Planning the 2010 Telkwa Pass Trip

sparklr

New member
imported post

imported post

The Lava Lake campground perhaps could be the over nighter for Day 1, seems a very good option if needed. Moving the date up to coincide with Crabfest could be entertaining, the pass, this year should be doable by then but leaves less room for planning. The trip from Terrace to Kitsault was somewhere around 3 hours leisurely.

If Mitten is not passable then take the Kitwanga backroad to Hazelton. This more than likely be Day 2, thus leaving any of the following, Lava Lake, Gingolx or Kitsault would merit at least a lunch break at K'san, thus showcasing it at the same time.
 

bchunter

Member
imported post

imported post

Personally, I think we should leave the time in August as this is a very beuatiful time of year. My thought is that iof we are going to change the date we might want to push it to either side of teh Loose Screw if that works for others, but I will have to know ASAP as it is VERY hard to book the group site at Tyee Lake. I am not too sure if the conflict with the Loose Screw date is really a problem though, since I am not too sure how many people will do back to back rides. Personally, I can squeeze one big ride in in the summer, between work and family.

As for the Kitwanga back road, I was thinking of this one as well as a loop, but it is deactivated with a gate and a cross ditch. I will take a look at it when I am out that way next to see if a bike can get around either. I beleive that there is also a bush road / quad trail that will get you around them. I will scout this next Tuesday.

And now for the long waited Mitten FSR update (insert drum role here).......

Oh, gotta run, my coffee is done.

Sorry, couldn't help myself :pAs of last fall the Mitten FSR is 100% passable on a bike. :clap::clap::clap::clap:I spoke with some friends that did it numerous times in a truck. They said it was an adventure in the truck and would not tow a trailer through it, but on a bike it would not be a problem at all. They also said that they were working on the road last year by brushing it, and plan to go all the way through, so I am sure by the time we are thinking of it will be open. With that in mind though, we should still scout it this summer to make sure. I have no problems doing this.

So I say we plan Day 2 from either the Lava Beds or Kitsault, through the Mitten FSR, down the Krispysocks, lunch either at a fishing hole on the Kispiox (I also havea friend that owns a fishing lodge on the Kispiox and we canthink about a provided lunch there)or at Ksan. From here for those that want a straight shot to Telkwa can take the highway, for those that want more dirt can go from 2 Mile to Suskwa FSR to Blunt FSR to Telkwa High Road then back to Telkwa.

I am very happy with this plan and I think it will be a great mix of high speed FSR with some quad trails, and the pass route which will challenge some. It is good to get the pass done on teh first day as that will be the most techinal part of the trip.

Wubba Wubba I can feel the start of the track laying fast approaching. :cool:
 

2Trider

New member
imported post

imported post

"I am not too sure if the conflict with the Loose Screw date is really a problem though, since I am not too sure how many people will do back to back rides. Personally, I can squeeze one big ride in in the summer, between work and family."

I think that sums it up ...because of the serious commitment to go North it will not matter the date or conflicts. I just figure this is the best time to ride the north. not to early not to late since after mid August the weather can go downhill fast.

Besides the following weekend I may want to venture down to Alberta and do Extinction
4348138221_6a259aacd8.jpg


:clap:
 

04klr

Well-known member
imported post

imported post

my conflict arrises due to my hands on involvement with the Loose Screw.

Don't spend too much time thinking of changing your dates, you'll never be able to fit everyones schedule, it's your ride have it when YOU want

My first northern trip was a30day 15thou km adventure, hit all the likely suspects over most of the far north, 2nd trip 9thou in around 11 days (can't remember), I can wholeheartedly endorse any travels "Up north", and the Telkwa pass will get done.
 

bchunter

Member
imported post

imported post

Cool. Then the dates stay the same.

All we need is to hear from Kitsault and then this will be pretty much done, except for the smaller points that we can work out in person in the next couple of months.

Thanks guys.
 

sparklr

New member
imported post

imported post

Just an FYI, I don't propose changing the date(s) of our event, merely offering that this year the Gingolyx Crabfest is the July 2/3 weekend. Could probably be a pre-cursor to the main event for some if interested. As it stands now I haven't been able to determine this years' performer line-up.

As of now I have not been successful in making contact with the owner of Kitsault. I appreciate the fact that he is a busy man and patience is a virtue. I am trying to contact local personnel at Kitsault for some assistance.

In saying that we should entertain the thought of either Lakelse or Lava Lake being the immediate alternate and start making those preparations sooner than later. I would be smart to get a poster made up as soon as we nail down the basics. Who has some artistic experience?

Is that fishing lodge the Claw Lodge?

Sending U a PM Jim.
 

bchunter

Member
imported post

imported post

I think that the Lava Beds Park would be a good location over Lakelse due to the fact that we are planning to go over the Mitten on Day 2. Plus the lava fields are really cool for those that have never seen them. It would be nice to see if they have a group site or if we have to reserve individual sites.

And I can make up the poster. I have the computer programs to make it so and some friends in the printing business here. So once we are all organized, I will do the poster and mail some to you Mika, and others that want some, for distribution as seen fit.

And the resort is the Bear Claw, but it is a private resort and I highly doubt we would be able to stay there for any length of time, as beautiful as it is. I might be able to organize a coffee there, as that would be about the time that we would be rolling through there. Coffee there and lunch at Ksan?
 

sparklr

New member
imported post

imported post

As I had suggested, the owner of Kitsault is a very busy man and a humanitarian also. This article confirms that he has envisioned other major and commendable services in regards to the use of Kitsault: Heaven on Earth.

http://www.terracedaily.ca/show5559a/HAITI_DISASTER_SPURNS_1ST_RESPONSE_COMMUNITY_PLAN__KITSAULT

With this in mind, I would imagine that Kitsault regrettably won't be an option for us, so it is time to move on to alternate locations.
 

bchunter

Member
imported post

imported post

After reading that, I agree, Kitsault is out.

I looked at the Lava Beds park and it said that it was first come, first serve, with no reservations. I am not sure that we want to risk this, especially if we are going with a larger group. If it is just a couple of guys, then I would say let's risk it and if all else fails, I have some friends that we can crash on their lawn (yes, I do have friends in low places :)

I know we can reserve at Lakelse.

I guess it comes down to what we want to do for Day 2. Mitten? Loops around Terrace? Side shoots off the hwy back to Telkwa? Or even back through the pass?

in my opinion, Lakelse will be the safe bet for the stay at the end of Day 1. What can we fill day 2 with ?????????

Thanks Mika.

We can always stay in the Walmart parking lot :bliss::bliss::bliss:
 

2Trider

New member
imported post

imported post

Does lava Beds have a open camping area or is it just 16 sites period
Having facilities is preferable...showers toilets or the ability to accomodate such (we can be creative here) in a field

I doubt we will have any pavement burners for Sunday...you come all this way to ride ...you ride the good stuff:p

Now Lakelse is looking real good because.....

Being real close (say 15min) to Terrace for Sat night offers riders seeking more comfort to easily access it without being left out of the bs camp festivities. Plus everyone could ride into Terrace for a Sat eve. meal.
Now if we use Lakelse does that make day 2 mileage to much????
Lakelse to the Lava Fields and Mitten to Kispiox to 2 mile to Telkwa should be day 2 no question...but what is the mileage and time to do that route approx. with no options included???

Any other field/camp options just to the north of Terrace within 15 min.(just to knock out some mileage on Sat)??
 

sparklr

New member
imported post

imported post

The Lava Lake campground is just sites. There is also Ferry Island Campground right as you enter into Terrace, that campground is not my preference as it is situated right off the highway, but is very convenient.

Lakelse Lake I believe has many options and a waterfront shower and the Lake itself for those who don't like being DIRTY! There is a Hotsprings resort that has lounge, restaurant and rooms within 2 minutes of the campground, more or less 20 minutes staggering distance. However, I'm not sure yet whether they will be open this year for business. Something that needs looking into. Nice way to wind down with a hot dip etc.! There are also lakeside cabins available for rent.

Further up the road, perhaps 15 minutes is the Kitimat Forest Service Campsite. My preference as it has ample room and well covered by trees to ward off the wet stuff. No reservations, no wardens, just outdoor livin'!

The Telkwa Pass should be 4-5 hours max. Option here is for those that had enough is to head via 20 minutes of highway to the Lake, another 20 minutes to the FSR site.
For the diehards, if possible take the Whitebottom to Onion Lake route somewhat previously mentioned. Once at Onion Lake you hop the highway, follow the FSR to the Forest Service sites. You are roughly 30 minutes from Terrace. If the Hotsprings is open, breakfast would be 15 minutes away and 5 minutes from either spot at Lakelse Lake. Hotsprings to Terrace is 15 minutes.



This is the Forest Service campsite looking from the bridge. The two trees across is the opening. Although it doesn't appear to be much, there are KLR friendly trails in the densely treed area linking many possible camping sites. What stokes me about this, is you can unload, set up camp and still get in an awesome evening blast if you still desire the thrill! Again, from here to Terrace is about half an hour.

From Terrace to Old Hazelton, I guesstimate with some fuel and Oooh Aaah stops would be 5-6 hours and 1.5 of that being Assfelt time.
 

2Trider

New member
imported post

imported post

Lakelse is sounding to be the prefered choice to me with the other anementies close by...hot springs, food, cabins, showers, lake. hummm can it get any better:clap:
and get to support a local bus.;)

I don't think we need any trails within the camp area ....once riders make it to the campground ...showers, beers, food and tall stories will be in order. We will make Sat long enough with the options getting tossed in.

Keep working it guy's:clap:

1 month and counting down for me:clap:...get those trails it top shape now:p
 

sparklr

New member
imported post

imported post

Some shots and adventures available from the Forest Service campsite.



Looking the other way off the bridge.



Near the end of Kitimat FSR.




From the campsite to nowhere.



Up the gated side of the Kitimat, didn't manage to get to the end of this road but it was fun.

Just a teaser of options. I must admit though that I emote a lot of Bias towards this option, but you can't blame a guy for trying!

:hb:
 

bchunter

Member
imported post

imported post

You know what Mika, you da man with the west experience. What you say will be the best option. I am in total aggreeance that we should camp in that Lakelse country, and you know the best best sites.

And again I forgot that there might be some that would prefer a room instead of camping. With this in mind, this area is the best idea as it is a short rip to Terrace or Kitimat for those that want a room.

Hey Mika, your guesstimate of 4 - 5 hrs to Hazelton from Terrace, I am guessing that that is through the Mitten correct? That is not to bad at all.

As a preliminary, I suggest we lock Day 2 down as this:

Lakelse area - Terrace - Lava Fields - Nass - Mitten FSR - Kispiox (possible Bear Claw) - Ksan - 2 Mile - Suskwa - Blunt - Telkwa High Road - Telkwa

We can ground truth this in the summer to see how long it will actually take and can amend if needed.

Your guys thoughts?
 

Kitimat KLR

New member
imported post

imported post

Stopped at the Hot Springs to ask what they have: Bar, ~20 rooms, bar, food, bar.. They could allow (free) camping "onsite" but no services and no fires (due to hay field). RV but no hook-ups. They have a small pool open (think <tub>;) and couldn't say if the main hot spring pool(s) would be open by August (it is closed/shutdown now)

The best option could beLake Else Provicial Park Campground - can load up necessities in Terrace & set up camp ...but no bikes blasting around - it's a bit too controlled there - probably have to book

Ferry Island in Terrace is a possibility - I think there's a large area in the middle that could be interesting for a group

At Williams Creek, where it crosses the Old Lake Else road there is a "Church" group campground ...not camping but they have a couple of buildings, kitchenand dorms etc ...may be worth considering ...but probably not a place for a "party"

As for (tent) camping in general,everywhere around here is full of bears (blacks & grizzlies) ...not my favourite thought (Bush Camping=fast food for bears in a ziplok bag)

Day 2: Anyone wanting an "early morning blast" on Day 2 could run up (1)Kitimat River (2) Williams Creek; ...then meet up somewhere for a run up to Aiyansh - Cranberry - Kispiox. Anyone wanting to split could head north on Hwy 37 (Hyder/Yukon etc) otherwise meet up at Hazelton ...back to Terrace or on to Smithers/Telkwa (via FSR, trails & backroads) ...from Telkwa there's a myriad FSR's to Houston, the Lakes (Takysie), Burns Lake, Vanderhoof ...probably even PG (?) ....I guess this is now Day 3 or 4 :D

A Day 1 detour could be up Trapline

Are we thinking of hauling tents and gear on the bikes through the pass. I've never been through the pass. Would it be too much? Obviously lifewould beeasier without the load!

Terrace to Aiyansh is ~100km (2hrs with stops) ongood paved road (but it's a blast!). Cranberry Connector to Hwy 37 is probably 1.5-2hrs (wilderness road - very dusty, potholes, probably poorly graded and some nasty bends near the end)

From Hwy 37-Cranberry Jct to Mitten Main (or similar) could be another 2-3 hours to Old Hazelton (excellent campground at Ksan) ...as an option we could wrap up here?

Actually we should think of Day 1The Arrival - meet & greet, Day 2 - The Passand Day3 - Closing the Loop

Ahhh...it was good to get out today ...if a little chilly & damp :TTT: ...where to on Sunday?

Anyone know how to set up a "communal photo gallery" in DSBC? I have my personal one but cant see how to set up so anyone can add photos?
 

2Trider

New member
imported post

imported post

keep working it guy's ...I think we are getting there


Bush Camping=fast food for bears in a ziplok bag
:f:

:clap::D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Good one

but something that needs to be takin seriously

Talkin with Warren C and he has some ideas for optional routeing as well

Lots of exploring will be in order
:clap:
 

sparklr

New member
imported post

imported post

Stop it with the Bear Scare stuff. It's BC, they're like dogs up here. It's also common knowledge that bears only like healthy subjects and Brits. That makes me safe and you Bait.

:mb:

"(Bush Camping=fast food for bears in a ziplok bag)". Still was worth a:woohoo::woohoo:
 

bchunter

Member
imported post

imported post

Kitimat KLR wrote:
[quoteFrom Hwy 37-Cranberry Jct to Mitten Main (or similar) could be another 2-3 hours to Old Hazelton (excellent campground at Ksan) ...as an option we could wrap up here?

Actually we should think of Day 1 The Arrival - meet & greet, Day 2 - The Pass and Day 3  - Closing the Loop[/quote]

Good way of looking at and naming the days. Good point on the wrap up option, that just might work. Have lunch in Hazelton and for those that want to go back to Terrace can head off and those that want to continue to Telkwa can do the 2 Mile loop. I think this will work out great. I can plan the Hazelton lunch location if others think this will work.

I think that for a camping site in on the Terrace side, and any extra trails that will be needed or wanted after the pass, you Terrace / Kitimat fold should make an executive decision and make it so. We will be happy with your local knowledge and decision.

Again, all I can say is thanks for all the help and input. This is going to be a fun ride.

As for bears, my bear spray sends out five 400 grains hunks of hot lead love.
 

Kitimat KLR

New member
imported post

imported post

bchunter wrote: ....As for bears, my bear spray sends out five 400 grains hunks of hot lead love.[/quote]
...so if I sleep with you and run faster than Mika I'll be ok?
 
Top