Roughtlege Run 2011 Remembered

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
2011 GVMC Routledge Run

I just ran across this video, It was a day where one split second bad decision, lasted for 12 hours. This ride has been the topic of many conversations since, sometimes referred to as the Donner Party

 

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
It was 12 hours total with 8 hours of pulling bikes through soft snow. It still seems like it was yesterday
 

KTM-Bryon

Member
I wish I had video of the river crossing on the TCT trail after all that pushing through the snow. I followed Tom through the river and everyone else went around. I am sure the water washed over the top of my seat! It was deep and fast moving. I remember looking down at the bike and seeing how deep the water was, thinking that if I crash we'll never retrieve the bike, and then hitting the gas and making it back out of there. Haha. I think that is still the deepest water crossing I have ever done.
 

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
I wish I had video of the river crossing on the TCT trail after all that pushing through the snow. I followed Tom through the river and everyone else went around. I am sure the water washed over the top of my seat! It was deep and fast moving. I remember looking down at the bike and seeing how deep the water was, thinking that if I crash we'll never retrieve the bike, and then hitting the gas and making it back out of there. Haha. I think that is still the deepest water crossing I have ever done.

I forgot about that water crossing, wont do that again (I hope)
 

Shuswap

Member
Fun video, but at the risk of sounding like a jerk, but in the sincere interest of all off-roaders I have to ask the wisdom of riding around blind left handers in the oncoming/left 'lane'? You WILL meet me or someone else coming up or down in that lane one day, running similar speed and it won't be pretty. Or, was this a closed course ride?
 

KTM-Bryon

Member
I tend to stay right on all the roads and certainly wouldn't get over past the centre on a left hander on a main FSR until I see the road is clear ahead. On this double track we were not much different than a jeep except I could have moved right almost anytime. That plus it was a very seldom used road and it might have had a gate on it at the bottom in fact. I have hit the ditch or into the bushes a few times when Side by Sides or Trucks have come at me around some blind corner. The worst for me was a truck hugging the inside of a left corner and even tho it was a very wide road and I was hugging the far right I had to go into the trees to survive. You gotta think about a possible oncoming vehicle all the time!
 

uniemaia

New member
o.png
sub'd to this thread
 
Top