Sprocket setup for 2008 Xr 650L

A

alpineman

Guest
I purchased a 2008 Xr 650L earlier this year, love it, but find it is geared to high, I am sure there is thread on this but I have not been able to find it, I do some highway and some off road ridding, looking for suggestions for which sprockets would work good on the highway aswell as offroad? any help or if someone could direct me to another thread that would be great.
 

XmikeR

New member
imported post

imported post

Ive got a 14 tooth sprocket on the front, and I put on a 13 for the tighter trail days. You'll notice the stock 15 has a rubber damper on the side of it. Without that damper, you will do damage to your output shaft. This is a downside Iaccept, with the knowledge that I'll have to split the case to replace the output shaft at some point. To get better bottom end power, check out Dave's mods on Thumpertalk.com Jet it, drill the slide, desmog it,take out the snorkel,and that 15 tooth wont seem quite as bad. It gives you a much more usable power. These mods are not expensive, the only cost being a few bucks for the jets, and about 30 bucks for a smog block of kit.

another xr site online xrsonly.com Mtrsports.com
 
A

alpineman

Guest
imported post

imported post

Thanks XmikeR
I did the Dave's mod and smog block off kit also have a supertrap exhaust. but I still find it would be nice to lower the gearing down for the trails, I was thinking of going with 14 / 48 for gearing, sholud be better on the trails and be able to use the bike on highways.
 

Mad Max

New member
imported post

imported post

I run stock rear (45 tooth I think ) but I use 13,14 and 15 tooth fronts depending on what the ride of the day is . The upside is not having to change the chain .

Ride Hard

Max
 
A

alpineman

Guest
imported post

imported post

does changing to a 14, or 13 make much of a difference? kind of like this idea think I will try it than I only have to change the front only.
 

XRFisher

New member
imported post

imported post

You will lose about 7% of your top speed. With stock gearing 45/15 the rpm at 110 kph was about 4300 rpm. With 45/14 rpm at 110 kph was around 4800 rpm. My numbers might be off a bit because I did the experiment last summer and didn't record the results.

The benefits of dropping the front sprocket will pay off. Watch chain/sprocket life span because changing sprockets reduces its life. At least that was what happened in my case.
 

baxter650

New member
imported post

imported post

I had to replace my intermediate (output)shaft with under 40,000 kms.
I think this to be because i too went with a few aftermarket front sprockets.
If i was going to regear my new 650L i would use a larger rear, it's probably splitting hairs but a longer chain should also add chain and sprocket life, however a small amount.
Vince
 

Mad Max

New member
imported post

imported post

I just installed an xr650r front sprocket on my xr650l BUT you MUST use a grinder and face about3/32"to 1/8" off of the retainer side of the sprocket for proper chain alignment.The upside to this is that you get more spline to mainshaft contact areawhich should equallonger mainshaft life;)

Ride Hard

Max
 
B

bigthumper

Guest
imported post

imported post

You can buy a 14t for a late model xr600r that has proper fit & finish. It was made for that bike in a round about way.
 

Mad Max

New member
imported post

imported post

Anybody ever seen a 16 tooth front for XR 600 XRL650 or XR650R?Who made it?

Ride Hard

Max
 
B

bigthumper

Guest
imported post

imported post

You can get a 16t from a sprockets specialist companycan't remember which one. Should be able to find it in a google search.
 
Top