Trouble with LED Flashers

GordOnTrail

New member
Hello,

I'm running into an issue with installing LED flashers on the 08 Honda XR 650L. I presently can't get the Relay to trigger. Lights Come on but don't blink.

I have installed flush mount LED's on the front and keeping the stock incandescent units on the rear (they're more flexible than the LED's i've found). I understand that you normally need either resistors for the LED's to match the resistance of an incandescent, or you install a Non-load-dependant flasher relay. I have tried both ways.

On my xl 600 I replaced the stock lights that i'd smashed with ALL LED's and used resistors(installing them inline of the rear lights under the seat). No problems there. I thought i could do it the same way on the 650.

So i have tried:

resistors in-line in the rear circuits
resistors in-line in the front circuits
remove resistors and install Flasher relay meant for LED's

Where am I losing it? is it the indicator bulb in the dash? What baffles me is that the circuit is fine obviously because all the lamps illuminate. It just won't flash, even with the special flasher relay.

Thanks,

i'll try to get some pics if that helps people picture stuff
 

GordOnTrail

New member
WiringDiagram-1.jpg


Here's a wiring diagram also
 

GordOnTrail

New member
Nevermind. Solved my own problem. I know how I solved it but not sure why.

I used a different set of resistors in parallel to the front LED's and now the cicuits will flash. Not sure what the difference is between the two sets of resistors but they have the same specs.
Using the factory relay by the way. The electronic one still doesnt work, don't know why as it's supposed to be a direct replacement and I tried 2 of them to rule it out as faulty.
 

John M

New member
Good that they are working.

If this helps..... The value of resistors multiply in series but in parallel they divide. Relays require a good load of resistance to activate.

John
 

Sparkle

New member
Ummm...resistors in series add rather than multiply. eg: R1+R2+R3 = total resistance...

An example is three 200 ohm resistors in series = 600 ohms.

For resistance in parallel take each resistor and divide it's value into 1 (to get the reciprocal)
then add the reciprocals and divide this number again into 1... eg: 1/(1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3) = total resistance.

An example is three 200 ohm resistors in parallel = 66.6 ohms.


Sparkle
 
Top