Westwood Plateau Skills Area

jimi2crank

New member
imported post

imported post

I've always gotten a kick out of people who think they should have some exclusive right to a certain area. As a mountainbiker I've run in to equestrians and hikers who have given me that look. As a moto rider the same look from them and mountainbikers. This is what happens when you have higher populated areas and limited outdoor recreation areas. People need to realize all of our shit stinks and we need to share. The sad truth is the population will continue to grow and the limited areas we have here will be housing developments in no time.
 
O

old trials guy

Guest
imported post

imported post

Here is a picture of Vancouver from the viewpoint on Eagle Ridge at the head of Massage Therapist Trail taken mid February. Amazing there is no snow at this elevation.



otg
 

tobster

New member
imported post

imported post

Thanks for guiding OTG that was a good day, nice ride and made it back in time to see the hockey, as a Brit its hard to get excited about hockey but that was awesome. I got a friendly nod from at least one of the Mbikers, that was enough for me, I wasnt expecting a hug or anyone to blow kisses, let it go bro
 
O

old trials guy

Guest
imported post

imported post

tobster wrote:
I got a friendly nod from at least one of the Mbikers, that was enough for me, I wasnt expecting a hug or anyone to blow kisses

In some small way I get a perverse sense of satisfaction from enjoying my sport in spite of those glares and stares of disapproval from those that just don't get what we do. I have been riding bikes since 1964 and the reaction from some is just the same as it was 46 years ago.

Some folks dig bikes and some don't, for those that don't I figure its their loss......

otg :tup:
 

Lucky

New member
imported post

imported post

KTM-Bryon wrote:
The bike really moves around on these big rocks. I was soaked from sweating on the way up and it is also challenging going down. Here is am sliding a bit sideways.

461Lung_Buster_Rock_Garden_Slide_Action_-med.png

This rocks looks rough for XT250...?
 

KTM-Bryon

Member
imported post

imported post

Hi Lucky. Good to hear from you again!

Farp had his Honda CRF230L up there with little trouble but he has quite a few years riding experience.

Yourlow seat height will help. The Buntzen lake lookout road or Burke Mtn roadare nearby and is a better intro.

I am sure I will be up there this weekend so let me know if you want to come out.
 

cheeseburger

New member
imported post

imported post

motorambler wrote:
^^^ That's a great pic, Byron!
Yeah, your position on the bike actually holds a clue to how steep that "road" actually is. I've become fascinated by how difficult it is to take a picture that accurately shows the grade of the terrain. I wonder if 3D cameras would make a difference or whether it's just our inability to tell at which angle the camera was held that is the problem.

Anyway, we didn't get up the road to Cypress Lake on Sunday but it was a good little rip all the same. It's nice to have a group of guys who are interested in riding locally; the routes out in Mission and Chilliwack are great but the commute makes them not for every weekend.


P1000755.JPG


At the gate beforehand


P1000757.JPG


Bryon and his new riders, showing us how big something is


P1000765.JPG


OTG looking on as Motorambler exits the tight stuff


P1000769.JPG


At the lookout over Buntzen Lake and Indian Arm


P1000770.JPG


Snow at the top of Burke Mountain
 
F

franhoser

Guest
imported post

imported post

Got the tracks from Frap. Gonna take the afternoon off work and head up there tommorrow (Friday 5th) at around noon.

Anyone that can tag along can come. Frap might come. Meet at Tim Hortons Lougheed near Falcon. Let me know if you want to tag along. It will be a fast paced ride as I have to get home by 5.

Lev
 

motorambler

New member
imported post

imported post

Franhoser, that sounds good. I have a few things to do at 6pm so I have to be back in PoCo by 4:30-ish.
 

Farp

Active member
imported post

imported post

I'm not gonna make it tomorrow; have a good ride and post up to let us know how it went.

John
 
F

franhoser

Guest
imported post

imported post

yup. i just got to grab some lunch so i'll be inside getting a sandwich, so you canbe late if you don't need to eat.
 

motorambler

New member
imported post

imported post

I'll be there at noon. If ya wanna head out earlier than noon let me know -- I'm ready to go :dude:
 

motorambler

New member
imported post

imported post

Absolute killer ride today -- best ride I've had up there yet! Franhoser & I did some extra exploring which ended up being the best part of the day. The huge bogs reminded me of the mud bath I took at Sylvester a few weeks ago.

OTG, I was stoked to make it all the way up that real steep rocky ascent that no one but you could climb a few weeks ago :hb:

Not a lot of photos were taken today cuz we were having way too much fun.

Franhoser sideways descent

2010_03_05_eagle_ridge_trails.jpg


More pics here
 
F

franhoser

Guest
imported post

imported post

Yeah I was fairly surprised at the level of difficulty up there. Too bad it took 2 years or working at the bottom of the hill to figure out that I was challenging riding up here within 5 min.

I will be heading back and making this a summer after work riding area for myself.

I should've changed my rear tire. 2500km's of pounding Bajasand/rock did not leave me much tread left. It was worse than having deathwings.

I'm getting more impressed by the MT43 tires that Art had on, but I still think trials tires on dirt bikes looks ugly so I won't put it on, even thought I have one in my garage sitting there.
 

Farp

Active member
imported post

imported post

Hey Lev, When I went up Eagle Ridge a couple of weeks ago I had a brand new MT21 on the rear wheel. OTG and Motorambler were using the MT43 and when I saw how it performed I bought one and put it on my bike. It is a lot better than the MT21. Put an MT43 on your bike and you wont be sorry. As far as looks go - it's a dirt bike WTF???? Who cares what it looks like!

John
 

icanpopawheeli

New member
imported post

imported post

Another gorgeous day up there today, we were hiking as my bike needs some work to get it back on the road again. Ended up hiking from under the powerlines to one trail to another called LungBuster that met up with the road. Cheeko? How you doing its me.
I couldn't believe the mountain bikers up there, two 16 year old who riding with shorts and tshirt, but proper helmet and spine guards. No other body armout at all, despite one of them having had knee surgery twice (at 15!), and other permanent screwups to his legs. Even with two surgeries the invincible feeling is there, but watching those guys on crazy rails, planks jump and gain that air is amazing. I had to admit I was jealous of their ability.
Yet on the way down from massage therapy we were passed by this 8 wheeled atv with search and rescue. Another mtb'r, likely not the same two, had a serious injury and the stretchers were headed up the trail by hiking to collect him. They figured he would be back down at plateau blvd by midnight! Wish I could've helped.
I'm looking forward to going up by bike, now that I have found the secret entrance to the "road", aka several KM of something resembling river bed.
 
Top