BMW G450X is here

joker650

Active member
imported post

imported post

And if it is so high maintenance, why release it as a street legal enduro style bike? why not keep the plates and lights off of it and sell it as strictly a race bike?


Cuz there is a market for it.

This bike is not "my cup of tea". But I'm sure there are many a man and girl that will find this bike just what their looking for.



I don't think it was ment as a DS Touring bike. But from the garage to the MX track or woods I think it would be a prety fun ride.



60HP and 260Lbs this bike will be as fun and exciting as riding my 100Hp, 420Lb SE 950:ted:
 
G

Guest

Guest
imported post

imported post

tomcycle wrote:
The perfect dual sport bike if I read you correctly.


I never called the RD a dual sport, it's a road race derrived bike.

As for it smoking, it may be a two stroke but it's never smoked more than a few puffs on startup.
 
G

Guest

Guest
imported post

imported post

joker650 wrote:
60HP and 260Lbs this bike will be as fun and exciting as riding my 100Hp, 420Lb SE 950


It may be fun and exciting to ride, but if you have to trailer it to go riding with friends say in Kamloops or Vernon, whats use is it?
 
S

SheWolf

Guest
imported post

imported post

Here you go Tibby. Just make sure to keep air in the tires.:mad2:
 

Attachments

  • 8907N06B20French Moped rider3.jpg
    8907N06B20French Moped rider3.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 0
G

Guest

Guest
imported post

imported post

SheWolf wrote:
*looks down*

I SHAVED!!!:shock:


YOu left your tail and ears on again X3


Back on topic.... I've really nothing against the G450X... I was just... A little put out by it, all the horsepower and minimal weight means nothing if you can't ride it up to go riding with friends.
 

joker650

Active member
imported post

imported post

Tibarus wrote:
SheWolf wrote:
*looks down*

I SHAVED!!!:shock:


YOu left your tail and ears on again X3


Back on topic.... I've really nothing against the G450X... I was just... A little put out by it, all the horsepower and minimal weight means nothing if you can't ride it up to go riding with friends.

The thing is , is that there are many bikes to choose from, and people will buy the one that works for them.

Some Like DRZ400's, some like TTR 250's and some even like KLR's;).....hell some people even like CR500AF 2-strokes(although I've never known anyone thats had one)

I bought a 950 so I can ride single track and still ride 2-up to Alaska. Would Iexpect the 450 BMW to do the same thing...NO
 

Loz

New member
imported post

imported post

Tibarus wrote:
After reviewing numerous write ups and various threads, I've found that spending close to 10 000$ on a bike that can't even cruise as fast as my 26 year old underpowered and overweight KZ440 would be a complete waste of money.

If there was ever a bike that killed my opinion of BMW, the G450X has to be it. It's a lot of hype for a bike that doesn't really perform that well... Sad really...

Oh that's priceless tibby.:clap: Do you actually ride off road?

Look; the G450 is not meant to be a dual sport bike as I (or you?) would term it. OK?. It's just a competition ready enduro bike that's road legal. So you don't need a trailer and can hook up trails separated by roads. Shit! half the guys on this site ride enduro bikes that are plated for that very reason; not continent hopping.

S'ok that you don't like it but you're gonna upset people by slagging a bike for not being something it was never meant to be and / or something you are not looking for. It's not fair.

It performs very well in the role for which it was designed. Try this post to find out what the beemer is good for

http://www.dualsportbc.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=6072&forum_id=9

Have you considered a KLR?

No offence to KLR owners
 

BMWNut

Member
imported post

imported post

Tibarus wrote:
I feel the G450X is a great bike, just not a very refined bike. I feel like BMW haphazzardly slapped it together just to get it to market.
[/quote]

Well for something that they "haphazzardly slapped it together" it did pretty good in it first full year of racing. German cross country series it was first, and the European cross country series again first. Are you saying all the other companies, Honda, Yamaha, KTM, Gas Gas, etc, were caught with their pants down?

Name another bike that can win multiple racing series at this level, AND is street legal, AND has any warranty at all let alone 3 years. Post up if you find any.....
 
S

SheWolf

Guest
imported post

imported post

I talked him into a WR.:mi: *grins*
You know, I took a look at that 450 and it is definitely a looker, I'll give it that. It sat lower than the Husky did, but I'd say the suspension on the Husky would have been a nice feature on the Beemer. JMO.:tup: The only thing I have hear about the Beemer is that they are a real pain in the butt to work on. Two of the guys I work with own them and that (plus the price of parts) were the only things they bitched about. I was impressed to see BMW come out with a road legal enduro; too bad I never got a shot at riding it. I love to test ride bikes at any given moment.:hb:
 
G

Guest

Guest
imported post

imported post

BMWNut wrote:

Well for something that they "haphazzardly slapped it together" it did pretty good in it first full year of racing. German cross country series it was first, and the European cross country series again first. Are you saying all the other companies, Honda, Yamaha, KTM, Gas Gas, etc, were caught with their pants down? Name another bike that can win multiple racing series at this level, AND is street legal, AND has any warranty at all let alone 3 years. Post up if you find any.....

I never said it wasn't a good race bike, I'm saying they dropped the ball on it's road worthyness. 10 000$ for a bike that doesn't even cruise as fast as a CRF230L when the CRF only costs a bit over 5500$, it doesn't make much sense to me. I realize it's only street legal so it can cross roads to get to trails, but really, they could have equipped it better for the road, something closer to the G650X Challenges ability.
 

greenlake

New member
imported post

imported post

It's fairly obvious to me, that you are slagging a bike because you can't afford it. This is no problem. we all have to look in our piggy bank and buy what is best for us. I spent $10K on my KTM and re-geared it for the tight stuff. I lost about 15kph on the top end, but I am still happy because it is what I want. Find out what you want and go buy it, but don't throw shit on a bike just because it is not suited for "YOU". Go get your CRF230 and ride it back and forth to Kelowna and have a hell of a good time.
 
G

Guest

Guest
imported post

imported post

greenlake wrote:
It's fairly obvious to me, that you are slagging a bike because you can't afford it. This is no problem. we all have to look in our piggy bank and buy what is best for us. I spent $10K on my KTM and re-geared it for the tight stuff. I lost about 15kph on the top end, but I am still happy because it is what I want. Find out what you want and go buy it, but don't throw s*** on a bike just because it is not suited for "YOU". Go get your CRF230 and ride it back and forth to Kelowna and have a hell of a good time.

Stop putting words into my mouth sir, I never once said I couldn't afford the bike. Infact, it was the bike I was looking into getting over ANY other bike because I know BMW for their quality of bike and manufacturing. What I am saying is, If I'm going to shell out close to 10 grand for a bike, I want said bike to do most, if not everything I ask of it, which is to be as capable ON ROAD as it is OFF ROAD, is that so much to ask for? I don't think it is.

I guess I'm just a bit sore that if I get into dual sport riding, something I REALLY want to do, I'm not going to be able to stay with the brand I love so much. They've pretty much left us hanging without a good performing, reliable (IE: Low maintenance but still able to rip you off the seat performance) Dual Sport bike.
 
S

SheWolf

Guest
imported post

imported post

You're trying to tell a wolf to stop looking for his bone...he'll never stop digging. Unless of course you add a woman into the equation. *ducks*:f:
 
G

Guest

Guest
imported post

imported post

Loz wrote:
When in a hole..... stop digging. Ever heard that one?:tup:


I stand by my claim, all the horsepower, low weight and high performance in the world means absolutely nothing if you have to put it in the back of a truck to get it anywhere thats more than 50 km away.
 

SubMann

New member
imported post

imported post

It's not meant for that purpose!

It is not a dual sport motorcycle!

It is and enduro race machine that can legally cross roads to link trails.

I guess for you they should have kept the lights off.
 
O

old trials guy

Guest
imported post

imported post

I find this quite an amusing thread. It really shows how passionate and opinionated people can become about motorcycles.

There is no doubtthat the Bimmer 450 will perform better on the road than aCRF230. I have spent a lot of hours on small Honda fourstrokes and they are great bikes but they are not in the same league as the X-cross.

My Sherco "race bike" has served me well on trips to Saltspring, Sechelt and Squamish, all considerably greater than 50 km trips. When it comes to the ugly "A" sections I tackle them withouthesitation as my "race bike" isgreatwhen it is in it's element. When it gets really ugly, I leave my big Sherco at home and take out it's little brother, the Sherco 2.9 trials which doesn't even have a seat. If I could afford it I would have a big bike for serious adventures. The point is, there is so much riding to do, so many great bikes to enjoy, why not try as many different aspects as you can and forget searching for the perfect can do everything bike, that's like playing golf with one club in the bag:).

Every bike is a compromise and I have yet to find the perfect bike after 40 years of searching but I enjoyed riding every bike I have owned and that includes my Suzuki 80 Trail Ilogged 10,000 MILES on when I was a kid! I thought it was the perfect dual sport bike and it handled Kimberley to Nelson over Grey Creek back in 1967 without a problem.


K 15 Hill-Billy/Trail 80 1965
Overall length: 1 820 mm (72.1 in)
Overall width: N/A
Overall height: 855 mm (33.6 in)
Wheelbase: 1 160 mm (45.7 in)
Dry weight: 70,5 kg (155 lbs)
Engine: Air-cooled 79 cc single cylinder 2-stroke. 7,3 hp/ 7,000 rpm, 0,75 kg-m (5.41 ft-lbs)/ 6,000 rpm. Top speed: 60/38 mph (touring/trail sprockets)


1965-66_K15_red_500.jpg




It isn't what you ride, it's howyou ride it.....otg
 
Top