South from Gaspard Rd. to Mud Lakes

Toddler

We’re in the early stages of planning a trip through the Chilcotin from Hwy 20 south on Gaspard Red Mountain Rd. to Mud Creek FSR. All of the ride reports I’ve been reading seem to be about riding north from Swartz Lake then going east to Yalakom. Can anyone provide some information on the route we’re thinking of taking?
We haven’t set a date yet and we’ll be on KLR 650s and T7s.
Thanks for your help.

offworlder

There are many reports here (search for Yalakom, or "Mud Lakes"). Be warned that the hill climbs out of the Mud Lakes area (past Churn creek) are not to be underestimated.

Toddler

Thanks offworlder, I think I've read all the reports, and the message is clear, "treat the hills with respect".

Take care

Todd

bellacoolarider

A group of us tried to go up from Swartz lake back in September of 2019 on heavy dual sport bikes. There was a major flood and only dirt bikers were able to bypass it going up another hill. We had to turn around and change plans. Last year I made it to Gaspard lake via Gang Ranch. Also be aware that just before arriving to Gaspard Lake, the road is also subject to flooding. Ask me how I know...took us two hours to cover one hundred meters. Beautiful place though and will do it again.

Attachments

• Muddy bike..jpg
    Muddy bike..jpg
    652.2 KB · Views: 11

Toddler

Thanks bellacoolarider, I'm definitely getting a clear picture of what out there. A couple of us are thinking we might head up there to satisfy our curiosity and take a look.

ktmislander

I've ridden that multiple times with my dirtbike and it's always been easy. On my 790, we'll be riding down from Gaspard Lake in mid August, so we'll see how that goes. If anyone rides it this spring/early summer, please update. Awesome riding area!

bellacoolarider

I've ridden that multiple times with my dirtbike and it's always been easy. On my 790, we'll be riding down from Gaspard Lake in mid August, so we'll see how that goes. If anyone rides it this spring/early summer, please update. Awesome riding area!
Hey Ktmislander, please update if you do this trip in August and what the road conditions are. Ever since that failed attempt, I've been wishing to do it again. Next time, I'll take my DRZ instead. Thanks and good luck.

Morning.
The Chilcotin is a great ride.
We've done it twice and doing a 3rd run thru in July.
Never done the Mud Lakes cut through though.
We usually ride...Vanc - Pemberton - Hurley - Lilloet - Pavillion Road (stay at Kelly Lake) - Jesmond Rd - Gang Ranch - (stay at Fletcher Lake) - Alexis Creek - Tsuniah Lake (great fly in only fishing camp we stay a few days) - Chilco Lake - Nemiah Valley ......then link back up to Flethcer Lake and retrace steps to Lilloet.
During the floods it was a challenge, washed out roads, u turns, etc...
Locals always stop to ask if you need help whenever you are pulled over on the road. :)
Great area, great trips, great fishing.
We usually take 7 days and take our time.
Have fun.