Bill 13 Off Road Vehicle Act for BC


Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member

I think you just about got it all, and looks pretty good

I'd be interested to hear what the RCMP say if they pull you over riding up the side of the hi-way to squamish on your OHV/PLI non- street legal dirt bike. You could ask them before hand.

The plate and the ICBC insurance does not allow you to ride on the side of the road. I believe this is so they can create crossings for OHV, but I dont know of any at this time.



New member
Not sure if any of this is new, but here is what I received today. Figured I would just keep passing things along to anyone that might care.

Further to our phone conversation yesterday, this letter is to confirm that you have <cut to protect the innocent> basic third party liability coverage on your above mentioned dirt bike while it is being driven on a highway through ICBC which includes:

  • every highway within the meaning of the Transportation Act,
  • every road, street, lane or right-of-way designed or intended for or used by the general public for the passage of vehicles, and
  • every private place of passageway to which the public, for the purpose of the parking or servicing of vehicles, has access or is invited, but
  • does not include an industrial road.

However, <cut to protect the innocent> is providing Third Party Liability coverage of up to <cut to protect the innocent> for any off highway use(such as Forest Service Road and crown Land, pastures etc).


Now I'm thoroughly confused.
Does this mean that the Third party component of my ICBC insurance is INVALID when I am riding on FSR's, trails and other off-road ventures?


Yes my understanding is you are not allow on the side of a road or highway.

With that said r1200gsa's post has me a little confused.....

My take of what you are posting is that you have PLI IF you choose to take your NON-STREET Legal/OHV only plated dirt bike on a highway etc.

Im pretty sure that If you get pulled over by the RCMP, they are still going to want to see your class 6 (which I assume you have), that the bike is street legal, and that it's plated/insured for highway use. I believe you will get ticketed for these things.

To TW_rider....

I have to be careful here since this is a dual sport forum and I am assuming that a lot of people are on legal/plated dirt bikes.

I assume you not taking about a have a legal/plated dirt bike.

I get my yearly PLI for me to ride ANY dirt bike from Oasis through BCORMA so not sure about ICBC PLI for you. PLI as it say's is personal and is not dirt bike specific and this is not changing if you want to ride places that . My understanding is with ANY registered/OHV plated bike and having PLI you can ride FSR's etc. ICBC should confirm where your PLI covers you to ride.

They only thing with FSR's as I posted is that SOME MAY change to fall under MTO. You would then need a class 6 to ride the FSR's under MTO rules


New member
That is correct (TW).

It's my understanding that he was trying to clarify that the coverages between ICBC and in my case Beacon are not cumulative in the case of the bullet points listed above.

My ICBC coverage covers $200,000 (meant for on-road, crossings, unloading, etc.), and Beacon covers Y dollars (meant for off-road). He originally stated it would be X plus Y, but it's actually X or Y which is a huge difference in coverage should something happen on what ICBC considers to be on road. For anyone planning to do a lot of "road/highway", you want to be cautious with how much coverage you are paying for. I assume you could get a lot more coverage from ICBC, but you aren't getting it for $96 bucks a year.

Disclaimer - The agent had never done a dirt bike before, and is doing his best to sort through it all. I would have a hard time blaming him should he be incorrect.
Last edited:


Spoke with an agent last evening. She said..
The first question she will ask an atv owner is where they want to ride?
Private property or crown land and whether they will be crossing any highways.
Private property: No insurance req'd
Crown land: 3rd party liability through the underwriter of your choice
Crossing highways: Only ICBC can issue this insurance and she said her understanding is that it is mandatory if you want to cross any civic road or highway.....but get this; she said that even if you shut the bike off and push it across her understanding is that you must insure through ICBC for this crossing.

She is not looking forward to the wrath from customers when they try to sort all this out come June.


Still confused...
So my 3rd party liability from ICBC, for my DUAL-SPORT bike is invalid along an FSR or trail? Why are we asked to have "plated" bikes for the C routes?
Why wouldn't the insurance agent explain this during the process?


This is painful isn't it? Cretin-like icbc agents don't help. Rest assured you do have 3rd party liability
on FSR's and Crown land.



New member
I am certain ICBC insurance on a plated ds bike will cover you for liability on an FSR, otherwise no car or truck could drive an FSR either. ICBC liability insurance should cover any liability related to a plated bike any time you aren't doing something actually illegal on it (e.g. as long as you aren't being charged with a criminal offense in causing a crash).

It gets messy around non-plated bikes, where you will require other insurance like what you can get through BCORMA for FSR's. Maybe I'm missing something entirely here, but I thought the new registration rules were strictly that -- registration -- and did not include any kind of insurance, so no actual change from the previous coverages and requirements for ds vs ohv bikes?



New member
Sorry guys, didn't mean to add confusion. I was speaking about registration and insurance of RUM bikes, not Dual Sports, for the purpose of this thread, and I'm definitely no expert in coverage policies.

Had to bring my girlfriend over twice to proof read what I was typing in to make sure it reflected the information we were provided as accurately as possible. To reiterate, the info I posted only applies to the (new) XC that I just had to put through the process. I'll leave it to people on the forum smarter and more knowledgeable than myself for figuring out what is information and what is misinformation.


Senior Member
I almost registered 3 off road bikes this weekend after spending 4 hours (Sat and Sun) with 4 different insurance girls (same office) who were not busy with other customers. All 4 girls had gone to a course but they said the course wasn't that good and there were unanswered questions. In the end I successfully registered 2 bikes which I imported from USA but the GasGas trials bike was unregisterable because of a computer glitch related vin recognition. They said I have to come back between 8:30 and 4:15 during week days so they can fax things to ICBC.
Also they required a picture of the vin# or viewing the bike. For all bikes I had all the proper papers (import documents, bills of sale etc.). The imported bikes previously had the 5% gst. paid so I only had to fork over 7% pst more.
The GasGas trials bike
had the gst and pst paid last year so no taxes will be due once they figure out how to register it. If you can't prove taxes have been paid in the past when you purchased the bike it looks like you'll be stuck with 12% plus the registration fees and perhaps statutory declaration fees from lawyer or notary if you don't have bill of sale.

I'd advise people to register before the mandatory date this summer. There may big traffic jams at insurance agents and a lot of unhappy people who have to part with hundreds of dollars in fees and taxes. Also many people will be refused registration until they come back with more documents. They also seem to be pushing the "crossing the public road" insurance.

There doesn't seem to be any rules specifying where the plates should be mounted.

Duelsport bikes sure are simple to register.


Active member
yup...I like the earlier posted idea of installing a plate that ya found on the trail.
While out on the Dualsport I will be keeping an eye open on the trails :^)


New member
I tryed to read and understand all of this But one simple questions. If I have a registered dualsport bike now I am ok to ride this pretty much anywhere? If so I think I will scrap my idea of buying another RUM bike and buy another dualsport.


Active member
i don't think this bill will affect plated dualsport bikes at all. so my info say's the answer to your question will be yes.


Administrator / BFF in the blue jacket
Ideally, the folks who wrote letters etc. to their MLA's etc. will follow up / express some acknowledgment or appreciation.

Ditto for Peter and the many volunteers at BCORMA; they deserve our thanks for carrying this fight.

To Peter & the volunteers & letter-writers that fought against the absurdity of the metal plates & rush for compliance in the face of uninformed ICBC & enforcement personnel; please accept my sincere thanks.

That's it - off my soapbox now.


To Peter & the volunteers & letter-writers that fought against the absurdity of the metal plates & rush for compliance in the face of uninformed ICBC & enforcement personnel; please accept my sincere thanks.

This is indeed a positive move - thank you to everyone who made their voice heard, and lobbied for our safety !


New member
This is great news for sure, but from the article

The sticker will be a similar size as the number plate

Really? They are going to hand out license plate sized stickers, rather than the fork stickers that are used everywhere else OHV's are registered? Bizarre, and will still look fairly comical on my daughters PW50, but at least it won't be dangerous.