Opinion needed on a couple older KTM bikes

motorambler

New member
Looking to get myself a decent DS bike in and around the $3K mark. I don't know much about these 2 older KTMs that are posted on Craigslist. They are both 2003 model years, but one is a 520 & the other is a 525. I dunno does that seem right?

Post your thoughts on what you think. I ain't riding to alaska or anything, just gonna be using it for the local DSBC rides :)

Here they are:

2003 KTM 520

2003 KM 525
 
I have 3 words of advise for anyone purchasing an older DS bike; maintenance, maintenance & maintenance!!! Make sure that you get documentation on who performed the maintenance on the bike. If it was not performed by a shop then start acting like Columbo and ask a lot of questions, like where is the drain bolt, how do you clean the air filter, how much does an oil filter cost. If they cannot answer the questions then I would be suspicious. Be careful, sometimes you get what you pay for.
Good luck.
 

Mad Max

New member
Bring a long screwdriver and press the handle to your ear and press the point to the cylinder head and the bottom end, Swish swish sounds = good , tick tick sounds = bad, tell the guy you want to start the bike from DEAD COLD,NOT WARMED UP . Look at brake pads+chain. jack it up + feel for worn suspension bearings/bushings. Hows the oils look? Are rims round still? Go for a ride . How does the tranny shift+feel?Do all electrics work how they should? Finally look at all the guys other stuff... his boat,his home,his truck,his yard etc, these will give you clues about his maintenance habits.I don't know anything about checking rads.....anyone else?

Go with your gut

Max
 

cactusreid

Active member
motorambler,just a heads up that hasn't been mentioned yet. both those bikes if they are plated-were done from RUM bike beginings. so you may be able to transfer the ownership and plate the bike, but you will always have a bike that could be pulled over,sent in for an inspection/failed-now you have yourself a dirtbike. if i was lookin in your $ range,i think i'd be looking for a dr,drz fully legal type of bike. it's crappy.but that's what the new rules state.
 

ktmken

New member
Finally look at all the guys other stuff... his boat,his home,his truck,his yard etc, these will give you clues about his maintenance habits.

I like this. You can tell a lot about someone by looking at their stuff!

Good advice

KTMKen
 

c337b

Moderator
Finally look at all the guys other stuff... his boat,his home,his truck,his yard etc, these will give you clues about his maintenance habits.

Go with your gut

Max

If you looked at my yard you wouln't buy my bike. Spend my weekends riding & working on my bikes , not yard work

Look for missing and loose parts Is the bike washed or still covered in dirt I wash my bike after every ride Gives me a chance to look it over and see if anything needs fixing
 

motorambler

New member
motorambler,just a heads up that hasn't been mentioned yet. both those bikes if they are plated-were done from RUM bike beginings. so you may be able to transfer the ownership and plate the bike, but you will always have a bike that could be pulled over,sent in for an inspection/failed-now you have yourself a dirtbike. if i was lookin in your $ range,i think i'd be looking for a dr,drz fully legal type of bike. it's crappy.but that's what the new rules state.
Yeah I'm well aware of the RUM status & potential issues & kinda figured these old beasts were not likely factory street legal. There doesn't seem to be a lot out there in the $3K price range that I want to buy.
 

Ti welder

New member
One thing to say about the rum thing. It sucks to always wonder if today will be my last street ride.
The other thing is I don't like orange. the 525 is a short stroke shim under bucket engine. lots of power but the longjevity??
 
That 2003 520 is actually a 2002. I believe 2003 has the 2 into 1 header, not seperate pipes. In 2003 the model became 525. 2002 and prior: 520.

RFS is a proven engine. No worries if it's taken care of and doesn't have too many hours.
 

Island Hopper

New member
In response to Ti Welders post the 525 valve adjustment is via a conventional tappet with locknut adjusters not shim under bucket...
 
Last edited:

vexorg

Flinger of mud
the 525 is a short stroke shim under bucket engine. lots of power but the longjevity??

I have over 420 hours on my engine so far with no need for a rebuild. Valves (which are NOT shim under bucket) only need to be done twice a year and take 15 minutes to do. And I know I'm not alone on the longevity thing. On ktmtalk.com, many guys report not needing to do a top end until at least 300 hours.
 

Ti welder

New member
300 hrs is not a whole lot more than the top end for my 450crf. No I don't have a hour meter on it but 2 years on the first top end and 3 years since then. Yes I ride alot. oversquare 4 strokes don't like constant rpm. Is the ktm bigger bore than stroke?
 
O

old trials guy

Guest
Looking to get myself a decent DS bike in and around the $3K mark. I don't know much about these 2 older KTMs that are posted on Craigslist. They are both 2003 model years, but one is a 520 & the other is a 525. I dunno does that seem right?

Post your thoughts on what you think. I ain't riding to alaska or anything, just gonna be using it for the local DSBC rides :)

Here they are:

2003 KTM 520

2003 KM 525

Hey MR:

I would think if neither of these have been apart for rings and a valve grind there is a high likelyhood they will need it unless they have really low hours. Of course, a compression test, test run, inspect exhaust for oily deposits etc along with overall condition of the bike would tell a great deal.

I hear some of the four strokes and they sound like a bucket of nails shaking around, I would be wary of one of those but I hear others that sound tight with no big rattles or knocks. It doesn't seem to be age related, more likely how it has been used or abused and how well maintained.

At the end of the day you could buy a brand new bike and still have issues especially if it is a higher performance four stroke. Buy it right and make sure you are prepared to pay out some serious coin at some point to overhaul.

otg
 

gasgaskid

New member
It's not always the top end, my 2002 model 400 exc KTM had 7,500 easy trail and road kilometers on it and the countershaft shaft had noticeable wear on the splines. I was quoted 800$ labor and parts to replace it. I was not impressed. The canadian rep for KTM said "What do you expect for a RFS -Racing Four Stroke- It has to be totally striped down and rebuilt every 100 hours!"
 
Top