Thanks for all your help!

balmer

New member
I finally got a BIKE...............2015 crf 250 l. Have put a few rides in (4 in west chilcotin and 1 in kitimat) and have fallen in love. Can't believe how hard it is and realize how much I have to learn. Anyway, there are a few things I was wondering if peeps had some advice for me with......

1. I'd like to get a lift/stand for maintenance (currently can't even get my bike into the shop for 100km km oil change).....and have been schooled that I need to be cleaning my chain regularly. With the weight of this bike I'm really thinking about something that could help with the lifting part and another factor is we own an atv so I am thinking about debating a stand to lift both??? thoughts??????

2. I want to get a folding mirror................best one for money?

3. I'd like to get some bark busters as I'm sure i'll be crashing and can't believe I haven't already as the trails i've been on have been WELL above my ability

4. I should already know but would really like to get a rack for the back to add a 1 gallon fuel tank. This is my biggest beef with this bike though (why wasn't this built with a larger fuel tank? I think at least a gallon bigger would be good as this bike is already HEAVY)

5. I have toyed around with a windshield..................just put one on my wifes atv and she loves it with the bad weather we get and cool temps

6. A friend said I should look into after market rear lights as there are some nice led setups that get rid of the big tail light setups.....

Sorry for so much but i'm a rookie and all i see is tons of options for purchase. I'm after the best value for money and ideally one stop shop but with my location being so far from most shops and with royal distributing and then a bunch of other websites.........................i could use some advice from peeps who have already been there.

Thanks

McCaul
 

TW_rider

Member
1. Watch your Cambodian Tire flyer...they sometimes have a M/C lift "on sale". Check Princess Auto if you have one in your area.
2. Double-take mirrors.
3. OK
4. Maybe look into a larger aftermarket tank instead of carrying a 10lb bomb behind you...just a thought.
5. Get one that can be easily removed, for when you get into the trails....nothing worse than getting a windshield in the chin when riding in the technical stuff...DAMHIK.
6. There are some nice options available. Check out the ProCycle website http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/crf250-crf450.html even if you can't/won't order from them, it gives you an idea of what's on the market.

Hope some of this is helpful...
 

balmer

New member
Hey, nice!!!
2. where to get double take mirrors?
3. what kind are good and where to get?
4. aftermarket tank I like much more than bomb but have no idea where or what to get
5. yes this is much lower priority but ya good thought!
6. cheers
 

DaveSw

Member
I bought my Double Take mirrors from mx1 - a sponsor in Richmond.

I did get the Cambodian Tire motorcycle lift on sale a couple of weeks ago. Just in time to change the rear tire and the steering head bearings. Some fussing to get the air out of the hydraulic lift bit, but now it works very well for what I want to do with it.

I bought a number of LED bulbs from the eBay world - all from China at prices that make the locally available ones look like they're made of gold or platinum. The ones for the speedo are great. The tail/brake light is nice too. Still waiting for the delivery of bulbs for the turn signal lights. (on the order of a buck or two each with free delivery to boot)
 

Randual

Member
For the # 3 on your list go to mx1canada as he is a site sponsor and has a wide variety ... I have bought multiple units there and have been very satisfied!
May I suggest for your # 4 If you don't go for the larger fuel tank, (mx1 has these too!) the rotopax fuel system... The one we have holds about a gallon and is secure on the bike ,
Not sure where to get the Roto pax from but Dirt Racks is a site sponsor too (I believe) they are an option for you!
good luck with setting up your new ride! :tup:
 

TW_rider

Member
http://www.dualsportbc.com/sponsors.html

Any or all of these can help you find what you're looking for...AND they're all sponsors, so it's a "pay-it-forward" kind of thing.

4. I have an IMS aftermarket tank on my DR and although it leaked at first, now that it is properly sealed and seated...I love it! Never have to worry about driving further than my tank can take me!
 

Farp

Active member
6. A friend said I should look into after market rear lights as there are some nice led setups that get rid of the big tail light setups.....

One thing to keep in mind: it is NOT in your best interest to reduce your visibility to traffic behind you.

John
 

Shuswap

Member
One thing to keep in mind: it is NOT in your best interest to reduce your visibility to traffic behind you.

John

John is right and the Edge led light I installed on my DRZ is quite pathetic. Fortunately I do little on-road riding with the DRZ.
I have the Clarke tank on my bike and would buy another in a heartbeat. Clarke says it holds 14L, but I can squeeze 16 into the tanker.
Dirtbikes don't have windshields for a reason......the one on my F700GS almost drove me nuts the first time I ventured off-road. I caught myself trying to peer around it:)
Some form of barkbuster is great, as well as wider pegs....

For model-specific info you might want to look here: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/351-crf250-lm/
 
Last edited:
Top