General Discussion and Question thread for the 2010 Dead Zone

G

gritboyweir

imported post

imported post

Hey there,

I am going to come up from Seattle and do this event - do I still need a trailpass number? Seems a tiny bit unfair to have to join a club to do one event :) Not moaning because I definitely believe in these type of clubs - its just that membership isn't very useful to me.

Cheers,
TimWeir

skidmark43

Administrator / BFF in the blue jacket
imported post

imported post

gritboyweir wrote:
Hey there,

I am going to come up from Seattle and do this event - do I still need a trailpass number? Seems a tiny bit unfair to have to join a club to do one event :) Not moaning because I definitely believe in these type of clubs - its just that membership isn't very useful to me.

Cheers,
TimWeir

Hi Tim.

We're glad that you'll be joining us!

I understand that the Trailpass requirement creates a glitch for our US friends. I recall that the Washington & Oregon pass system that I've paid into is substantially cheaper.

At this point it appears to be a necessary insurance requirement (organizer & landowner liability policy).

Proudly consider yourself to be a major supporter of trail access in BC, and we'll make every effort to provide you $100 worth of entertainment!

Mark

skidmark43

imported post

imported post

gritboyweir wrote:
Hey there,

Cheers,
TimWeir

Join us for more than one event!

You just missed a fabulous ride on Vancouver Island...

• In mid-July there is the popular 'Routledge Run' overnighter from Surrey to Princeton over some very cool terrain.
  • The 'Loose Screw' based out of Kamloops in BC's dry interior is held in mid-August and offers another great opportunity for you to realize value from the Trailpass.
  • We're still hoping to host the dualsport-friendly '24 hours of Church' in mid-September.

G

gritboyweir

imported post

imported post

Ah fair enough !! Thanks for the replies - I'm IN - I'll send off my $40 extra for my trailpass with the entry fee. It will certainly make my US buddies jealous of my international motorcycle adventurer status :)

M

mtber

imported post

imported post

C-Route info? I need some information on a good scenic route for fully-loaded dualsport bikes through your beautiful country. Are rollcharts from the 2009 or 2010 DZ routes available for purchase?

I ride a DR650 out of Seattle. Been dreaming about making it up to a DeadZone ride for a couple years. This year the timing is off because my brother and his wife will be dualsporting all the way up from Flagstaff, Arizona. I plan to join them in Seattle and ride up into BC for a Dual/DualSport ride of trials riding in Squamish and DR riding on east from there back down intoWA, ID, MT, CO for the Ute Cup trials competition on Aug 20-21.

Thanks for any leads on good atlases, backroad maps, waypoint info, camping spots, survival guides, etc....

Hope to join you all someday for a group ride.

Thanks,

Jim in Seattle

skidmark43

C-Route info? I need some information on a good scenic route for fully-loaded dualsport bikes through your beautiful country. Are rollcharts from the 2009 or 2010 DZ routes available for purchase?

I ride a DR650 out of Seattle. Been dreaming about making it up to a DeadZone ride for a couple years. This year the timing is off because my brother and his wife will be dualsporting all the way up from Flagstaff, Arizona. I plan to join them in Seattle and ride up into BC for a Dual/DualSport ride of trials riding in Squamish and DR riding on east from there back down intoWA, ID, MT, CO for the Ute Cup trials competition on Aug 20-21.

Thanks for any leads on good atlases, backroad maps, waypoint info, camping spots, survival guides, etc....

Hope to join you all someday for a group ride.

Thanks,

Jim in Seattle

Hi Jim.
We prefer not to distribute prior year's rollcharts and ask participants to not give away our hard work on GPS files.
Let us know when you'll be in the area and I'm sure we can guide you through the area.
Mark

M

mtber

That's fair enough - not trying to skirt the system or anything. At this point I don't know what days we'll be showing up. If it's midweek and there is no helpful guide who can get free? Is there a good backroads atlas, like our Gazeteer maps that would give us a clue to good dirt roads?

We'll most likely have to be half way to Colorado by the time the Loose Screw occurs, but I'll forward that idea to the route designer.

Thanks!

Jim

M

Mr. Cob

Matty-D wrote:

I can't process a Dead Zone entry unless it has a Trail Pass number. However, if you want to send in your entry forms now you can email me your Trail Pass number when you get it.

DualSportBC also sells Trail Passes. If you include a a $40 payment with your Dead Zone entry fee I will send you a Trail Pass plus a reflective DSBC decal, a DSBC key chain, a DSBC mini decal and a DSBC pocket calendar. Not complicated at all :clap:.

-Judy-

Howdy Judy,

I had so darn much fun the last time I did this ride, two questions is this years ride "Ural-able" and do Yankees have to buy one of those trail pass thingies?

motoged

Dead Zoners,
Be reminded that Spences Bridge does not have a gas station....they removed it a few years ago and the closest fuel supply (aside from friendly locals with something for their lawnmower) is 26 miles north in Ashcroft or several miles north of that in Cache Creek (both are lovely rides).

So...........BRING GAS

Rib Eye

Just curious on the fuel situation for all the routes. ie - Is there going to be a opportunity for a fuel cache vehicle, or a gas station enroute, or should we plan to carry a little extra as required?

B-route has been mentioned to be about 250km - is that right?

C-route ... can you give a rough estimate for the total distance please?

Thks

skidmark43

Great question.
Mileages are not yet in for either route.
We are hoping to have a volunteer haul small jerry cans to McLean Lake for the B-route riders.
C-route riders historically haven't had fuel worries, but this year will have ez access to Cache Creek / Ashcroft if they do have the need.
As Ged said; please remember to arrive in Spences Bridge with full fuel tanks as the village does not have a gas station!
Mark

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
C route riders

Just a update for the C loop riders

Much of the C loop is new this year, for those C riders that want to try a challenge they can check out some of the B options and be able to return to the C loop if it is too much.

All reset point this year will be for All Riders
This means if you are riding with a different level of rider you should be able to meet at the reset point

We should have loop mileages posted by June 15 2010

Tom

Big Boar

All reset point this year will be for All Riders
This means if you are riding with a different level of rider you should be able to meet at the reset point

Tom[/QUOTE]

Thats a great way for friends that are at different skill levels to look out for each other and still finish the ride together. Sent my entry form in with 4 other friends today. We will be there with the party bus and ready to rock!!!! Two of the guys are reletively new to ds riding but are faily good dirt bike riders. I hope tha A is going to ware them out! he he he .
Big

tomcycle

Staff member
Rough estimate on the route lengths for the 2010 Dead Zone

The C route will be just under 200 kms Start to finish C riders can divert to Cache Creek if they need gas

The A B route will be just over 200kms Start to finish AB riders you guys are going to be in trouble if you cant get over 200 kms per tank

Tom

Buck

Rough estimate on the route lengths for the 2010 Dead Zone

The A B route will be just over 200kms Start to finish AB riders you guys are going to be in trouble if you cant get over 200 kms per tank

Tom

Are there any A/B type motorcycles with a stock tank that will go over 200 kms? Mine sure don't!

In previous years we rode the C and really enjoyed it. But last year rode the B, it was awesome.
Is this years B easier or harder than last years B?

Trying to decide which route is best... a C with B options might be the best choice. (?)

Thanks for all your hard work. I know what it's like! :)

Last edited:

JavaJude

Super Moderator
Hi Buck

Mark or Tom can comment on the degree of difficulty for this year's B loop.

But I can tell you that the C loop and the B loop will cross paths 6 times during the day. So if you find that the B loop is too hard you can switch over to the C loop at any one of the 6 Major Reset Points. They will all be marked on the Trail as well as on the the Route Sheets.

Also on the C loop there will be an option to go for gas in Cache Creek after the lunch stop. The A/B riders can also go into Cache Creek for gas if they need to but it will be about a 20 minute detour or maybe a bit longer (Tom can comment on this point also).

We will have more info for you after this weekend as we are heading up there first thing tomorrow (Saturday) morning. We hope to pre-ride all of the routes so we can get to work on the roll charts.

-Judy-

RiskMan

Cheque and forms are in the mail today for me and my son. Looking forward to it.

Buck, a solution to the small tank issue could be to fill your hydration pack with gas and drink from the streams..............just trying to problem solve.;)

Riskman

tomcycle

Staff member
B route and your stock tank

B route and your stock tank

Are there any A/B type motorcycles with a stock tank that will go over 200 kms? Mine sure don't!

In previous years we rode the C and really enjoyed it. But last year rode the B, it was awesome.
Is this years B easier or harder than last years B?

Trying to decide which route is best... a C with B options might be the best choice. (?)

Thanks for all your hard work. I know what it's like! :)

We are back from pre ride number 4 June 14 2010

Still have not done the compete route because of snow, but the B route will be just over 200 kms and the A will be a little longer

We will be having a gas stop for those with small tanks, the final details have not be worked out but we should have that done this week. right now it looks like we will have a gas stop at Reset Point 5 which is about 120 kms Reset 5 is at Mclean Lake. We would prefer smaller jerry cans, Canadian tire has the 10 litre on for under 5 bucks. We dont have the room to carry 20 litre jerry cans for everyone so please keep that in mind. Also jerry cans must be in good shape, not leaking or have a rag for a cap. The truck that is taking the gas, is not ours and we have to treat it with respect. Also your gas can must have your name and rider number on it. Tags will be available at the campsite at check in.

We will only be able to haul fuel for those who arrange this ahead of time so please make sure you PM or email me with your name and rider number

Follow this link for the Gas Stop Information

Tom