version of the MOD F8 plate that I need to try with any engine bars except; Touratech, BMW & Givi.

Anyone out there willing to offer up their bike for me to try fitting the plate?
I will ride out to just about anywhere in the Lower Mainland, meet you at pretty much any time, do all the work, not leave a mark on anything, and bring you your beer (or other) of choice. :hb:

I'm under the gun for time as well of course.

Can anyone out there :help?

Post or PM me, or email me at: [email protected]

After all this is done I will have a skid plate to fit all the engine bars...hopefully.

In other news I have also changed up the website with better pics of the plates etc. and I have some new stuff in the works.

Thanks!

Dave
http://www.motooverland.com
 

toowheels

New member
imported post

imported post

Hello riders,

The new MOD F800 GS V2 skid plate is finally now available. :)

It takes the original versions' coverage and protection (and made in BC goodness:clap:) and makes it compatible with lot's of engine bar options. Adventure-Spec, BMW, Hepco Becker, Givi, SW-Motech, and Touratech have been confirmed so far. I'm still on the lookout for some Holans to try it with. :help

Thanks to; Mark, Gary, Jeff, Carlos, Sean, and Mark & everyone at Pacific Yamaha BMW Husqvarna.

Pacific Yamaha BMW Husqvarna do have the skid plates (and tool box) in stock too so you can check them out.
They also have the Giant Loop Great Basin in stock for a truly "fast and light" set-up. This bag hugs the bike, doesn't shift around, is really slim and off-roadable! Doesn't need any racks, simple on and off, lighter than any hard bag set-up, nothing to bend or break, 50+ L of space and it's super tough!

Here are some pics;

MOD V2 skid plate, MOD top rack with Roto Pax 3.8l side mounted, Giant Loop Great Basin saddlebag and Fandango tank bag

IMG_2812.jpg


MOD F800 GS V2 skid plate...

IMG_3204.jpg



IMG_3205.jpg


with Hepco Becker bars...

IMG_3265.jpg


with BMW bars and showing the underside protection...

IMG_3199.jpg


with tool box...

IMG_2752.jpg


The long awaited F800 GS top rack (also made right here:clap:) is in production now too and should be available around March 19th.

You can check out all the details on the website;
http://www.motooverland.com

Thanks!

Dave
 

toowheels

New member
imported post

imported post

Further to this post there is a Distributor Product Show at Pacific Yamaha BMW on Saturday March 13th. from 9-5.

I'll be there to answer questions and show all the products. I'll also have the prototype MOD F800 GS top rack (they will be ready in about another week) with the various Rotopax set-ups and all of the Giant Loop bags. :tup:

There will also be reps from Joe Rocket, Arai, Rev-it...and the list goes on.

Thanks,

Dave
http://www.motooverland.com
 

BLACK TUSK

New member
imported post

imported post

Greetings fellow f8 riders.
As a reply to Dave's post regarding his new skid plate...
I'd like to advise, that in my short experience, this kind of protection is the most critical that you can invest in for your bike.
Unlike crash bars, which come into play when you're no longer upright.
The correct skid plate is paramount protection against errant thrown stones as a result of simply riding.
Within 15 minutes of my first off-road adventure, I had damaged my exhaust.
This was a direct result of thrown stones.

I had met Dave at the Vancouver bike show this year, in the course of investigating all things f8, although I didn't yet own one, or have much of an idea when I would.
I was immediately impressed with the man and his products.

Quite suddenly, a short time later, I found myself being the owner of a new f8.
After finally securing dual-sport tires, I immediately set forth for the mandatory test to discover the off-road capabilities of the bike.
This resulted in the afore mentioned blight on my new baby.
My first course of action was to contact Dave. The skid plates we're not yet ready for delivery, however Dave was very forthcoming in offering me a loaner to bridge the period, There-by enabling me to actually ride my new toy.
Several rides, enjoyed to sound of rocks wind-chiming off my skid plate,
gave me a grin in the helmet, to know they were singing off the plate, and not crushing the vulnerable oil filter and cooler.
Recently Dave hooked me up with the new modified plate and last weekend I headed up the Squamish and Elaho rivers to see where the snow would halt me. Sure enough the plate had a bite. This averted missile was headed directly for the oil lines.
I personally, can't imagine venturing off-road without this critical armour, as it's avoided damage to the bike on each ride.

MOD plate... I particularly appreciate this product for the stealth design. Flat smooth bottom section and powder coated black finish.
It blends into the bike seamlessly.
The protection is outstanding and is after-all the reason for the unit.
It protects the engine, the cat, the oil cooler, the oil filter and the exhaust headers, all whilst subtly enhancing the dual-sport appearance of the bike .(my bike is the yellow one in Dave's post)
The installation was so easy and quick and fit perfectly.
Thanks for bringing it to the market Dave!
 

Lucky

New member
How easy/difficult is it when I need to change oil?
Do I have to take off the plate?
Do I need a special tool to remove the oil filter?
 

toowheels

New member
How easy/difficult is it when I need to change oil?
Do I have to take off the plate?
Do I need a special tool to remove the oil filter?

Hi Lucky, Thankfully you sent me an email too as I hadn't been keeping up here since we got back.

So for others that want to know;

1. Really you'll have to take off the Skid Plate 'cause it's near impossible to not spill oil onto the plate anyhow. Once it's been mounted though it's only a 2 minute operation...or 1 minute if you're me 'cause I've done it a hundred times.
2. It's a twist-on/off style filter so you need the oil filter strap type tool (I actually don't know what it's official name is?!)

Thanks for picking up the Skid Plate and Top Rack at Pacific BMW by the way!

See you out there!

Dave
www.motooverland.com
 

toowheels

New member
Hi Lucky,

Sorry I missed your question...

I've though about it and I have the rough idea but there won't be anything happening soon on that front.

Are you going to the Moto show?

See you there...booth 805 with Britannia Composites. I have Ian's Mirage 2 fairing on the F8 too for people to check out.

I'll also have a new small part for the F8:

IMG_5299.jpg


Simple, effective and less expensive than others :)

Hopefully ready for the show.

Drop by and say hi!

Thanks,

Dave
www.motooverland.com
 

toowheels

New member
MOD BMW F800/F650 GS Skid Plate compatability

MOD BMW F800/F650 GS Skid Plate compatability

Hi Dave,

Does the plate work with sw-motech ? View attachment 5306

Hi Lucky!

Why yes it does!

In fact that's what I'm using right now.

The list of compatible engine bars is: Touratech, SW-Motech, Holan (and Holan Pro), Hepco & Becker, Adv-Spec (G-it), Metal Mule, Alt-Rider, BMW & Givi

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Dave
www.motooverland.com
 

toowheels

New member
MOD V2 Skid Plate with Wild @ Heart engine bars

MOD V2 Skid Plate with Wild @ Heart engine bars

Hey F8/F650 GS'ers

We have another run of Top Racks in stock now and we FINALLY more V2 skid plates!!
clap.gif


Both Pacific Motor Sports and Island BMW now have them in stock again too.

Also we have finally been able to test fit with Wild @ Heart's engine bars...success!!
icon10.gif


IMG_7046.jpg

The fit is great...lot's of clearance.

IMG_7042.jpg

Great coverage from the side plates too. They integrate with the W@H bars very well.

IMG_7045.jpg



So that puts the compatible engine bars list at
deal.gif
:

-Adventure Spec (G-it)
-Alt-Rider
-BMW
-Givi
-Hepco & Becker
-Holan (and Holan Pro)
-Metal Mule
-SW-Motech
-Touratech
-Wild @ Heart

Thanks for checkin' it out!

Dave
www.motooverland.com
 

toowheels

New member
MOD Skid Plate Tool Box

MOD Skid Plate Tool Box

The MOD Tool Box is finally back...almost.

They are just about ready to go and should be available in the beginning of April.

It`s pretty much identical to the original with a few little improvements.

What it looks like:
IMG_7228.jpg


IMG_7233.jpg


Only black will be available in the first run. Key lock and slot lock (shown above) options.

Mounted up:
IMG_2744.jpg


IMG_6268.jpg


It bolts right to the front of our skid plate through the existing holes with the stainless steel hardware and rubber sealing washers supplied.

I'd be pretty hard pressed to do without mine. It has all my tools ready waiting whenever needed in a low (but not too low) spot. Great for heavy stuff.

There have been a few waiting for it's return...

Improvements:
The key lock version will now have a "dust" cover. More sturdy than a simple dust cover though. It's never been a problem on any of the ones out there (for 3 years now) including mine that is used all year round but we're taking it that extra bit.

Refining the gasket at the door a bit too.

We're also tossing in a desiccant (silica gel) pack to help with the condensation inside. It's so well sealed that in can get a bit steamy in there for the tools.

The Tool Box is not 100% waterproof but very close. A few drip of water maybe after puddle hopping or lot's of rain being pelted at it by the front wheel. I've been happy with it.

You may also be able to mount it to other :confused: skid plates or other places. We've had the previous version mounted inside the side rack, non-exhaust side by a few riders.

More pics and info soon...

Pacific Motorsports and Island BMW will have them as soon as they are out.

It'll be on my bike (Orange F8 above) for the Spring NuBee ride as usual so if you want to come check it out don't be shy!

Any questions fire away!

Thanks,

Dave
www.motooverland.com
 
Last edited:

toowheels

New member
MOD Skid Plate Tool Box

MOD Skid Plate Tool Box

In!
Cant wait to pick one up.

Looks great.

Thanks BTW HeadinSouth!!

Well after a few bumps (wouldn't be an adventure would it?) in the road they're out!! :clap:

IMG_7430.jpg

Two versions: Key lock and slot (coin) lock.

IMG_7438.jpg

The key lock version now has a dust cover. Not really needed in my 3 years but it's there to go the extra mile (km)!

IMG_7442.jpg

Not 100% waterproof but damn close. We refined the door sealing a bit too and we've tossed in a couple of silica gel packs to help combat condensation in there.

IMG_7462.jpg

We had some issues with the tolerance of the carriage bolts used to mount it but it's sorted now. Above is my preferred way to mount it. The carriage bolts can be run either way though.

This way has no sharp edges outside in case your skid plate takes a big impact, to damage the headers. You do have the nuts poking inside the Tool Box though.

Flip around all the hardware and you have a smooth interior. Either way bonded sealing washers are outside the Tool Box to seal it.

We've also added a rubber damping pad for the Skid Plate front bracket (hold up #2). :clap:

I've always wanted to have to fully rubber damped for vibration and to help dissipate impacts and we've finally gotten it going. Note that the BMW/Touratech on also uses a rubber damped front mount. The trick is to do it without compromising the strength of it and the support for the breakaway mounts.

It comes with the Tool Box.

Please contact me if you would like one but aren't buying a Tool Box.
dave(at)motooverland(dot)com

Pacific Motorsports has them in stock now and Island BMW will have them in next week.

It may fit on other skid plates :p and it has certainly been mounted in other places too in it's previous life...

Thanks!

Dave
www.motooverland.com
 

toowheels

New member
MOD BMW F800/F700/F650 GS V3 Skid Plate

MOD BMW F800/F700/F650 GS V3 Skid Plate

We've just introduced the New V3 skid plate for the F800/F700/F650 GS!!

Some pics of what the NEW V3 skid plate looks like now with the added vents underneath:

IMG_8006.jpg

As mentioned above we put them there just so some air can be drawn up from underneath in very slow technical riding. They are in a spot that is well supported by the mounting inserts. We wanted to add them without compromising the strength underneath.

from the outside up close:
IMG_8018.jpg


from the inside up close:
IMG_8014.jpg

notice our skid plates are welded inside and out!

and the up close shot of our CNC machined mounting inserts:
IMG_8023.jpg

There are a few reasons we use them because they are far more $$ than the alternatives.
deal.gif

1. They fully support the material around them making that area stronger than just having a hole cut through it.
2. They also make the entire unit stronger as it's fully supported all 'round.
3. We can run a longer weld, strengthening the attachment points.
4. The depth is accurate so we can have our skid plate have the most ground clearance possible, still completely protect the hardware and have a smooth sliding surface to get over something if need be.

Teamed up with the new venting shown above we have a new bracket!

Here's the new bracket in the foreground compared to the previous one:
IMG_8085.jpg


It's significantly stronger and also has other improvements
deal.gif
:

-1.5x the surface area of the previous one to give excellent resistance from the skid plate moving any direction. It's both taller and wider.

-The front face is obviously very thick and the big reason for that is we have maximized the thread depth to 12mm. The threads are also rolled and not cut so they are stronger. Since the bracket is CNC'd alu it's still only 93g (3.3 oz).

-The front hardware has been bumped up to M8 from the previous M6. The 5mm allen head is also more user friendly because it's less likely to strip out and it's also a much stronger interface that you can apply more torque to. The M8 bolts are fit perfectly through the skid plate holes and with the increased torque will offer an attachment that will reduce the likely hood of any movement of the skid plate.

-The attachment arms are taller and even a little shorter that the previous version for max strength

-It works with all previous versions of our skid plates without any modifications to the skid plate
clap.gif

We always keep existing owners in mind!

A few more pics:
IMG_8097.jpg


IMG_8098.jpg


Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks for checking it out!

Dave
www.MotoOverland.com
 
Top