Which one is better?

Phoenix

New member
imported post

imported post

Tibarus wrote:




I'm looking for one that will never whine or complain at me on longer stretches on the open highway, with gear loaded onto the back (sleeping bag, clothing bag, tent maybe), but is still nimble enough to hit the unmarked service trails and fire roads.

I'm liking the outward performance of the WR... 80 mpg as a standard is kinda nice too. But how will it last?



Unmarked service trails and fire roads plus gear any KLR650 or DR650 will do that..forever.
 
G

Guest

Guest
imported post

imported post

How bout I sum it up like this, I wanna be able to keep up with my good friend Shewolf, since she's probably the main person I'll be Offroad riding with.
 

North

Active member
imported post

imported post

I thought long hard about the perfect do-it-all Dualsport Bike. I spent a lot time doing my research. Thousands died and Impires fell.

To make a long story short, I got a Husky 610. I wanted a Bike to blast around town on, have fun off road on and to be able to it ride on the hiway

The DRZ 400 was on my list, but the WR250 was not. I did not see it as Dualsport bike that I would take out for a day and put 500 km on. I also thought it's weight was lot for a 250, at 276 lbs. (I like that wr250 has FI.) Hey, my 530 which is 510cc, is 251 lbs. And it is street legal too. The Suzuki DR-Z 400S is 291 lb. The Husky TE 610 is 309 lbs and has more hp than both the wr250and drz400 put together.

Anyways, between the two. I would do what you just did. Test ride both of them and go with the one you like.:tup:
 

DRuZer

Member
imported post

imported post

HI Tib,
welcome to DSBC, in case no one else got around to it.

I would look really hard at the WR250R if I was considering it or the DRZ400.
The motor is more modern (gets more power per cc), its a few pounds lighter, fuel injected, with better suspension (especially the forks). You can adjust the seat height as well, if need be.

Then again, the DRZ is a fine bike: mine has no problem getting 23-25 km per litre (I think thats about 80mpg) and you won't have to rev it as much to get joy, which should translate to more reliability, especially if you intend to do some longer road rides. I know folks with over 40K on the clock, and don't burn a drop of oil. The DRZ owes a lot of its reliability to a fairly low-reving, low compression engine thats completely satisfied on regular gas.

Right now you can get ton's of stuff for the DRZ fairly cheaply, not sure about the Yammy. But there's a price: the suz will probly be a little harder to handle in the teck stuff, and of course, the LOFI (lack of fuel injection). Nothing beats FI when riding from sea level to up above 6000' and back as part of a days ride!

If you are buying new, and are thinking DRZ, you might want to get an SM (with the more modern fork) and find some dirt wheels (sorry, sold'em). There's a place in town blowing out new "last years" sumo models ....

If you aren't sure, there's lots of good used DRZs out there (hint, hint). You could pick one up pretty cheap, ride the wheels of it until you find something more suitable. I don't think I've ever met someone who's been dissapointed with the DRZ (well, maybe one....)

Good luck in your hunt!
Guy
 
G

Guest

Guest
imported post

imported post

North wrote:
I thought long hard about the perfect do-it-all Dualsport Bike. I spent a lot time doing my research. Thousands died and Impires fell.

To make a long story short, I got a Husky 610. I wanted a Bike to blast around town on, have fun off road on and to be able to it ride on the hiway

The DRZ 400 was on my list, but the WR250 was not. I did not see it as Dualsport bike that I would take out for a day and put 500 km on. I also thought it's weight was lot for a 250, at 276 lbs. (I like that wr250 has FI.) Hey, my 530 which is 510cc, is 251 lbs. And it is street legal too. The Suzuki DR-Z 400S is 291 lb. The Husky TE 610 is 309 lbs and has more hp than both the wr250and drz400 put together.

Anyways, between the two. I would do what you just did. Test ride both of them and go with the one you like.:tup:

How easy does the 610 handle the roughest of technical stuff?
 

joker650

Active member
imported post

imported post

North wrote:
I thought long hard about the perfect do-it-all Dualsport Bike. I spent a lot time doing my research. Thousands died and Impires fell.

To make a long story short, I got a Husky 610. I wanted a Bike to blast around town on, have fun off road on and to be able to it ride on the hiway

The DRZ 400 was on my list, but the WR250 was not. I did not see it as Dualsport bike that I would take out for a day and put 500 km on. I also thought it's weight was lot for a 250, at 276 lbs. (I like that wr250 has FI.) Hey, my 530 which is 510cc, is 251 lbs. And it is street legal too. The Suzuki DR-Z 400S is 291 lb. The Husky TE 610 is 309 lbs and has more hp than both the wr250and drz400 put together.

Anyways, between the two. I would do what you just did. Test ride both of them and go with the one you like.:tup:


Yeah... what he said



I suppose that if find your choice wasn't quite what u needed u could always buy another bike...Cus that's prety darn fun also:)



.....and welcome to DSBC :tup:
 
G

Guest

Guest
imported post

imported post

joker650 wrote:
North wrote:
I thought long hard about the perfect do-it-all Dualsport Bike. I spent a lot time doing my research. Thousands died and Impires fell.

To make a long story short, I got a Husky 610. I wanted a Bike to blast around town on, have fun off road on and to be able to it ride on the hiway

The DRZ 400 was on my list, but the WR250 was not. I did not see it as Dualsport bike that I would take out for a day and put 500 km on. I also thought it's weight was lot for a 250, at 276 lbs. (I like that wr250 has FI.) Hey, my 530 which is 510cc, is 251 lbs. And it is street legal too. The Suzuki DR-Z 400S is 291 lb. The Husky TE 610 is 309 lbs and has more hp than both the wr250and drz400 put together.

Anyways, between the two. I would do what you just did. Test ride both of them and go with the one you like.:tup:


Yeah... what he said



I suppose that if find your choice wasn't quite what u needed u could always buy another bike...Cus that's prety darn fun also:)



.....and welcome to DSBC :tup:

Problem is, I can only afford ONE new bike at a time lol
 

North

Active member
imported post

imported post

Tibarus wrote:
North wrote:
I thought long hard about the perfect do-it-all Dualsport Bike. I spent a lot time doing my research. Thousands died and Impires fell.

To make a long story short, I got a Husky 610. I wanted a Bike to blast around town on, have fun off road on and to be able to it ride on the hiway

The DRZ 400 was on my list, but the WR250 was not. I did not see it as Dualsport bike that I would take out for a day and put 500 km on. I also thought it's weight was lot for a 250, at 276 lbs. (I like that wr250 has FI.) Hey, my 530 which is 510cc, is 251 lbs. And it is street legal too. The Suzuki DR-Z 400S is 291 lb. The Husky TE 610 is 309 lbs and has more hp than both the wr250and drz400 put together.

Anyways, between the two. I would do what you just did. Test ride both of them and go with the one you like.:tup:

How easy does the 610 handle the roughest of technical stuff?
Not as good as my 530. But it will go everywhere the WR or DRZ will go.
 
G

Guest

Guest
imported post

imported post

joker650 wrote:
I ment that u could sell the first one if u were not happy with it.


Urf.... Thats not something I like doing... You never get back what the bike is worth and... Blah blah blah....

I'm a bit of a collector :)
 
G

Guest

Guest
imported post

imported post

North wrote:
Not as good as my 530. But it will go everywhere the WR or DRZ will go.

Hm.... It'd fill my trust boundary for big bore...
 

FROG950S

New member
imported post

imported post

I would say that a KTM950s would be the perfect choice for you good on long trip and excellent in the trails .My 2cents



Frog :mb:
 
Top