North Island Ride 09

beaver steve

New member
imported post

imported post

Shevthump cresting Pinder Peak climb...wait, where did Carey go??
 

Attachments

  • 131_3134.jpg
    131_3134.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 0
Y

yamalama

Guest
imported post

imported post

Fantastic venue. Fantastic weather. Fantastic people.
The finest group of people I have met, in a very long time.
Well done, David and crew!
 
M

myran

Guest
imported post

imported post

Well, I attended my first DSBC gathering this weekend, and I would have to say that this has been my absolute BEST motorcycle experience so far.

I packed up, and left Victoria about 9:30

DSC00245.jpg


One final "Goodbye"

DSC00246.jpg


Started my weekend off in usual Myran fashion

DSC00374.jpg


Seems you need more than a learners in order to roam free unchecked. As there was no cell coverage, I was told by a very polite peace officer I would have to walk back several miles to the nearest phone, call my wife in Victoria, have her hook up the trailer and come pick me up past Campbell River. Cool. Way, way Cool. Just then a rider pulled up on a Japanese road bike, something like 8000 cc 's. I asked if that gentleman would be a suitable supervisor, and was told " Sure, if he wants to". If there is a Heaven, then James I know there's a special place with a view set aside for you. And if there isn't, I'll see what I can do. I know some people. So, when I pulled into Woss (yes, it really is a place, not just a made up word) tired, stiff, and feeling the effects of no coffee, I was greeted with the most welcome sight.

DSC00247.jpg


A group of DSBC riders, fresh in off a nice ride were enjoying beverages and ice cream-like stuff. So, instead of having to find my own way, I was smartly escorted to my room with a view

DSC00251.jpg


A quick unloading, and it seemed before I knew it a quick ride was led by organizer and guide Dave (Islandhopper).

DSC00253.jpg


DSC00255.jpg


The next morning (Saturday) saw our group, again led by Islandhopper, off on a trip that was to include routes through Ports Alice and Hardy, but alas, large groups consume time that somehow seemed suspended.

DSC00260.jpg


Caves disappearing into the ground, sinkholes and old mines were scattered about the well planned route.

DSC00261.jpg


DSC00270.jpg


DSC00262.jpg


DSC00271.jpg


DSC00272.jpg


DSC00273.jpg


A tire changing class, again organized and led by our good host and, dare I say it, friend?, Islandhopper Dave.

Now, not everything turns out as we would like, but in the face of adversity, I would like to state here and now that the spirit of teamwork, kinship was never more evident than on this trip, and I am proud to say that Ihave had the honor of riding with you all. And let me also say, that without a doubt Mrs. Bajaman it has been my honor and my priviledge to have made your acquaintance.

Alas, all good things must come to an end,and so too did this day.

DSC00345.jpg


As I said on Saturday, I can't remember having had so much fun and still had all my clothes on.

I left this morning under the tutelage of Al, of the Surrey Sue and Als. A quick sidetrip to view some awesome caves,

DSC00368.jpg


http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv183/festaburt/DSC00365.jpg

DSC00372.jpg


and we were off to points South, Al for Nanaimo, I for Vic. Another stop in Woss(keep saying that word to yourself. See what happens!) for coffee and fuel, and the slab unrolled before us like the tongue of a German Shepherd on a hot summer day. I planned on stopp in in Courtney, but seat induced distress convinced me to stop short, and use the gas in my jerry can. Across the road, an elderly gent was trying to flag down some help. Being away from DSBC riders, Human beings quickly reaffirmed my general opinion of folks, ans deftly swerved to avoid causing any assistance. So, as I topped up my tank, my collegue Al tempted Fate, crossed the "Highway Of No Hope" and spat in the faces of the Gods and defied them by rendering DIRECTIONS!!!

DSC00373.jpg


After an experience like that everything else was smooth and easy. I parted ways with Al in Nanaimo, thanks for everything, and finished up in town at about 2:30.

What a weekend.
 

Stardog

New member
imported post

imported post

hi, stardog reporting on our bud guds doing in the hospital. he just got out of surgery and like mrs bajaman thought he did have a shattered lt. leg and two broken ribs but is doing fine.the ambulance did take him to comox,he expects to be off work for 12weeks and is in good spirits.everybody was great on this ride and i had a awesome time:hb:
 

Loz

New member
imported post

imported post

Awsome weekend! Thanks again to Island Hopper for hosting and for spending a lifetime finding all those amazing trails and places.

West coast dust, east coast dust , fish n' chips, chinese, fish boats, swiming in lakes, dust, waterfalls, caves, gourmet camping, dust, wind, sun (no rain), thrills n spills, hornets nests, B&B (beer n bullshit), ski hills. All packed into a few days. Did I mention the dust?

This pic is of the falls near Naka Creek rec site. Only 4 of us made it here on the way south on Sunday. Renov8 went for a swim and if you look carefully you can just make out Island Hopper on the ledge and TL Green behind the falls.

Loz out.............
 

Attachments

  • P1010810.JPG
    P1010810.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 0

Buck

Moderator
imported post

imported post

What a great shot! The sceneryup there isspectacular.. rugged mountains, caves, waterfalls, countless lakes.. immenseclouds of dust. ;)Thanks Dave, Mike, Paul and supportive wives! I'll post pics soon including the humping dualsportbc bumble bees!
 

TLGREEN

New member
imported post

imported post

I had such a great time guys!!! Thanks of course to David for putting up with all us for 3 days. Thanks to the people who waited out on the road till 12:30 am, I really appreciated that even though I didn't make it till 12:45. The signs really helped!

it was great to meet all of you & to see the "regulars" again.

I barely made the 7:30 ferry to the mainland but, I made it. I managed to get in some great sights on the way there though. I will post pics shortly.

I look forward to seeing & riding with you all again soon. In fact I am planning on heading over with my son on the back of the bike, the Aug 15/16th weekend to do some camping & exploring.

I'm still dusting off my equipment....:?



TL
 

Attachments

  • island ride 2009 017.JPG
    island ride 2009 017.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 0

Island Hopper

New member
imported post

imported post

Thanks again to everyone for coming up and making this a fun filled weekend...

I wish Kari all the best and a speedy recovery...

Here is a few pics from my lens:

IMG_2147.jpg

A view from Kinman

IMG_2154.jpg

A dip in the lake at the end of the day was much enjoyed...

IMG_2157.jpg

Paul and Al + Pinder

IMG_2161.jpg

Another shot of Pinder

IMG_2165.jpg
Buck and Kiwi on a terrestrial HWY...

IMG_2167.jpg

The guys are down there somewhere

IMG_2172.jpg

Al and Randy + Merry Widow MTN..

IMG_2180.jpg

The guys above the Keogh Valley

IMG_2181.jpg
Loz and Tracy in L.H. Caves


IMG_2183.jpg

More Caves..

IMG_2191.jpg

Tracy and the falls

IMG_2200.jpg

Under the Falls

IMG_2207.jpg

Renov 8 braving the cold water

IMG_2209.jpg

Last one is Loz, life is good...
 
Y

yamalama

Guest
imported post

imported post

David's tire changing seminar:
 

Attachments

  • tire p.jpg
    tire p.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 0
Y

yamalama

Guest
imported post

imported post

The peak:
 

Attachments

  • pk.jpg
    pk.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 0
Y

yamalama

Guest
imported post

imported post

the mine
 

Attachments

  • mine.jpg
    mine.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 0
Y

yamalama

Guest
imported post

imported post

air conditioning, shaft at bottom:
 

Attachments

  • fr.jpg
    fr.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 0

Kiwi

Member
imported post

imported post

What a great weekend! Thanks to David and crew....
The scenery is amazing up there, I'm looking forward to next year!
 
Top