Valve check - KTM 950 Adventure

mroddis

Member
Just wondering if anyone had any tips or advice for a first timer doing a valve check on my 06 950?

I've reviewed the how-to over in advrider and have the service manual, but this is the biggest thing I've attempted to do on my bike. I did change the water pump shaft last year but I'm far from a mechanic, and digging into this beast does make me a bit nervous.

So I'm hoping someone can give any bits of advice - even the very small or seemingly obvious advice is welcome! I hope to tackle this before my bike is insured in April - not looking forward to it but I know it should be done. Again any info is appreciated!!

Thanks all,

Matthew.
 

zeddy

Member
I know nothing about the 950 but there is a pretty comprehensive how to on the 1190 valve check over on advrider. I would bet there is a how to in the 950/990 section. If not I would bet they are both lc8's so you could follow the 1190 instructions.
 

joker650

Active member
I take my 950 to the shop (RTR Performance)to get the valves adjusted.
I strip it down and check them , and if they need adjusting then I throw it in a trailer and drop it off.
That way I don't have to worry about taking it all apart, figuring what shims I need to buy, and hoping that they are the correct ones the first time.
With the bike completely striped down they don't have to work too many hours on it.
 

mroddis

Member
Thanks for the advice all - I'm now in the process of getting my tools/parts all together. Hopefully tackling this later on in the week.

Anyone have a spare spark plug tool laying around?? My tool set didn't come with one....

Matthew.
 
Top