02 Dr650 gas mileage??

drmark

New member
I have a 02 650, the mods are minimal:
Snorkel removed,stock needle shimmed with DJ washer, 145mj and the fuel screw opened up about 1/2 turn, and exhaust header weld ground out and polished.
I got 312 km's out of it after laying it over on it's side to slosh some fuel over to the left side (about 1k out of Lytton!)

I have just been doing pavement @ 110-120kmh.

Took on 19.81L in my 20L tank\312km's= 45mpg
Does this seem about right, I had a 96 650 and i can't recall the mpg.
Thanks.
 

Dr. Love

New member
For a desnorkel bike, that's pretty heavy fuel usage. How come the 145 main? 140 main should be fine.

When I had my DR with somewhat similar setup (140 main and no header grind) I was doing better than 19 km/L over Coquihalla Hwy.
 

drmark

New member
I wanted to richen it up as it's pretty lean from stock (surging etc). I didn't have a 142.5 but I did have a 145.
That snorkel has to stifle it quite a bit and the changes I made sure livened it up, helped with the surging and helped throttle response. By your #'s looks like about 53-54mpg. I may try the 140mj and pick up a 142.5 and experiment with that.

How fast where you traveling on the coq?
 

Dr. Love

New member
I wanted to richen it up as it's pretty lean from stock (surging etc). I didn't have a 142.5 but I did have a 145.
That snorkel has to stifle it quite a bit and the changes I made sure livened it up, helped with the surging and helped throttle response. By your #'s looks like about 53-54mpg. I may try the 140mj and pick up a 142.5 and experiment with that.

How fast where you traveling on the coq?

Average ~110 km/h indicated, rolling on Kenda K270.
 

Buck

Moderator
It does seem low (312 on IMS 20l). My '02 with similar mods got up to 400 on one tankful, mostly highway with some gravel on Kenda 761's while on a trip to Hyder. My newer '03 DR with a Dynojet kit and 160 main, open airbox, FMF Q2, 15T cs sprocket, TKC80's gets around 350 average.
 
Last edited:

Buck

Moderator
Only 3,700 on an '02?? Wow.. Could be the reason... maybe the rings have not seated if you ride it too easy. Mine has 45,000 and runs better than ever. I use full synthetic 10w40, that improves mileage too.
 

drmark

New member
Yeah, it was a pretty good score. 3100k when I bought it last fall for 2800$, and it came with the big tank. It did need a 50$ battery though..........
 

drmark

New member
Was actually really clean, the guy must have been draining the bowl when he stored it. Nice to know you DR is running well with 45k!
 

drmark

New member
If your ever through Merritt with your modded DR I would be interested in comparing it to mine. I have owned a lot of bikes (got eight in the garage right now) and the pipe and jet kit thing has sometimes frustrated me. I had a modded xr650l and a drz400. Both bikes ended up having drivability issues with very dubious gains in power and definite loss in mpg and more noise than I was interested in. People sometimes mistake noise for power. I have a fairly good grasp on jetting and I likely have close to a grand in mainjets, needles and pilots for every kind of keihin and mikuni made in the last 35 years. I put a lot of effort into jetting those two bikes specifically the 650l so it wasn't for a lack of effort. I converted a fuel injected gpz1100 to flatslides with better results.. The thing that most interests me in a pipe for the dr650 is dropping 10+lbs of weight high on the bike.
 

Buck

Moderator
Will do that, drop by that is sometime this summer. I'm not a jetting expert, more trial and error than anything but I noticed satisfying gains in power, better throttle response along with a predictable drop in mileage from running it harder. Most DR owners lug their bikes, probably because it lacks a tach. I like to run it to the rev limiter now and then, that's where the power hides once the breathing is opened up. An FMF Q is light but needs repacking occasionally. I really like the sound too, loud but not obnoxious. Here is a crappy video I made of the sound. Seems to be getting a lot of views. Funny it really is not this loud but my camera seems to amplify the sound! But it was due for a repack! I just bought another DR, a 2008, my fifth one. It will replace this bike.
http://www.youtube.com/user/looseroots?feature=mhsn#p/u/2/BQ4tjFmMA2g
Also, beware of the stock cable operated choke. It tends to stick partly closed causing poor mileage. I replaced it with a carb mounted choke knob on all my bikes.
 

bkoz

Member
I have an 09 that I have owned since new. Totally stock the bike got 45 mpg. With mods similar to you plus a GSXR 750 can my mileage dropped to 41-42mpg. Keep in mind the bike is rode hard. I have since put in a Dynojet kit with an open airbox but have not had a chance to test the mileage (the roll on power is greatly increased though). There are interwebz claims of the DR650 getting over 60 mpg but I think that would be hard to achieve with this bike.
 

250ccforme

Member
Buck, that is quite the RUMBLE! Had the subwoofer on but luckily had the volume downish. YOW! Turned the sub off, too much was shaking. As you said the camera seems to have exaggerated the low end. If it sounded like that for real I imagine it would draw some ire. :)
 

Buck

Moderator
Haha... someone posted it sounds like a helicopter. Yeah its the cameras fault everything rattles off this computer desk..love that sub woofer!! Check my other videos for my 'loud' bikes, DRZ400SM with full Yoshi, KLX250S with FMF and stock Buell XB, all sound obnoxious but in reality are not that bad. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yNeQzMkPRs
 
Last edited:
Top