Tomcycles New Xchallenge BMW G650 2008 3 Years, 20k and counting

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
imported post

imported post

It was my birthday a couple of days ago:wi:not getting any younger:(but having lots of fun along the way:hb:

So what do you get a guy like me?

Maybe a set of those balls that you hang from your trailer hitch?

Good Idea but Nope

1DSCN0508-med.JPG


A Closer Look

1DSCN0509-med.JPG


And look at the front tire

1DSCN0510-med.JPG


And of course the time tested gift of clothing, in blue, like what runs in my veins:dude:

1DSCN0511-med.JPG


You guys are too kind:hf:

Tom T

PS no jokes about blue balls

 

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
imported post

imported post

Got more stuff for the Xchallenge

I will be ready for next fall

1DSCN0516-med.JPG


These are the single best investment for cold weather riding.

Heated Grips

These install under your favorite grip and wire directly to your headlamp (not sure what you Husky guys are going to wire to). I have been using this make for 10 years and cant say enough good about them. I ride with my regular riding gloves down to 0c below that I wear the Acerbis O degree glove, and thats half the size of a winter glove.

Here in our climate you never now when its going to get cold. Take the Dead Zone, In the morning your in Spences Bridge and its 30, then its off to the top of Cornwall Hills some 6800 feet high and its snowing. Just a flick of the switch and my hands are kept toasty warm.

I have to do a plug for MTR Sports as he did the footwork to bring these little gems to Canada, (otherwise I bought them from the States)

Install a set of these on your bike and you will wonder why the bike didn't come standard with them.

Tom
 

joker650

Active member
imported post

imported post

Heard a little trick of wireing them in through a realy and the netural light. That way when ur stoped and the engine is at low rpm the batterie won't be suked dry.



How much were those ones Tom? Was think'n bout getting a set. Do they make the grips a lot bigger diameter?
 

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
imported post

imported post

joker650 wrote:
Heard a little trick of wireing them in through a realy and the netural light. That way when ur stoped and the engine is at low rpm the batterie won't be suked dry.



How much were those ones Tom? Was think'n bout getting a set. Do they make the grips a lot bigger diameter?
At 25 watts maximumI dont think you have to worry about your battery. Dirt bike guys dont worry about things like cold hands, Mention things that run on electricity and they get all confused:TTT:

I think the grips are $45.00 but check with MTR sports http://www.mtrsports.com/

They work perfectly with standard and fatty bars. They are installed under your grips.

Tom
 
G

Guest

Guest
imported post

imported post

joker650 wrote:
Heard a little trick of wireing them in through a realy and the netural light. That way when ur stoped and the engine is at low rpm the batterie won't be suked dry.



How much were those ones Tom? Was think'n bout getting a set. Do they make the grips a lot bigger diameter?

Just don't power the beer fridge while at an idle and you will be fine Joker.



Tom, as mentioned already, you need a lot more Beemer decals, its looking kind of sparce as is. ;)
 

North

Active member
imported post

imported post

Seeing that chainsaw on your bike really made me laugh.:clap:

The Funny thing is, that's it's a hell of an idea.:tup:

(Too bad it'snot a Husqvarna chainsaw.:))
 

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
imported post

imported post

Finally

Got the heated grips on, could have used them last weekend when we rode around the Coquihalla Lakes.

Also mounted an auxiliary fuel cel Koplin 5.6L on the right side of the bike, going to try that out this weekend too. That will give me range of over 350K :tup:

Need both these things working properly for the Baja

Will post newpics later



tt
 
B

banjopete

Guest
imported post

imported post

Nice work with the Challenge, I'm watching keenly as this bike seems to be holding up well for you under all the conditions they advertised.
 

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
imported post

imported post

October 21 / 2008

Now 8 months Old 7000 Kms

Repairs or Failures to date

  • removed side-stand safety switch
  • broke rear licence plate tail light section (Touratech, think I will try the Baja Designs tail light section)
  • Removed the rear fender plastic(to make room for the Koplin Aux fuel cell)
So far the bike has done everything I wanted and more, many of you that have ridden with me think I treat it more like a dirt bike. I have only done about 1000 Kms on pavement, the rest is off road and trails.:tup:

1DSCN08671-med.JPG


Here you can see how the bike is going to be set up for Baja Duty, Tank pannier bags. Also I have removed the rear plastic fender, lowered the rear rack, this allowed for room to mount the Koplin Aux fuel cell (you will see it on the right rear)5.6 litres that gives me a range of about 350 kms.

245harrison_greenlk_2008_27_-med.JPG


Dont look at the flat tire, here you can see the fuel cell nice and far back and level with the seat

1DSCN0873-med.JPG


Here if you look at the fuel cell you can see how close it is to the side of the bike, in fact it is a lot narrower than theKTM and Honda'smain fuel tanks.

The Koplin tank is low and close to the bike so you dont even notice it there, not even when you swing your leg over or that big right hand leg dab on the trail. Only have done about 1200 kms with it but have had zero problems. best 75 dollar aux fuel cell I have had to date.

1DSCN0871-med.JPG
 
G

Guest

Guest
imported post

imported post

Hey Tom, its looking good.

I particularly like the pics with your chainsaw going for a ride......darn near mandatory on some trails.:dr:
 

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
imported post

imported post

January 16 2009 Update

7200 Kms

Just got the bike back from Pacific BMW for it service and some warranty work.

The service charge was only 75.00

I had one of those G650s that the air bag for the rear suspension was rubbing on the inner mud flap. Thanks to Steve H who warned me about this I caught it before it was a problem. Pacific BMW replaced the rear shock no problems :clap:

Now I was a little disappointed with the dealers attitude toward the complaint I had about the Steering Head Bearing and Wheel Bearings. I was told they were not covered under warranty. When I had problems with my wheel bearing on my DRZ I had no problems having them replaced under warranty. I did not labour the point about the bike only being 9 months old and only 7100 kms, it seemed they were going to hold their ground on not covering the bearings. Since its only 3 weeks to Baja I need to get this done and dont have time to screw around, so I did them myself.I was told that they hardly put any grease on these bearings, this is a story I know true with any Japanese bikes. This is not true with BMW, lots of grease on these bearings.

Last note, I am known to ride through deep water.

Below is a picture of the Bearings. Every one of them is shot, one was completely destroyed and two you could not turn by hand, the rest where rough.



SKF Explorer series bearing, the best bearings SKF makes. SoImake a quick call to BC Bearing and give them the numbers. All bearings were stock items and in stock locally 16 to 25 dollars each that included the steering head bearing. Still neeed 8 bearings:(. The job is done and I am ready to tackle the rest of the worn out parts.

Below is a picture of the new Mitas E09 Dakars front and rear



These tire have a very stiff carcass, I even skinnedtwo knucklesinstalling these bad boys, I will have a report on these tires when we get back in February

Tom




 

TheYak

New member
imported post

imported post

hey, looking good tom!

On my xcountry i have had the same "problems" (side stand switch removing itself...oops and the same for the rear plate holder) but yeah awesome overall

as far as the steering head bearings and the wheel bearings thay should be covered untill atleast 7500km (id PM BMWnut to confirm...i would check but im away from the shop at the moment doing school) as far as i knew...all items (even wear items) are covered below 7500km

n516424212_565929_6729.jpg
 

Island Hopper

New member
imported post

imported post

joker650 wrote:
That rear still looks like the E-09.

Is there a diff?

$$$$ ?
The Dakar EO-9s are the same tire but they have a stiffened sidewall carcass..... I am most of the way through one of new front EO-9s and am a little disappointed with this tire.... The tread depth is too shallow and doesn't seem to provide the bite that it should.....
 

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
imported post

imported post

Island Hopper wrote:
joker650 wrote:
That rear still looks like the E-09.

Is there a diff?

$$$$ ?
The Dakar EO-9s are the same tire but they have a stiffened sidewall carcass..... I am most of the way through one of new front EO-9s and am a little disappointed with this tire.... The tread depth is too shallow and doesn't seem to provide the bite that it should.....

The E09 Dakar is one stiff tire compared to most other tires. I am hoping they will be a good Baja tire. I agree that I think the tire is not aggressive enough for the local terain. Will see

Tom
 

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
imported post

imported post

TheYak wrote:
hey, looking good tom!

On my xcountry i have had the same "problems" (side stand switch removing itself...oops and the same for the rear plate holder) but yeah awesome overall

as far as the steering head bearings and the wheel bearings thay should be covered untill atleast 7500km (id PM BMWnut to confirm...i would check but im away from the shop at the moment doing school) as far as i knew...all items (even wear items) are covered below 7500km

I did talk to BMWnut and he has confirmed what you say. I did not have the time to argue the point with the service manager. I know I could get the job done faster myself. I do intend to take this up with them later and will report.

Tom
 

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
imported post

imported post

January 20 2009

Mitas E 09 Dakar

Took the bike for a quick ride to make sure I tightened all the bolts before Baja.

The E 09s are smooth and quiet on the pavement, only did about 100 kms today. Did notice that the extras stiff carcass at slow speeds rougher, thats OK by me. Had the bike up around the 140 KMH mark and tires are smooth and straight, very nice.

Now its time to take them to Baja see how they handle off road

Tom



 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top