Big Thanks Fall Noob Ride 2014

twisted-hog

I'd like to send out a big thank you also, i had a great time as a newbie on the C route.
I guess we must have screwed around too much cause we didn't get back till almost 3:30pm.
Was a fun 5 hours on the route trying to find those tiny yellow cards and we only had to back track twice.

On a side note what is the trail etiquette with passing on 2 track?
I had the shite scared out of me twice when some guys roared by, if I had wandered over to dodge a rock, pot hole or bear shite I think it would have been ugly.

Thanks Steve.

04klr

as a 3X Klr owner, I resemble that comment.

winch (w/front & rear mount), hatchet, shovel, rope, tie downs. you could build a klR outta the stuff hanging on this thing. (more spent on bling than the cost of a kLr)

trail etiquette? As this isn't a race, unless you refused to yield to the group or solo rider (as in, yes I see you there I'll slow/pull over a bit to let you pass as clearly you are going faster than me, party on, have great ride,) then there should be no need for any banzai passing on the trail, in either direction. That said, if I were to come up on a slower (and having a great time) rider who knew I was there yet refused to let me by, after a spell of patiently waiting I may well banzai past him/her. (OK, I would). If on a bike or in a car everyone should always ride their own pace.
And while on the milk crate. Horses. It's a minute out of your day, just stop. Even shut the bike off, relax, enjoy the moment it will just take a second or two then you can carry on. You are building huge "hey dirt bikers ain't so bad" points, you won't freak the horse out, and it gives you a minute to enjoy the scenery while they all ride past with smiles on. Itsa win/win. Party on Garth! (get it, Garth, as in Garth Brooks, horse, Cowboy, Garth. Go ahead don't laugh, I kill me)
stepping offa the crate now.

Last edited:
That there's a working GS ... not the perfectly spotless, latte-sippin' at Starbucks, the-entire-contents-of-the-Touratech-and-PIAA-parts-catalogues, kind ... :clap:

twisted-hog

04klr;128684 trail etiquette? As this isn't a race said:
banzai past him/her. (OK, I would). If on a bike or in a car everyone should always ride their own pace.
[/FONT]

I was already on the right side of the 2 track when I was passed. Now these guys came up so fast I didn't have time to know they were there to even try and be a dick and not let them by. But what I am saying is there were times when I used the whole 2 tracks when coming upon terrain I didn't want to subject my front tire to.
So if I had moved over to the other track we would have both gone down.
Am I wrong or should they have made their presence known and that they intented to pass with a beep of the horn or something :confused:
I'm just asking, not trying to start an inquistion, but I do want to be safe and come back home with myself and bike unscathed :D

skidmark43

Administrator / BFF in the blue jacket
You're not wrong.
It is the faster / passing rider's responsibility to make a clean pass & not be a dick.
Having said that, a very few expert riders are 'so good / smooth' that they may not appreciate the danger / discomfort caused a passed rider... nevertheless shame on them.
Regrets that you had an unpleasant experience.
m

I was already on the right side of the 2 track when I was passed. Now these guys came up so fast I didn't have time to know they were there to even try and be a dick and not let them by. But what I am saying is there were times when I used the whole 2 tracks when coming upon terrain I didn't want to subject my front tire to.
Am I wrong or should they have made their presence known and that they intented to pass with a beep of the horn or something :confused:
I'm just asking, not trying to start an inquistion, but I do want to be safe and come back home with myself and bike unscathed :D

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member

The dangers of off road riding, first of all you must take responsibility for your own actions. That also includes the guy passing you.
If you are on a big 990 on a two track, generally you will be moving pretty slow (but not always), the guy behind you knows what he is doing, at least we have to hope so. When on a big ride there will be lots of other users on the trail, etiquette dictates, you are the slower rider and must let the faster guys pass. Its up to you to know you are holding up faster riders. Making their presence know is a courtesy, but you may not have heard them coming up? The guys riding up behind you will have already looked long ahead to see if they can pass, your 990 is not very nimble and you will not be making any fast moves that would startle a dirt biker with any experience. Most on smaller bikes dont have horns or don't have horns that work. We preach stealth and quite pipes so the chances of hearing them are becoming slimmer, so it will be up to you to know the conditions of the trail and that would include the other riders in front and behind you.

Two track is like the highway, you only get one to drive in at a time, I recommend you stay right and if you need to cross to the left make sure its clear (no one passing you)

As your riding skills improve your speed will increase, please be aware that the big duallys stop like a freight train, long and straight (your abs won't help) I watched a bunch of guys this weekend carry a pretty fast pace along the old FSR, a pace I have learned the hard way is "TOO FAST" so close to town.

I bet you didnt think riding a dual sport bike came with a bunch of new rules to learn?

Tom

04klr

Mr Hog please don't get "twisted" as there was by no means any thought of finger pointing or hinting of wrong doing, you are correct in your reply. The passing rider should certainly make his presence known ("as in, yes I see you there") before passing by, we all want to end the day sitting on a tailgate with a beer and a laugh.

but,, should a person decide to be a "dick" and block pass, they best not do it if there is any mud around or school may soon be in session. juuust kidding.

twisted-hog

Mr Hog please don't get "twisted"

Don't get my posts wrong I'm not upset (twisted) at all I had a blast the whole time. I even learned after getting passed by watching them it's easier to take those cross ditches with speed and a blip of the throttle.

The dangers of off road riding, first of all you must take responsibility for your own actions. That also includes the guy passing you.
If you are on a big 990 on a two track, generally you will be moving pretty slow (but not always), the guy behind you knows what he is doing, at least we have to hope so. When on a big ride there will be lots of other users on the trail, etiquette dictates, you are the slower rider and must let the faster guys pass. Its up to you to know you are holding up faster riders. Making their presence know is a courtesy, but you may not have heard them coming up? The guys riding up behind you will have already looked long ahead to see if they can pass, your 990 is not very nimble and you will not be making any fast moves that would startle a dirt biker with any experience. Most on smaller bikes dont have horns or don't have horns that work. We preach stealth and quite pipes so the chances of hearing them are becoming slimmer, so it will be up to you to know the conditions of the trail and that would include the other riders in front and behind you.

Two track is like the highway, you only get one to drive in at a time, I recommend you stay right and if you need to cross to the left make sure its clear (no one passing you)

As your riding skills improve your speed will increase, please be aware that the big duallys stop like a freight train, long and straight (your abs won't help) I watched a bunch of guys this weekend carry a pretty fast pace along the old FSR, a pace I have learned the hard way is "TOO FAST" so close to town.

I bet you didnt think riding a dual sport bike came with a bunch of new rules to learn?

Tom
Yes, I'm learning as I go.
Finding out riding off road there are more rules, I have to be even more aware of my surroundings and trail/road conditions and other users on the trail.

Bloodly head is on a swivel :spl:

Oh and I even noticed on this ride my speed was increasing during the ride as I got more comfortable on this new to me bike.
Might be able to do the same ride in under 5 hours next time :tup:

Steve

tomcycle

Staff member
Don't get my posts wrong I'm not upset (twisted) at all I had a blast the whole time. I even learned after getting passed by watching them it's easier to take those cross ditches with speed and a blip of the throttle.

Yes, I'm learning as I go.
Finding out riding off road there are more rules, I have to be even more aware of my surroundings and trail/road conditions and other users on the trail.

Bloodly head is on a swivel :spl:

Oh and I even noticed on this ride my speed was increasing during the ride as I got more comfortable on this new to me bike.
Might be able to do the same ride in under 5 hours next time :tup:

Steve

And now you know why we call it the NoOBeE Ride, we all learn something New

jonnyharley

Thanks for the NoOBeE ride on sunday. Its was awesome. New friends and tons of fun. Where can I get a detailed map of the trails and riding area at Tamahi? I would love to explore more and work my way up to the A loop for next year.

Thanks
jonnyharley

tomcycle

Staff member
Thanks for the NoOBeE ride on sunday. Its was awesome. New friends and tons of fun. Where can I get a detailed map of the trails and riding area at Tamahi? I would love to explore more and work my way up to the A loop for next year.

Thanks
jonnyharley

go to facebook, you do not have to a facebook user

https://www.facebook.com/tamihichipmunk

then go to the NOTES tab "click" find the note "Maps and GPS of the Trails at Tamihi"

Open this and you will find links to the KMZ (google earth) files for most of the trails
The KMZ files can be converted to gpx if you want to load into your gps, but its a great time waster just wondering around on google earth.

Tom

Cultusking

The more experienced the rider the better you are at "reading" both the terrain and people you are over-taking or coming up on. Some riders are very fast and its always best just to stick to what you are doing and the faster guys will make their way passed as required.
Some of the guys out riding on Sunday are also racers who don't really consider passing someone at speed is any sort of concern, unless the person being passed panicked or otherwise did something outside the realm of off-road riding.
The faster riders also jostle for position among themselves as the opportunity arises, it's all part of riding.
As it is for the road, maintain your course and dont worry what the faster, often more experienced riders/ drivers are doing, they are the least of your worries! i.e rocks, washouts, mud etc...

twisted-hog

Skidmarks

Skidmarks

Regrets that you had an unpleasant experience.
m

I may have said in my comments I had the shite scared out of me, but when i checked later there were no skidmarks left :p

The whole day was such a joy that this didn't leave a lasting mark "unpleasant experience" in my memory for the day.
Only a lesson learned to be more alert and aware.
Just because i'm out bumping alone with my riding partner down a road in the bush, i may not be the only one out here and especially on an organized ride day, duh.:shoot:

Randual

Well it looks like you had a fine day for this ride! Sorry to miss out this time , but from the pictures and the comments looks & sounds like all had a good time!
I just got back from the "Lodge" at Shining Bank Alberta. A bit of hunting and social time... Great weather, awesome trip!