New member... New KLX300 owner, getting my motorcycle license...

Grantsterguy

A little intro of myself...

I brought home this dual sport Kawasaki KLX300 last week after starting to shop for a dirt/trail bike a few weeks ago. 20 years ago I did a lot of trail riding with a XR250. Before family and mini vans... you get the idea...

These days my wife I are doing more and more things outdoors. Hiking is a huge part of our lives as is camping, snowboarding in the winter, and exploring - we bought a Jeep Wrangler last summer as it just seemed to ‘fit’.

We were hiking in Mission 2 weeks ago and came down part of a FSR when several rode by on their trail bikes... it stirred something in me and well... here I am!

I decided on a dual purpose because while I never really thought I’d want to ride on road, the thought of the convenience of taking off to the hills without having to load the bike up is really appealing.

But I never thought it would be so hard to find the bike I wanted... COVID has hammered the global supply chain. But I came across the Kawasaki, it is a great bike, and so I brought it home. And as I understand now, i was very lucky to find one.

Only problem... BIG (but good) PROBLEM... it’s a dual sport but I don’t have a class 6 license... and ICBC is months behind in getting people through.

...I had the written test booked for July 17th (can you believe it?!!) but then I noticed last Thursday morning at 5am a cancellation that same day on the online booking system, available for 8:30. I Booked it, crammed the motorcycle study guide for 2 hours, and wrote the test. Tricky bugger but I passed.

So now I have my learners and need time riding with licensed bikers to practice my road sense. (Anyone in Abbotsford want to ride with me?)

I’m not a speed freak and safety is my #1 concern so I’m enrolled in a full motorcycle training school that starts next week. (VTwin)

I’m looking forward to enjoying the trails again, and getting on the road as well with a bike - something new! As I mentioned, I live in Abbotsford and want to explore the great areas in the local mountains, Harrison, Chilliwack and beyond. And the occasional road trip!

happy to be part of this forum.

Attachments

• BE33F5FC-1EFD-4CB9-8753-9164C1C83C08.jpeg
    BE33F5FC-1EFD-4CB9-8753-9164C1C83C08.jpeg
    903.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

hollywoodcrash

Welcome. I think you were lucky to get the Kawi 300, my friend's waiting on the new Honda 300 for another couple of weeks at least. Nice bike there. Get some gear too! ATGATT! Rip it up!

Grantsterguy

Thanks
I was on the Honda wait list as well when I saw this one become available and decided to jump at it. Both bikes are awesome but the one that you’re able to ride is always the better one. :)

tony.bike

A little intro of myself...

I brought home this dual sport Kawasaki KLX300 last week after starting to shop for a dirt/trail bike a few weeks ago. 20 years ago I did a lot of trail riding with a XR250. Before family and mini vans... you get the idea...

These days my wife I are doing more and more things outdoors. Hiking is a huge part of our lives as is camping, snowboarding in the winter, and exploring - we bought a Jeep Wrangler last summer as it just seemed to ‘fit’.

We were hiking in Mission 2 weeks ago and came down part of a FSR when several rode by on their trail bikes... it stirred something in me and well... here I am!

I decided on a dual purpose because while I never really thought I’d want to ride on road, the thought of the convenience of taking off to the hills without having to load the bike up is really appealing.

But I never thought it would be so hard to find the bike I wanted... COVID has hammered the global supply chain. But I came across the Kawasaki, it is a great bike, and so I brought it home. And as I understand now, i was very lucky to find one.

Only problem... BIG (but good) PROBLEM... it’s a dual sport but I don’t have a class 6 license... and ICBC is months behind in getting people through.

...I had the written test booked for July 17th (can you believe it?!!) but then I noticed last Thursday morning at 5am a cancellation that same day on the online booking system, available for 8:30. I Booked it, crammed the motorcycle study guide for 2 hours, and wrote the test. Tricky bugger but I passed.

So now I have my learners and need time riding with licensed bikers to practice my road sense. (Anyone in Abbotsford want to ride with me?)

I’m not a speed freak and safety is my #1 concern so I’m enrolled in a full motorcycle training school that starts next week. (VTwin)

I’m looking forward to enjoying the trails again, and getting on the road as well with a bike - something new! As I mentioned, I live in Abbotsford and want to explore the great areas in the local mountains, Harrison, Chilliwack and beyond. And the occasional road trip!

happy to be part of this forum.
Welcome! Always happy to hear about someone returning to the sport. That's a great bike, very dependable. I had a 250 that i bought a 300 kit for and took it in WABDR twice and through the desert on an 1000 mile loop in Oregon / Nevada. You are in for some fun. I live in White Rock but just got my bike going again and looking to get out. There are some very kind and generous souls in this group. My skills are not up to par with them and i cannot tell who how many times the have helped rescue my bike. If you want to have a little tour around Chilliwack Tamahi area i can show you. Let me know.

Last edited:

Grantsterguy

Hey, thanks for the note! That is quite an amazing trip. I'd love to explore the Chilliwack Tamahi area, i know nothing about it. I should have my full learners within two weeks after i pass my skills test in a week... I'll send you a pm.