2009 April - Fraser Lake Meet N Greet

klrnorth

New member
imported post

imported post

Not looking good for him until possibly saturday afternoon at best, he's apparently an adult and has responsibilities unlike myself who just has responsibilities. Do you wanna fill up at the last station just past the northern and put the head down to Houston where we should stop by and razz the DR and steal a beer off him?
 

Kermode_Klr

New member
imported post

imported post

I will keep an eye on Drive BC for any traffic advisory's tomorrow concerning naked international motorcycle riders:tup:

Klrnorth, are you up for a ride this evening? I have uncorked the beast and should be able to get out at 6pm if you are up for some fun. It will be my first ride since the mods and I am wanting to see if power wheelies in 3rd gear are a reality:)

It could be a good warm up for your weekend run and will give you a good reason to clean the DRZ before the trip:hb:
 

klrnorth

New member
imported post

imported post

Love to but I have too much to do here to get ready. Busy, busy. Gotta get weekend work done now to free me up. Can you run out on Sat with the others???
 

sparklr

New member
imported post

imported post

Kermode_Klr wrote:
I will keep an eye on Drive BC for any traffic advisory's tomorrow concerning naked international motorcycle riders:tup:
It might show some slippery sections. Or just call the RCMP, see if they've issued any recent tickets to Streakin KLR's.

:clap:
 

Chuck

New member
imported post

imported post

Ok, it looks like I'mgonna heed some advice and not travel out on Saturday am. Looks like Mr. Proudman and I will be riding out from Terraceon Friday evening. Not sure how far we'll get; perhaps to Houston and overnight there. Or, if the roads are good we may push on. It'll give us a head start for Saturday morning. That way, we won't be too tired from a long highway ride before the fun begins.

Chuck
 

sparklr

New member
imported post

imported post

Good news and drive safe, we'll keep the beers cold and the fire stoked!

:hb:
 

klrnorth

New member
imported post

imported post

Super news, great idea too. Any thoughts on a terrace leave time so we know when to maybe expect you? Looks like the DR will be out of town when we roll through sparklr so we will miss him.

Drive safe guys animals should be the only thing to watch out for since I don't think it gets too frosty until the weeeeee hours.
 

sparklr

New member
imported post

imported post

The weather played in our favour as we mostly enjoyed sunshine, a sprinkle of snow, but no rain. The ride out was a bit chilly in sections as Klrnorth and I left late afternoon (3:30, Mea Culpa) from Terrace Friday and arrived at 9:00ish to trod down to the cabin. The battle with the Anemoi was trumpeted on arrival at the cabin with the warmth of a woodstove and several beverages.

But as the fine Dr. says "road rules" so you'll have to wait for the official literary report from Proudman.


:br:
Many thanks to the Dr. and his lovely wife and daughter for the delicious and much appreciated lunch stop!

:tup:
 
N

Northern Goose

Guest
imported post

imported post

Hey all, from what I hear I am sorry that I was not able to make it out with you guys this time. I also hear that had I been there someone might have had use for my First Aid abilities. (That is why I always ride slow like turtle....until someone else steps up with a Level 3 anyways) hmm perhaps I should change my name to Northern Turtle?...

Well I am glad to hear that you guys made it there and back, with little to no injuries, and that the cabin life, BQQ's, Beef and Beers was worth the ride.

Looking forward to reading the trip report, and I hope someone took pictures.
 

Proudman

Been known to fly
imported post

imported post

Still waiting for the photos. And if I forgot any details, let me know.

What an awesome trip.

SparKLR and KLRnorth braved the cold in a valiant effort to arrive at the Lake in daylight to prepare the Fraser Lake chalet for the group.

Chuck and I had to leave Friday night. The wind was incredible. The good news is that it was a tailwind most of the way. 17 km west of Smithers the wind started coming at us randomly from all points of the compass. It made the decision to overnight in Smithers easier. Luckily Chuck brought ear plugs so we both got a good night’s sleep.

We were able to finish the ride to Fraser Lake in the daylight, which was a major bonus. Note: Riding while trying to hold your GPS in your hand works, but I don’t recommend it.

We arrived early enough to join KLRnorth and SparKLR for a trip around Fraser Lake and beyond. We were doing well until I wiped out on a severely rutted curious mixture of soft and hard sand and gravel. Obviously my off highway skills have not improved over the winter. The good news is that there were no broken bones and no one else wiped out.

We returned to the cabin after picking up supplies. The rest of the day was spent eating, lounging, eating more, and just being totally laid back and enjoying the view and great ambience.

A highlight of the evening was DrBike’s arrival.

Excellent company.

And the wildlife was spectacular. A coyote, three kinds of deer, swans, and hundreds of geese flying overhead in dozens of huge Vs in the evening. And on moose, but it was dead in the ditch, so I don’t know if we can count it.

Sunday we had to head back west, stopping in Houston for a truly awesome lunch prepared by DrBike’s wife and daughter.

I was left wishing that I had a helmet camera. The scenery was all remarkable, but every now and then all of the guys were silhouetted against mountainous vistas, with the snowy peaks lit up like crystals.

If you ever have the chance, this is a great trip.

Many thanks SparKLR for your terrefic hospitality.
 

sparklr

New member
imported post

imported post

Well I'm not terribly camera happy so I only managed a few shots. Of course seems Hangover Sunrises and Java seem to be a prevalent theme.
 

sparklr

New member
imported post

imported post

Seven Sisters in the background. Posers are Chuck, Proudman and klrnorth. This was on the way home after lunch at the Dr's. Majestic scenery all the way, but to stop for pics all the time, nah, Helmet Cams! Still working on that unfortunate dilemma. BC is as they say Beautiful, I guess you have to see it for yourself.

 

Chuck

New member
imported post

imported post

Sorry for the delay in getting the photos uploaded.

Thank you to all for a great weekend, expecially SPARKLR for organizing it and for having us to the cabin, and to Dr. Bike for a great lunch on the way home!









Thanks for the scenic route around Fraser Lake, but some of us need better roadways! The sandy ruts were difficult to navigate! Thankfully nobody was hurt.



Apres-Ride was the very much appreciated. ...lunch extended into supper ...which eventually turned into evening...!



No, not that one! The dead ones!!



Does it get any better than this?



Now that's a fire!



Chez Dr. Bike. Thanks so much for the wonderful lunch!!




A quick stop at Seven Sisters on Hwy 16 during the ride home.SPARKLR's in this one.
 
Top