*&%$(* plastic Skid plate

Randaroo

Member
Picked up my brand new KLR 3 weeks ago and fussed with it a bit, strapping bags on and off with one eye on the weather, saw a break in the cloads and headed out for the inaugeal voyage. Saturday.

Headed south from my place, I'm north of Pemberton, enjoying the suspension and an above zero day. I took some pictures on the way and day dreamed about the adventures to come. heading past the logging camp at Port Douglas at the north end of Harrison lake I began a reconoiter of the Harrison lake road, enjoying the plyable suspension and how much the bike and I were becomeing one with the world.

Encountered a few water bars that were a favorite part of duel-sport riding from my early days and wheelied over abot the third one, WHACK, a familiar sound but a bit more metalic than I was expecting. Pulled up and shut 'er down to find oil pissing out of the now punched crank case. Both halves were affected. @#%$!& plastic skid plate did bugger all. Took the key and left the helmet. Started walking.

After a short time I was picked up by a couple of drunken teens in a rental truck on their way to the slauket hot springs,... many trials and tribulations, i got home after midnight and then had to fire up the old farm truck to rescue the bike.

Not happy at all, I removed the engine and dropped it off at Bby Kawasaki, I am still waiting for the word on engine work. I'd be suprised if the bill for the parts alone is under $1200, just for the crankcase halves.

So while I wait and lick my wounds, If you're still running that piece of crap plastic skid plate that comes with the bike. Go strait to the dealer or who ever, and get the biggest skid plate you can find.
 

skidmark43

Administrator / BFF in the blue jacket
imported post

imported post

That's a tough lesson Randaroo. Sorry to read of your misfortune.

Tell Manny (Service Manager) at Burnaby Kawasaki that you're a (new) member here. He's a great guy and might be able to cut you a break on your parts etc.

When the beast is back up & running, I look forward to seeing you out on some of our rides.
 

Yak_KLR650

New member
imported post

imported post

That sucks!:X When you get the new skid plate, be aware that most of them don't protect the water pump in a right side lay down. I have a home built one that wraps around and protects that side as well as the bottom. I guess warranty won't cover yours, eh? You'd think that if they put a skid plate on that fails to protect the engine from a whack on the bottom, then the fault lies in the manufacture of the skid plate. good luck!
 

Randaroo

Member
imported post

imported post

Thank you for your wisdom. just thought a heads up for anyone buying a DP bike with an styrofoam egg crate for askid plate.

Of course I feal like a complete pratt. I'll pay up and shut up, and get on with the summer. Seems all my life lessons are hard (expensive) ones.

I'll be looking for riders for a few excursions through the Chilcotens, Nemia valley, Bella Colla and such this summer.dirt mine roads, alpine camps and hiking are on the menu...now how to pay for the repairs? I've already recieved the scoldings about, ya know, riding alone, not telling anyone where i'm going, not having a gps cell phone statelite phone spare tire radio becon waterwings bla bla bla bla

Its going to be a great summer.
 

VIMike

New member
imported post

imported post

That was a tough break Randaroo. I was reminded on my first off road ride last year when I brokethe left hand guard on my new KLR, that some plastic componets are not to be counted on. Unfortunately for you the lesson was more expensive, here's hoping the worst is behind you now. Lots of luck, ride safe, and always ride with a partner(s).

VI.
 
G

Guest

Guest
imported post

imported post

Apparently we saw you with the bike on the truck that day. 400 KLX, DRZ400 and a "slightly" modified BMW650. We had just stopped to talk to a guy with a KTM525 and his buddy on a blue DRZ400 who rode with us for a while.

I bought a used KLR650 a few years ago that had the bottom of the case by the drain plug welded up. A similar problem to yours I would assume, had been encountered.
 
L

Leon V.

Guest
imported post

imported post

Hi Randaroo, KLRs really like a huge bash plate. Way back when, Triumphs stripped for desert use were called sleds, because the skid plate dragged on the gound all the time. KLRs do the same thing. On a Vedder mountain ride a while back, a few rocks felt like hand grenades going off on my skid plate. Result? A nasty jolt for me, no damage to KLR. Did you know guys used to find an old shovel about the right size, shoot holes in it and mount up this mess for the skid plate? This stopped when a bullet bounced back and nailed the poor guy. Sheesh. Bye leon
 
G

Guest

Guest
imported post

imported post

Leon V. wrote:
Hi Randaroo, KLRs really like a huge bash plate. Way back when, Triumphs stripped for desert use were called sleds, because the skid plate dragged on the gound all the time. KLRs do the same thing. On a Vedder mountain ride a while back, a few rocks felt like hand grenades going off on my skid plate. Result? A nasty jolt for me, no damage to KLR. Did you know guys used to find an old shovel about the right size, shoot holes in it and mount up this mess for the skid plate? This stopped when a bullet bounced back and nailed the poor guy. Sheesh. Bye leon


There ya go. Just go out during hunting season with you shovel and an instant bash plate is yours:hr:
 
I

IanB

Guest
imported post

imported post

That's real bad luck. If anyone needs a plate for a KLR, I noticed that there was one in Holeshot the other day.

Ian
 

Island Hopper

New member
imported post

imported post

Spunkys also has a couple of the Moose bash plates in for the KLR at $125, I think you could haggle on that price a bit though.
 
G

Guest

Guest
imported post

imported post

Island Hopper wrote:
Spunkys also has a couple of the Moose bash plates in for the KLR at $125, I think you could haggle on that price a bit though.


$90 for a new Moose for my XR650L from Pacific Yamaha:clap:

btw. How big is the hole? Might be able to weld it.
 

Randaroo

Member
imported post

imported post

Being a farmer, the farm fix has a bit of appeal to it.

If I was to go down to the big smoke and visit the homey Hardware, hand tool section, and measure up one of their big spanking shovels. I could walk away with a 25 dollar skid plate with a tulip holder out front. Everyone would be jealous. Just pulling out the mussel loader and whacking a few holes in 'er could be testing the good nature of the counter staff. (Might lose my discount.)

Of course I was thinking of 1/4" T1 platemoments after watching the oil piddling out. ( My apologies to the fish and others)

thanks to all for your condolances, i'll survive. duct tape, bubble gum and bailing wire is how we keep most things going here. I'm sure that I'll be back out there in a week or two. Just gotta get the snow off the hurley pass, (just out my back door) usualy gets plowed for May 24 or June 10 but at least 2 meters of snow there now.
 

Roaddane

New member
imported post

imported post

Man that sucks Randaroo. I too feared that happening to mine so the first aftermarket purchase was an aluminum skidplate. After 10000km mine's taken a beating and I'm a pretty tame rider. I bottomed out once so bad that I pushed the skidplate in and luckily I have a low-profile oil drain plug, cuz if I had the original, which is a good 1/4" taller, I probably would've done some major damage.

Good luck in your fix,

Paul
 

Norm

New member
imported post

imported post

That sucks! I hope you're back on the road!

A friend did the same thing to his and I had a near miss up Harrison East coming down from the hot tubs. It now sports a Moab plate from Arrowhead Motorsports. There is a difference in how much protection various plates provide to the water pump. Mine is good but a friend got one from Happt Trails recently which has much less protection. I suggest that you also invest in a low profile drain plug or, if it is being welded a Yamaha type which takes an Allen socket as these are even lower profile. Sheldon had his welded and is happy with the result. Much cheaper and just as good as new.

HIH

Norm
 

Randaroo

Member
imported post

imported post

just wanted to say that I'm back in the saddle again.

You're right, Manny at Bby Kawasaki was great about everything, even sprung for a few parts, jug of oil. Though the bill was steep , as expected, the labour was quite reasonable considering what goes into an engine tear down-build up and what ever is required to set everything back up again. I know that Kawasaki is notorious for over pricing thier parts which gives service departments very little wiggle room for thier customers. More likly it comes out of thier own pockets.

Anyway, after selling off the first born male child and pimping out the cat and dog, I'm back to exploring some backroads.

The Hurley road is still snowed in at Km 17, the Meager is all open, at least to km 36 where the pummice sort is. This weekend I'll, mmm, ride the Seaton highline road over to Goldbridge and loop back through lilloette. Nothing too lumpy or big yet as a proper bash plate is on the way.

I realise now that many years ago when I traded my XR500 for a trials bike was actualy a bid for longer life expectancy, I'm a nut, I'd better slow down and act my age a bit. Once I get that youthful enthusiasm out of my system and look around a bit i may realise a whole world out there to see....Naaaww Pin it!

I'll throw some rides up as the summer comes on here. Thanks to all. Randaroo
 
S

soupbone138

Guest
imported post

imported post

Randaroo,
when they open the Hurley be sure and let us know as I am looking forward to going up to the Taylor basin cabin again.
 

Randaroo

Member
imported post

imported post

I'll do that.

Any suggestions where I should post that information, which topic area would be best?

I can add a bit of knowledge of that area too as I've ski toured, mountain biked and been a general nuisance there forabout 15 years or so..
 
S

soupbone138

Guest
imported post

imported post

You could post the info in the Vancouver area chat section. Or host a ride when the road opens and give everyone a tour of your neighbourhood.

I have rode the KTM up to Bralorne, Goldbridg, and Tayax area a few times and the road is great. I have also ridden the mntbike from Mouson Pond up over Windy Pass, down the other side and out jewel creek, back to Mouson Pond. A good day in the mountains. I've also ridden the mnt bike on the local Pemberton trails. You're lucky to live in an area with great riding right out your back door...
 

Randaroo

Member
imported post

imported post

Gooood Morning

Thanks for that, i'll post when i hear, the word is that forestry will push it through soon. Usualy one of the logging companies gets browned at the speed of the ministry and sends the local crazy on a D9 to stuff a hole in it. I should have the word by the end of the day.

Good to hear that you've done Windy Pass, Spruce lake. When I bought the bike one of my intentions was to figure out how to break my Mtn bike into peices and strap it onto the thing. I realy like long day trips without the headach of camping just 1 hour from my house. mytruck is rather farm rated and won't enjoy too many more trips over the Hurley before it calves, or if the coppers take a close look. Some of the people i ride with have cabins in that area so staying over is a snap. done a float plane supported 4 day trip in that area for the last three summers and would highly recomend it.

hosting awobble up Cinnibar mine road with a killer lunch/grizzley view spot could be a great way to get the season going, I'll have to put some thought into that one.

day off, bathroom renovations, gotta get rolling, my name is mud, Randaroo
 

Spiceboy

Member
imported post

imported post

The miners at Bralorne told me that the Hurley is usually plowed 1 week before the Maylong weekend for the cabin owners.
 
Top