• Welcome to new DualSportBC Forum!
    To Log in on new forum you will need to reset your password first using "Log in" --> "Forgot your password?"
    Sorry for the inconvenience caused, but we trust it's a one time deal.
    If you encounter any issues please contact us at [email protected]

Squamish bound for Monday - Indian Arm and Norton Lake

Planning a trip out to Indian Arm tomorrow morning. Maybe a poke around Norton Lake too. Will fill the pony up at the Chief gas station at 10 am. Riding a CRF250L.

filterx

Ya haven't been up to Norton our out to Indian Arm for a few years so ya I'd ile to see some pics and IMO the weaher is PERFECT today last weeks monsoons :)

Great ride today up to Indian Arm and almost to Norton Lake. Lots of running water on the road from the rains but passable. Was by myself and no GPS so turned around about 7K mark heading to Norton Lake. Ran into a trio of DualsportBC riders who I met in Vernon last week. Also out enjoying the perfect weather. Will attempt Norton lake next time if riding with others. Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_20200928_121746.jpg
    IMG_20200928_121746.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20200928_115233.jpg
    IMG_20200928_115233.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20200928_112537.jpg
    IMG_20200928_112537.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20200928_103814.jpg
    IMG_20200928_103814.jpg
    987.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20200928_103215.jpg
    IMG_20200928_103215.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20200928_103240.jpg
    IMG_20200928_103240.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20200928_105845.jpg
    IMG_20200928_105845.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
Nice trip, Bruce!! The only upside to being stuck in a hospital bed is lots of time to plan and do map recces for future trips. Reports like yours help pass the time too.

I have been meaning to get up to Indian Arm again - went once a few years ago and enjoyed it. I’m thinking it be a fun direction alternative loop to In-Shuck-ch (W Harry/E Lillooet) to go West on 99 and then off-road at Squamish to do Indian Arm. Then home for you and a bit later in Surrey, home for me.

I’d need to overnight camp somewhere near the tail end of In-shuck (probably Twin One Creek at the North east side of Lilooet Lake). Then I’d meet you for breakfast in Squamish early on my Day 2.

Let me know if that appeals to you.

Hey Daniel, Yes the trip is a go for me. Am available most weekdays. Now, what this... stuck in a hospital bed. Not the foot injury is it?

Hey Daniel, Yes the trip is a go for me. Am available most weekdays. Now, what this... stuck in a hospital bed. Not the foot injury is it?

No, buddy, I wish it was only the foot. That’s a pain level I could work with, and now try thankfully, all healed up. I got one, then a couple says later, another kidney stone. Taking forever to move, and am on pain drugs strong enough to likely get the attention of a Sinoloa cartel chemist.

Just glad this all happened after my solo trip up In-Shuck-ch, and not during. That would have been interesting, for sure.

Let’s stay in touch, and when I have concrete dates, I’ll reach out. Having more folks along would be great, too. Bike is already turned around (new fluids and filters, inspection, etc.) - I got that done the day after I got back and before this all hit. Just pack and go.

Next Mon/Tue look good weather wise, so that’s what I’m roughly targeting, as Mrs CM works Wed - Sunday and I need to look after the mini-Maximi.

Thanks again for the great report write up and the kind follow up.

TTYS,

Daniel

filterx

Great ride today up to Indian Arm and almost to Norton Lake. Lots of running water on the road from the rains but passable. Was by myself and no GPS so turned around about 7K mark heading to Norton Lake. Ran into a trio of DualsportBC riders who I met in Vernon last week. Also out enjoying the perfect weather. Will attempt Norton lake next time if riding with others. Cheers!

Ya the pic up to Norton looks worse than the last time I was up there and IMO good call not doing it solo :)

Did you see any salmon in the river at the bridge close to Indian Arm?

leebob

No, buddy, I wish it was only the foot. That’s a pain level I could work with, and now try thankfully, all healed up. I got one, then a couple says later, another kidney stone. Taking forever to move, and am on pain drugs strong enough to likely get the attention of a Sinoloa cartel chemist.

Just glad this all happened after my solo trip up In-Shuck-ch, and not during. That would have been interesting, for sure.

Let’s stay in touch, and when I have concrete dates, I’ll reach out. Having more folks along would be great, too. Bike is already turned around (new fluids and filters, inspection, etc.) - I got that done the day after I got back and before this all hit. Just pack and go.

Next Mon/Tue look good weather wise, so that’s what I’m roughly targeting, as Mrs CM works Wed - Sunday and I need to look after the mini-Maximi.

Thanks again for the great report write up and the kind follow up.

TTYS,

Daniel

Dude, that doesn’t sound fun. Heal fast.
I’d be up for a toot up to Indian Arm! Norton lake bigger bike friendly???

Ya the pic up to Norton looks worse than the last time I was up there and IMO good call not doing it solo :)

Did you see any salmon in the river at the bridge close to Indian Arm?
No salmon to speak of, although I was more focused on the scenery. And after looking at some maps my trek to Norton Lake I had taken the wrong turn at the fork. So just as well I turned around. Another item, it looks like these roads run quite a ways east. Would like to explore these sometime.

I think Norton is ok for bigger bikes. With this weather I am going to shoot up there again to Indian Arm and Norton Lake, this Thursday. If you're open I can meet up at the United Church and Taylor Way (9am), West Vancouver or the first gas station is Squamish, below the Chief (10am). Of course this is open to all riders who might catch this thread.

Righteous, Lee, I’m glad to hear you’d be interested. This would be a fun way to link an area typically favoured by Fraser Valley riders to one by favoured the Vancouver/North Shore crowd.

I’m certainly working on getting better. I’ve only averaged less than a cup of food per day worth of appetite and I drink as much water as I can hold in. I’m looking at Mrs Maximus’ family dinner plan for tonight and it may be something I can actually sample decently.

Lee, would you be coming North on 99 toward Squamish, or would you want to do the whole loop I’m doing, going North all off-road along West Harrison and East Lilooet before travelling South to Squamish? Either is fine by me - just need to know if my Day 1 will be solo or not.

My main reason for doing this ride is to visit Sloquet Hot Springs and relax camping after that. So while some might want to do this as a single day all round, I have no reason to make this a nearly 1,000 single day ordeal. I’ll be happy to hit In-Shuck-ch as early as possible, have lunch and soak at the Springs for an hour, ride up to Twin One Creek for a pleasant dinner and camp. Then hit the road such that we can hit Squamish on Day 2 around 0800–0900 for breakfast with the Vancouverites, then do the Arm and back. Hopefully dropping off the Vancouverites home by around 1700 and us Surroff an an hour or so later.

I have some flexibility-but that’s my concept for those doing a longer overnight to meet up with those wanting just Indian Arm for a single day.

@cabinfever : your assignment-based on where the start of the Indian Arm trail head is and I’m sure a better knowledge of what’s good and open now, can you please make a proposed breakfast RV location for us to meet at Tue morning? Also a recommended RV time at said location on Tuesday, based on you having just done the Arm? Those (or just me) coming the other way will adjust our timings accordingly. I threw out 0800-0900 - but I’ll defer to a time you’d think prudent for that day’s objective.

Cheers

Daniel

leebob

I think Norton is ok for bigger bikes. With this weather I am going to shoot up there again to Indian Arm and Norton Lake, this Thursday. If you're open I can meet up at the United Church and Taylor Way (9am), West Vancouver or the first gas station is Squamish, below the Chief (10am). Of course this is open to all riders who might catch this thread.
Unfortunately, it won’t be Thursday for me. Currently out of town until mid next week.

Daniel, I’m game for either expedition. Not quite set up for Moto camping yet but I’m sure I can make it work. Hope your feeling better

Righteous, Lee, I’m glad to hear you’d be interested. This would be a fun way to link an area typically favoured by Fraser Valley riders to one by favoured the Vancouver/North Shore crowd.

I’m certainly working on getting better. I’ve only averaged less than a cup of food per day worth of appetite and I drink as much water as I can hold in. I’m looking at Mrs Maximus’ family dinner plan for tonight and it may be something I can actually sample decently.

Lee, would you be coming North on 99 toward Squamish, or would you want to do the whole loop I’m doing, going North all off-road along West Harrison and East Lilooet before travelling South to Squamish? Either is fine by me - just need to know if my Day 1 will be solo or not.

My main reason for doing this ride is to visit Sloquet Hot Springs and relax camping after that. So while some might want to do this as a single day all round, I have no reason to make this a nearly 1,000 single day ordeal. I’ll be happy to hit In-Shuck-ch as early as possible, have lunch and soak at the Springs for an hour, ride up to Twin One Creek for a pleasant dinner and camp. Then hit the road such that we can hit Squamish on Day 2 around 0800–0900 for breakfast with the Vancouverites, then do the Arm and back. Hopefully dropping off the Vancouverites home by around 1700 and us Surroff an an hour or so later.

I have some flexibility-but that’s my concept for those doing a longer overnight to meet up with those wanting just Indian Arm for a single day.

@cabinfever : your assignment-based on where the start of the Indian Arm trail head is and I’m sure a better knowledge of what’s good and open now, can you please make a proposed breakfast RV location for us to meet at Tue morning? Also a recommended RV time at said location on Tuesday, based on you having just done the Arm? Those (or just me) coming the other way will adjust our timings accordingly. I threw out 0800-0900 - but I’ll defer to a time you’d think prudent for that day’s objective.

Cheers

Daniel
Hey Daniel,
Actually, I was intending to do the loop with you and do some camping. I can meet up with you on your end. I will be riding Indian Arm tomorrow with another confirmed rider and who ever shows up at the RV points. It is an enjoyable ride and hooks up with many other trails. Keep me posted with trip planning details.

leebob

Sorry Daniel, I missed the Mon/Tues part. I won’t be back yet. Once I am, I’d better stay close to home for at least a couple days before announcing I’m departing on another trip!

No worries. I kind of wondered about whether you’d have enough turnaround time your weekend trip and a Mon departure. That now makes sense.

Bruce, I am thrilled you’d do the whole thing with me. I assumed because of your location that doing the second day would be easier for you - but it’ll be nice to have company throughout. In-shuck-ch is a superb route with some great scenery, and I look forward to explore one the side trips (Sloquet) with someone.

As I plan this further, can give me your recommendation for when we should be hitting Squamish? Its been years for me - I just remember it being a full day. Guessing 0900 would be good?
I ask because I’ll post the ride details soon, and if folks from either Vancouver or nearby want to travel up to RV with us, they can.

Also re gear, are you totally sorted for camping?

cheers

D

majorbedhed

Sorry Daniel, I missed the Mon/Tues part. I won’t be back yet. Once I am, I’d better stay close to home for at least a couple days before announcing I’m departing on another trip!

My every day life too! Between using up all my holidays and trying to balance homelife - the riding for the balance of 2020 is going to be limited sad to say....but hope to hook up on the Indian Arm / Norton Lake part of this trip if it's done on a Sat or Sun and I have the required kitchen pass in hand!

majorbedhed

I did Indian Arm earlier this season and road was in good condition. Just looked at Gaia which is "suggesting" bridge out on road to Norton Lake? Anyone done this recently? I understand the BRMB layer is probably not updated, but thought I'd ask.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 11.28.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 11.28.50 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 7

offworlder

If I cant rope in others for an epic "end of season" (read: there is no end to riding season here 🙌) loop farther Northward, I'm up for a Friday Indian Arm jaunt. Cant make tomorrow/Thurs.

filterx

Unfortunately I have to work tomorrow and regardless the insurance is over for 2020 on my DRZ but I could start at Valley Cliff if I vanned in my CRF250R but not this Thursday.

Sounds like its going to get smoky tonight but the weather looks nice until at least next Wed.

Otherwise a GPX I recorded last time I was up to Indian Arm/Norton in Google Earth but IMO as long as you have enough gas, you can't get lost but IMO not sure how big of a bike I'd take up to Norton but depends on bike/rider etc.

Indian Arm.jpgNorton.jpg
I do live in Squamish but haven't been out much on either bikes this year :(

IMO the ride from Squamish to Indian is pretty cool cus your riding from one Fjord to another :)