What Is This Key For?

zoopdingle

New member
OK, so by way of introduction I hope this is not too stupid of a question. I have 4 keys for my 2013 DR650, 2 ignition keys and 2 smaller keys. I have no idea what these small keys are for. There is one on the right in this photo. Thanks!

 

Randual

Member
Does the bike have a separate tool box or compartment... with a lock??
My guess...I know the Sherpa has that, but it is the same key as the ignition!
 

Farp

Active member
The smaller key appears to have much more wear on it than the ignition key. Since you use the ignition key every time you use the bike the only way I can think of that the smaller key would show more wear is if it's from another bike. My guess is that you are not the original purchaser and the person that you bought the bike from left the key from a previous bike on the key ring when he sold you the bike. If you are the original purchaser and don't know what the smaller key is for then how did it get so worn? This isn't a trick question from you is it?

John
 

zoopdingle

New member
The smaller key appears to have much more wear on it than the ignition key. Since you use the ignition key every time you use the bike the only way I can think of that the smaller key would show more wear is if it's from another bike. My guess is that you are not the original purchaser and the person that you bought the bike from left the key from a previous bike on the key ring when he sold you the bike. If you are the original purchaser and don't know what the smaller key is for then how did it get so worn? This isn't a trick question from you is it?

John

No trick questions here! The bike is brand spanking new so the wear you're seeing is an issue with the photo.

I will drop by the dealership today and ask them.

PS. no lock on the tool holder.
 

zoopdingle

New member
Mystery solved! It's a key for a some panniers. They installed the panniers on a V-Strom in the showroom and accidentally put the keys on the envelope with my papers.
 
Top