2009 ORCA RUN General Discussion

Cedartree

imported post

imported post

Having a GPS track might takesome of the fun out of this trip, but since there is a spot on my bars that usually holds such a device...

I'm not sure that I'll be able to get the GPS tracks for for the B loop loaded on my Garmin GPSmap 60before we leave thursday after work, so is there much chance of being able to getdata from one of the organizers/volunteers on friday?

From past experience at mountain bike events, the volunteers are usually pretty busy with trying to herd the cats and put out fires, figuratively speaking, of course.

I'll bring my cable just in case.

Thanks

L

Lonewolf

imported post

imported post

Cedartree wrote:
Having a GPS track might takesome of the fun out of this trip, but since there is a spot on my bars that usually holds such a device...

I'm not sure that I'll be able to get the GPS tracks for for the B loop loaded on my Garmin GPSmap 60before we leave thursday after work, so is there much chance of being able to getdata from one of the organizers/volunteers on friday?

From past experience at mountain bike events, the volunteers are usually pretty busy with trying to herd the cats and put out fires, figuratively speaking, of course.

I'll bring my cable just in case.

Thanks

If nothing else I will have my laptop with mapsource and maps/tracks at the event.

claw

imported post

imported post

i was thinking if some one had a break down it would be good to point them in the right direction.if i get the loop loaded thats great if not no big deal.:hb:

imported post

imported post

How bout we meet at 10:30am sharp on the beach just before the causeway begins. I remember there plenty of open area there. I can't remember if there is room to park along the causeway anywhere.

voyageur_powers

imported post

imported post

I was searching for the 2009 Route Maps. Are they up anywhere for printing. Tonight is my last night for printing them.

Thanks in advance, Jim

sueandal

imported post

imported post

Buck wrote:
Local rider DON HATTON,  the only Canuck to enter this year, has offered to set up a display of his Dakar prepared KTM and speak about his experience in the rally. He will answer your questions as well. :tup:
:clap::clap:i just HAVE to get that into the video!:clap::clap: the orca just keeps getting better ! :clap::clap:and sue thought i was excited before!:clap::clap:

Good 350R

imported post

imported post

We also are looking for route maps - no emails received. Tonight is our last time to prepare, too. Has anyone received theirs yet? Looking for C route. Thanks.

pittiepride

imported post

imported post

So we are totally new at this whole thing, looked at the maps, roll chart stuff and am totally clueless at how to read maps or the roll charts. Anyone giving a tutorial on how to keep safe, keep from getting lost etc on Friday night? Hopefully we aren't the only ones that are clueless...
kara and ken

voyageur_powers

imported post

imported post

Hi,
You won't be the only ones needing assistance. There will be many riders/groups that know where they are going and will gladly take other riders with them.

I unfortunately am noticing a pattern in this thread. It appears that it is only the DR riders that are allowed to reply to this thread.
:TTT::TTT:

Good 350R

imported post

imported post

Sounds great, we will look for you at the first available piece of sand. Don't wait too long for us ( say 10:30- 10:35 at the latest ). If we don't make it by then, it's the 12:00 ferry for sure .

:bliss:

Loz

imported post

imported post

We will be holding a riders briefing at 8.30 am saturday. If you plan to use the roll charts bring sticky tape and scissors.

Upstock

imported post

imported post

Alright two days left and it's gonna be on like Donkey Kong! There's nothing better than 150+ people going out for a ride.:hb:

imported post

imported post

There will be another meeting point at 9:00 am at Petro Canada at 12th and Columbia in New West then catch with the other guys at 9:30 by River Road!

Cheers! BO

cslater

imported post

imported post

Hey does anyone have a guesstimate on how long it will take to ride from Victoria to the camp site? I am heading out there Saturday morning and have never been to that neck of the woods so want to leave myself plenty of time to get there for the 8:30am start.

Thanks,
Chris

Buck

imported post

imported post

Everyone is getting so excited they are starting new topics....:dr:

But itbecomes impossible to follow! :gaah:

Any questions or comments or suggestions should be in this thread so its easier to follow for everyone.

Other threads will bemergedhere. If your topic has vanished, look back a few messages here and you'll find it.

Buck

imported post

imported post

cslater wrote:
Hey does anyone have a guesstimate on how long it will take to ride from Victoria to the camp site? I am heading out there Saturday morning and have never been to that neck of the woods so want to leave myself plenty of time to get there for the 8:30am start.

Thanks,
Chris
About 45 minutes. Be there by 7:30 if you want a muffin, fruit and Serious Coffee!

DRuZer

imported post

imported post

Poo.

I have to miss this year's ride. I trust it will be an awesome event, like the last one.

Ah well, I'll try again next year.

Guy

Bulldog

imported post

imported post

Will be riding down from Nanaimo on Saturday morning, I alsowas wondering about how long to get to the campground? Also if anyone is heading down at the sametime and want company to ride with, PM me and we can go from there.

B-Dog

eagleguy

imported post

imported post

just punched it in to streets & trips. It is 45 miles to the Lake, they figure 1 hr.you then have to find the camp ground.